All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating out
      #310056 - 06/28/07 08:51 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

My husband and I eat out frequently- mostly due to a hectic schedule- especially in summer.
I'm finding lately that it has been much harder to find something on a menu that I can eat that I actually like.
I drool over other people's salads.. I tear up when I can't find anything that seems safe... And forget dessert!

Does anyone else sympathize with this? It seems like no matter how hard you try, if you're going to a new restaurant it's usually so frustrating!?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating out new
      #310064 - 06/28/07 10:23 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Eating out is very stressful for me. Not only can I not order what looks good to me, but it seems like even if I order something I think is safe, I end up with problems afterwards. I ordered plain white rice and steamed veggies once and still had problems! Maybe it was just the stress of the experience, I don't know. It's very frustrating since eating out used to be something fun for my husband and I to do. Now all it does is cause problems.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310066 - 06/28/07 10:51 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I know what you mean.. it's almost more trouble or stressful than it's worth, but I refuse to give up going out! I feel like I can't let the IBS take that away from me too.

#310171 - 06/29/07 01:56 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

My husband and I do not eat out anymore unless it is Subway or Quiznos because I can definately find foods there that I can eat safely. It is very frustrating to go out and not find foods that are safe for me to eat so I cook for us at home. I can cook a variety of ethnic foods at home safely and it is much healthier than eating out. I really don't feel like I am being deprived because I cannot eat out anymore; I feel better which make the difference to me.

#310174 - 06/29/07 03:15 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I still enjoy eating out, but always stick to the safest foods. And I make sure that I go to restaurants that offer them (when I'm in control of the restaurant choice anyway). I rely a lot on shrimp cocktail and plain baked potatoes.

--------------------
Kim

#310208 - 06/30/07 02:56 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I hear ya! I miss eating out with my huband to! We went out a few weeks ago and I teared up because I knew with out looking at the menu I had to have chicken and pot for the hundred time. We went to subway last night and it wasn't that bad at least i go out and eat with him. Hang in there. glad I'm not alone!
emmasmom
ibs-c

#310239 - 07/01/07 08:53 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I don't think I have eaten out for the past 4 months! It is just way too complicated. Along with IBS, I am intolerant to wheat. I eat at home every night,always cooking my own dinner. I am only 19, and sometimes I wonder how much this is all going to limit me in the future. The last time I went out to eat I was so paranoid and couldn't even enjoy the experience. And when I travel, I take all my own food as well. But at least I know what I am eating, so I actually feel better knowing that.

Oh well, perhaps the modern world will someday come to understand IBS and the difficulties of eating out.

#310281 - 07/02/07 12:04 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Boy do I!!

My husband and kids have cast iron stomachs (compared to me) and enjoy ice creams and treats and nice meals out-and sometimes I can't resist joining in, only to be out of commission for the next three days!!!

Now, I take digestive enzymes and a small supply of fennel teabags, and assume we'll end up eating out somewhere (specially in summer) so I can take enzymes before we enter the restaurant AND after the meal, and order hot water for my teabags as my only drink, to be sipped with the meal, and so far it's really helped.

#310286 - 07/02/07 12:28 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

what enzymes? does it even work with eating ice cream? oh how i miss ice cream!!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#310287 - 07/02/07 12:32 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

what type of digestive enzyes do you take? And how does it work?

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#310296 - 07/02/07 01:31 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I'm also looking for a recommendation on digestive enzymes. Preferably ones that don't cause extra gas since it is my main problem.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310302 - 07/02/07 02:01 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I have been using Beano and find that it helps a lot with certain foods. I have also just ordered GasStop at my local HFS and that should be coming in today or tomorrow. I have read some good things on here about that product. I wil let you know if it works!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#310311 - 07/02/07 02:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, it is frustrating! Sometimes (a lot of times, in my experience) restaurants will post their menus online. This will let you see ahead of time, what choices you have. Also, when you order let the waiter/waitress know that you have food sensitivities. Rather than go into a long discussion about IBS (since not everyone understands or sympathizes), I just say that I have a dairy allergy and usually they can accomodate my order. Other than that, I avoid red meat and high fat food and stick with water or I'll ask for hot water and sip peppermint or ginger tea before the meal is served. (I'll bring my own tea bags if I don't think they'll have tea.)

You can have your salad! If you read Heather's book she recommends eating the salad after your meal, after you've had a good SF base and when your stomach's not empty. I believe she says this is how it's eaten in France. Make sure you get a low-fat, dairy free dressing.

#310319 - 07/02/07 03:39 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I agree with Maria. I usually always check the menu in advance. If it isnt posted I make sure to tell the server that I have an allergy to dairy and order chicken or fish

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#310323 - 07/02/07 05:02 PM
Liv1415

Reged: 06/21/07
Loc: Oregon

I know, it's hard for me too. I find that I can get grilled seasoned chicked usually, but with no fried sides (usually get rice or a baked potato....or veggies that aren't to gas-causing). I feel your pain about being wheate intolerant. I am not wheat intolerant, but I am hypoglycemic so I tend to have to eat a lot more protein than most people. That's kind of hard with IBS because a lot of the "safe" foods are pretty "carby". I'm learning new things every day, though......Thanks to this website!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2915

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review