All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What are the theories on IBS-A??
      #309479 - 06/20/07 06:07 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Are most people on here just a plain ol' D or C? How many of us are A's? I used to be a D, then I became an A. When I think about it, for much of my life I have been an A. I remember going through periods of being a D and a C when looking back on my life.
Currently I am total A! It's getting a bit annoying. Sometimes I get really gassy, bloated and constipated. Other times I have D/loose BMs which is also kinda annoying. I wonder why this happens? Sometimes when I am really busy I can't go to the bathroom in the morning. When I finally relax, I will get D. I wonder why this yo-yo effect occurs?
What are your theories as to why IBS-A exists?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are the theories on IBS-A?? new
      #309486 - 06/20/07 07:08 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

My IBS started as C. I was so backed up I thought I was having kidney problems due to the sharp pains in that area. As I added more fiber into my diet I started to have D sometimes. Now I am usually one or the other... either I can't go or I go a lot all at once with cramping. It's very difficult to find the balance in between.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309487 - 06/20/07 07:19 PM
badtzjack

Reged: 05/08/07
Loc: NEW YORK

i agree! i am IBS-A and since i've been taking a fiber supplement (first citurcel caplets then Acacia) i do go but in the morning, all morning with minor or major cramps. when i increased Acacia to 1/2 teaspoons four times daily i went in the evening and had pain so bad i decreased back to 3 times daily. i'm afraid to increase the dose because i don't want more cramping, even though the pain is supposed to let up when one increases it. for something that isn't a laxative, it sures acts like one! i believe with IBS-A sufferers it is harder on us to find that balance.

Edited by jenrebecca34 (06/20/07 07:21 PM)

#309500 - 06/21/07 06:22 AM
ElenaDragon

When I go, it's in the morning too, right after I get up, usually after having gas and pain the previous evening. I might go a little at other times, but that's the main time. Honestly, I feel much better after getting it all out, so I usually feel great in the morning after going. Then as the day goes on, depending on what I eat, my symptoms start up again (mainly gas/bloating, and sometimes pain).

--------------------
Lisa

#309501 - 06/21/07 06:49 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I've only heard of D and C.. I'm guessing A is something like alternating?? I think this is me.. I used to get D every day.. now (sorry to get graphic) more solid BM's and only get D once or twice a week.. and every once in awhile I get C.. with not rhyme or reason.. other than.. sometimes it happens when I travel.. which I don't know if that makes sense or not.. but my main problem is gas and bloating.. it's horrible.. i get it to some extent every day.. some days worse than others.. sometimes it lasts all day! sometimes it's relieved when i have a bm... but sometimes not and sometimes i am going allll day! like yesterday and the day before!!! it hurts to have to go so much!! my bottom is not very happy with me.. lol.. anyone having similar problems? i don't wish this upon anyone.. but sometimes it helps to know someone else is dealing with it..

also.. whats best to take for gas? i try phasyme and gas x.. but it doesn't really help..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#309503 - 06/21/07 08:01 AM
ElenaDragon

Yes gas is my worst symptom. It is uncomfortable, makes my stomach stick out, makes a lot of embarrassing noise, and also makes it difficult for me to go until all the gas is out (often accompanied by mucus at its worst).

Following Heather's diet does help, especially getting the right balance of SF and IF. Also, I recently eliminated soy from my diet and I believe it has made a difference. Fennel tea is supposed to be good for gas/bloating... I purchased some fennel capsules since I don't like the taste of fennel, but it's hard to tell if they are helping or not.

--------------------
Lisa

#309504 - 06/21/07 08:23 AM
Pud

so you cut soy? do you avoid dairy too?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#309505 - 06/21/07 08:32 AM
ElenaDragon

Yes I avoid dairy too. Avoiding both is tricky, but doable. There are just some foods I don't eat, like cheese or yogurt. I drink almond milk and use it in cooking. Soy is mostly in a lot of packaged foods, especially stuff which claims to have a lot of protein (like some Kashi products), so reading labels is important as always. Eliminating soy hasn't gotten rid of my gas, but it has reduced it. My other reason for getting rid of soy is that I discovered it is a migraine trigger for me.

--------------------
Lisa

#309506 - 06/21/07 08:37 AM
Pud

uggg i hope i dont have to avoid soy too.. avoiding dairy is difficult enough..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#309509 - 06/21/07 08:46 AM
ElenaDragon

I was actually starting to notice that I would have more gas after eating meals with a lot of soy in them. Cutting out soy is difficult, so I would suggest writing down what you eat and your symptoms if you don't already to see if you can find patterns. Soy may or may not be a problem for you, but writing it down can help you track down if the problem is in your diet.

--------------------
Lisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2728 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review