All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What are the theories on IBS-A??
      #309479 - 06/20/07 06:07 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Are most people on here just a plain ol' D or C? How many of us are A's? I used to be a D, then I became an A. When I think about it, for much of my life I have been an A. I remember going through periods of being a D and a C when looking back on my life.
Currently I am total A! It's getting a bit annoying. Sometimes I get really gassy, bloated and constipated. Other times I have D/loose BMs which is also kinda annoying. I wonder why this happens? Sometimes when I am really busy I can't go to the bathroom in the morning. When I finally relax, I will get D. I wonder why this yo-yo effect occurs?
What are your theories as to why IBS-A exists?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are the theories on IBS-A?? new
      #309486 - 06/20/07 07:08 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

My IBS started as C. I was so backed up I thought I was having kidney problems due to the sharp pains in that area. As I added more fiber into my diet I started to have D sometimes. Now I am usually one or the other... either I can't go or I go a lot all at once with cramping. It's very difficult to find the balance in between.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309487 - 06/20/07 07:19 PM
badtzjack

Reged: 05/08/07
Loc: NEW YORK

i agree! i am IBS-A and since i've been taking a fiber supplement (first citurcel caplets then Acacia) i do go but in the morning, all morning with minor or major cramps. when i increased Acacia to 1/2 teaspoons four times daily i went in the evening and had pain so bad i decreased back to 3 times daily. i'm afraid to increase the dose because i don't want more cramping, even though the pain is supposed to let up when one increases it. for something that isn't a laxative, it sures acts like one! i believe with IBS-A sufferers it is harder on us to find that balance.

Edited by jenrebecca34 (06/20/07 07:21 PM)

#309500 - 06/21/07 06:22 AM
ElenaDragon

When I go, it's in the morning too, right after I get up, usually after having gas and pain the previous evening. I might go a little at other times, but that's the main time. Honestly, I feel much better after getting it all out, so I usually feel great in the morning after going. Then as the day goes on, depending on what I eat, my symptoms start up again (mainly gas/bloating, and sometimes pain).

--------------------
Lisa

#309501 - 06/21/07 06:49 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I've only heard of D and C.. I'm guessing A is something like alternating?? I think this is me.. I used to get D every day.. now (sorry to get graphic) more solid BM's and only get D once or twice a week.. and every once in awhile I get C.. with not rhyme or reason.. other than.. sometimes it happens when I travel.. which I don't know if that makes sense or not.. but my main problem is gas and bloating.. it's horrible.. i get it to some extent every day.. some days worse than others.. sometimes it lasts all day! sometimes it's relieved when i have a bm... but sometimes not and sometimes i am going allll day! like yesterday and the day before!!! it hurts to have to go so much!! my bottom is not very happy with me.. lol.. anyone having similar problems? i don't wish this upon anyone.. but sometimes it helps to know someone else is dealing with it..

also.. whats best to take for gas? i try phasyme and gas x.. but it doesn't really help..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#309503 - 06/21/07 08:01 AM
ElenaDragon

Yes gas is my worst symptom. It is uncomfortable, makes my stomach stick out, makes a lot of embarrassing noise, and also makes it difficult for me to go until all the gas is out (often accompanied by mucus at its worst).

Following Heather's diet does help, especially getting the right balance of SF and IF. Also, I recently eliminated soy from my diet and I believe it has made a difference. Fennel tea is supposed to be good for gas/bloating... I purchased some fennel capsules since I don't like the taste of fennel, but it's hard to tell if they are helping or not.

--------------------
Lisa

#309504 - 06/21/07 08:23 AM
Pud

so you cut soy? do you avoid dairy too?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#309505 - 06/21/07 08:32 AM
ElenaDragon

Yes I avoid dairy too. Avoiding both is tricky, but doable. There are just some foods I don't eat, like cheese or yogurt. I drink almond milk and use it in cooking. Soy is mostly in a lot of packaged foods, especially stuff which claims to have a lot of protein (like some Kashi products), so reading labels is important as always. Eliminating soy hasn't gotten rid of my gas, but it has reduced it. My other reason for getting rid of soy is that I discovered it is a migraine trigger for me.

--------------------
Lisa

#309506 - 06/21/07 08:37 AM
Pud

uggg i hope i dont have to avoid soy too.. avoiding dairy is difficult enough..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#309509 - 06/21/07 08:46 AM
ElenaDragon

I was actually starting to notice that I would have more gas after eating meals with a lot of soy in them. Cutting out soy is difficult, so I would suggest writing down what you eat and your symptoms if you don't already to see if you can find patterns. Soy may or may not be a problem for you, but writing it down can help you track down if the problem is in your diet.

--------------------
Lisa

#309512 - 06/21/07 10:05 AM
Pud

i haven't really been able to see any correlation.. if i eat the same diet 2 days in a row.. i can feel completely different on both days...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#309551 - 06/21/07 06:17 PM
Tinkerbelle

I am the same as you... I can eat the same thing on two different days and it can effect me totally differently. It is a holistic issue- it has to do with how much sleep I get, how stressed/anxious I am, and what I ate in a previous meal. If I am sensitive from something else I ate, something "safe" may not be anymore.
I am very sensitive to soy. It totally messes me up! I know it can be overwhelming at first to cut all these foods out, but there are so many amazing and yummy substitutes out there that I don't miss soy and most dairy! One thing I adore however is cheese... I still eat it from time to time and sometimes it messes me up while other times I feel fine!
This is a very confusing disorder to say the least!!

