All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SF/IF Balance for IBS C'ers
      #309533 - 06/21/07 01:55 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I am having some difficulty finding the balance between SF and IF. It seems if I have too much SF I get C and if I have too much IF I get D. My first question is does SF bind you up? Heather says it doesn't but it seems to with me. My second question is how much IF doe you eat with each meal and snack. Right now I am taking benefiber before each meal/snack. So I am taking it 6-7 times a day. Is this too much? I am very confused...thank you for any input.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SF/IF Balance for IBS C'ers new
      #309537 - 06/21/07 02:08 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I do not use that much benefiber. I only use the benefiber when I feel that I need more of a soluable fiber base to keep my meals safe; I follow the recommended dosage on the package which is to use two teaspoons three times daily- I never use more than that amount. As a C, you definately need IF to keep you regular. The SF is to keep your meal safe. I eat TONS of fruits and veggies with every meal, but always at the end of the meal. I will eat veggies during the meal if they are well cooked or pureed. I have been on the diet for about nine months now and I can tell you that for Cers it takes times. Just hang in there and keep playing with the balances of IF and SF. You will find out what works best for you.

Re: SF/IF Balance for IBS C'ers new
      #309550 - 06/21/07 06:16 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Andrew,
The SF does not bind me up instead what it does for me is produce a bulkier stool. Without it my stool is pencil thin and incomplete. I only take Acacia so I can't comment on whether or not you are taking too much benefiber.
I quit stressing about how much SF & IF I was getting with each meal, and just plan a well balanced meal which includes protein in the form of chicken or fish, a SF, an IF, & fruit.
I do take half a dose of Miralax every night. I have a solid but soft BM almost every morning, and on the mornings I don't go, I don't worry about it or even think about it. My goal use to be getting off the Miralax, but you know what, I don't care about it anymore. I am just glad I have a BM. So what if I have to depend on Miralax. That is one less thing I have to be stressed about. I'm trying very hard to get control of my stress. I feel that is the secret to controling my IBS.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review