All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Levsin/Hyoscyamine
      #310006 - 06/27/07 02:45 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Anyone taking Levsin (Hyoscyamine)? My GI just gave me an Rx for it... just wanted to know what everyone thought of it...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Levsin/Hyoscyamine new
      #310094 - 06/28/07 03:18 PM
Pud

not a single person?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

I've tried it. Didn't do a thing for me. But others seem to have positive experiences with it. nt new
      #310095 - 06/28/07 03:24 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#310105 - 06/28/07 04:00 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've used it and it was alright. Others on here swear by it. Try doing a search on the board because it has been discussed many times.

Edited by Gracie (06/28/07 04:00 PM)

Re: I've tried it. Didn't do a thing for me. But others seem to have positive experiences with it. nt new
      #310114 - 06/28/07 05:12 PM
Pud

what do you take?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Re: I've tried it. Didn't do a thing for me. But others seem to have positive experiences with it. nt new
      #310163 - 06/29/07 12:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The only medicine I take is Imodium on occasion. I follow Heather's diet, take acacia and an L-Glutamine supplement, and I'm on BC, which helps me tremendously.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#310164 - 06/29/07 12:58 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I took it for about a year when my IBS was really bad. I started out taking it a couple of times a day. It worked, but I got sick of being so tired from it that I was in bed by 8 or 9 every night and tired all day long to boot.

I slowly tapered off to once a day after about 3 weeks, then once a week, once a month, and then not at all.

As I became more stable and tweaked my diet (thanks to this site & Heather's books), I needed it less and less. I would not want to take it all the time.

#310245 - 07/02/07 04:48 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I am currently taking it. I took it years ago after trying bentyl and donnatol, which neither worked, after my IBS became more severe I was switched to Librax which I took for almost 8 years, Ibs starting getting worse, so my GI decided to try the Levsin again, I've been back on it for about 8 months. Right now I feel it is working ok, it does make you a little tired and give you a dry mouth, but I deal with that. My favorite GI doctor said that if it is prescribed to be taken 4 times a day, TAKE IT 4 TIMES A DAY not when you feel like it, when I took it in the past when I would get stable, I'd just take it as needed, so I am faithful this time.....except for a day or two I have never been without an anticholenergic and basically with the way my stomach cramps and the pain I am scared not to. My doc also told me you can take up to five a day (provided you are taking the .125mg) especially if your tummy starts cramping, slip one under your tongue (provided your get the sublingual ones) Hope this helps!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#310255 - 07/02/07 06:35 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,

Does Levsin help with bloating? I take Bentyl, which helps me for pain, but does nothing for bloat/gas.

#310258 - 07/02/07 07:00 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

The sublingual (under the tongue) levsin has a tad of peppermint in it, which help with the bloating, but for my bloating nothing seems to work as well as gasX and Heather's pepperming caps........I do also drink a lot of peppermint tea.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#310264 - 07/02/07 08:18 AM
Pud

my doctor told me to take it when i feel problems starting up... but uhhh it's an all day thing for me.. so i've been taking it a half hour before each meal and then one before bed.. at first it seemed to be a miracle.. and then i was getting the big D this weekend... could be because of some relationship problems that had me emotional.. but my main problem is gas... and i've been waking up gassy.. but atleast it's not an all day thing!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#310265 - 07/02/07 08:21 AM
Pud

i pretty much just started taking it.. but bloating and gas is pretty much why i am taking it.. i get D but only about twice a week and gas and bloating every day.. mostly all day.. it's horrible.. but since i started taking this... i only seem to be gassy in the am... but it has been only a few days... and i was really upset this weekend and drank.. so.. we'll see what happens now that i am happier and not drinking..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#310540 - 07/05/07 06:43 PM
SNH

Reged: 05/05/07

I have been using this for years. I always carry my bottle with me.
It does not help with gas or bloating but will relieve pain and spasms. It can make you sleepy until your body adjusts.
Good luck

#310838 - 07/10/07 05:57 AM
Pud

i was taking it 4 times a day... and it made me constipated for like 2 or 3 days and then gave me terrible D.. like whoooooa! so i dropped down to once in the morning and it seems to be working well.. much less gas and bloating!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#314007 - 08/27/07 12:18 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Hey- I just checked my med bag cause that looked familiar. I'm on LevBID/Hysocamine SO4 0.375 mg ext rel tab. I only take it in an extreme attack though. I have a small cup of hot peppermint tea prior to my meals now instead and it's worked fabulous. For a D attack- I take Lomodil or will alternate Lomidil and Immodium in an extreme attack. I find Immoduim to be extrememley harsh on my system and will stop me up for days...

LJ

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review