#309563 - 06/21/07 07:05 PM
KayCee

Reged: 06/16/07

I am right there with you, so I totally sympathize! I have extreme bloating and discomfort from gas every single day. I have a bm mostly in the mornings as well. I start the day feeling okay, still always slightly bloated, but it only gets worse as the day goes on no matter what I eat. I have tried so many anti-gas products and none of them ever really work for me. I also have periods of C followed by times where I am constantly going to the bathroom, and you're right it is painful! Since starting this diet, lately I have been mostly C which is better than having to go 4 or 5 times a day like before, but it also makes my gas and bloating that much worse and very very uncomfortable. I have tried to add a bit more IF these past few days, because I thought may not be getting enough, but it hasn't made much difference so far. It is so frustrating. Just for once I would love to go through the day not feeling like a huge balloon with my stomach hard like a rock:(

#309570 - 06/21/07 07:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am an A person. My theory is that something triggers one of them and then that triggers the other into a cycle. If I get D (in the past) I would always be C afterward for up to several days and that would make me get D-- the body wanting to expel what it is storing. I think the difference is with plain C the body just keeps holding it but with A the body is able to trip itself into D mode (which is sometimes a relief) but that leads to more C. Getting stable with diet and acacia will stop the D and that will lead to no C. It has worked for me. The only time I get D is when I cheat and if I do, I get minor C after but the acacia clears that up right away.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Listen to Min - she's a pro, and also... new
      #309661 - 06/23/07 08:40 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

This is what happens.
1. The colon gets overstimulated and goes into spasm.
Either one or two or both things can happen next:
2a. The colon continues to spasm and you get diarrhea.
2b. The colon simply shuts down and you get constipation.

Why they alternate, I don't really know. Min's a great help with our A's on board. (and everybody else - smooches Min!)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#309673 - 06/24/07 06:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There was an interesting study done Feb-March 2000. Randomly 2000 individuals over the age of 18 were selected and screened. They were classified into potential IBS and non-potential IBS (281 individuals). The potential IBS group were asked to participate in a detailed study and 213 individuals agreed to participate. Participants were further classified using the Rome I and Rome II criteria and a collection of questionnaire and interviewing methods.

Using the Rome I criteria, 15% had D-IBS, 44% had C-IBS, 19% had A-IBS,and 22% had normal bowel habit. Among those meeting the Rome II criteria, 25% had D-IBS, 37% had C-IBS, 23% had A-IBS and 15% had normal bowel habit.

An analysis of clinical manifestations in subjects meeting the criteria of A-IBS it was observed that that this group was quite similar to the C-IBS subtype but with frequent defecatory urgency in the absence of an increased number of bowel movements. Abdominal discomfort/pain and frequency of visits to physicians were greater in the A-IBS subtype than in the other two IBS subtypes,

Part of the problem with coming up with a theory for IBS-A is establishing satisfactory way to accurately define it. Other studies used a combination of the Rome criteria and the Bristol Stool Scale have found similar difficulties in defining IBS-A.

The research suggests perhaps IBS-A is closer IBS-C rather than a unique sub-type composed of individuals that oscillation between pure IBS-C and pure IBS-D.

One the other hand for years I thought I was IBS-A, however, once I got my SF/IF ratio corrected I became predominately IBS-D. Go figure!

Reference
Mearin, F., A. Balboa, X. Badia, E. Baro, E. Caldwell, M. Cucala, M. Diaz-Rubio, A. Fueyo, J. Ponce, M. Roset, and N. Talley, 2003: Irritable bowel syndrome subtypes according to bowel habit: revisiting the alternating subtype. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology February 2003;15(2):165-172, 15, 165-172

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I am SOOOOO "A" TODAY! new
      #309728 - 06/24/07 03:33 PM
Tinkerbelle

This really sucks! I was C for the last few days, and today I woke up C again... I decided to just eat a piece of toast with a little avocado.. went and did yoga... about one hour later I had two glasses of very fruity hibicus tea and a plum... I came home to major D! I haven't had D that bad in ages... and it's 3:30 pm and I haven't eat anything else all day. Should I eat? One of my best friends is having a big graduation party at 6 pm... and she said she'd be super upset if I didn't come. I just feel scared and shitty right now. I don't know what to do.

thank you so much new
      #309735 - 06/24/07 05:19 PM
Little Minnie

and smooches back.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I am SOOOOO "A" TODAY! new
      #309736 - 06/24/07 05:23 PM
Little Minnie

Well you have to be strict on the diet and A will clear up. So you had IF fruit on an empty stomach which might have led to your D. You might also have possibly had too much fat percentage with just one piece of toast and avocado. I am not sure. Also are you on acacia? That is crucial.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review