All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Survey! When IBS Began
      #309394 - 06/19/07 07:48 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I was just wondering what age everyone was when they started getting digestive "issues". For example, I started to get problems and pains when I was 15, a freshman in highschool, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 16. Just leave a post if you feel like it! Thanks!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Survey! When IBS Began new
      #309396 - 06/19/07 08:19 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I was 52 when I started having problems with constipation. It got progressively worse over the next 4 years. The pain started 1 1/2 years ago. I was finally diagnoised a year ago with IBS constipation after undergoing all the tests to rule out other things. I will be 59 this year, so most of my life was without IBS.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#309398 - 06/19/07 08:35 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've had them on and off for most of my life, but it didn't start to get bad until I was in my late 20s, and it was stressed induced then. Then I was okay until I almost 33. An infection of some sort coupled with a really stressful year kicked my IBS into high gear. Two years later, I'm pretty stable, but I'll always be careful now.

#309399 - 06/19/07 10:00 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Age 17 is when I noticed an excessively large stomach, diagnosed age 20.
Now 23.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309406 - 06/20/07 01:58 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I have had it most of my life and it started to really flare up a few years ago due to a very stressful job! It wasnt until I was 25 that I was diagnosed

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#309407 - 06/20/07 02:24 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

Lets see, i was 18/19 i had less and less bm's but i didnt care because there was no discomfort or bloating, so i just assumed it was normal. When i was 21 i got heavy pains one day, so badly for the next few months i couldnt move and cried all day. They diagnosed me with IBS at the end of that year (so i just turned 22), without one test. So a year and a half ago since i still was having lots of pains tho they gave me all these tips how to handle IBS (all the wrong ones, eat lots of whole wheat things, dont eat white bread, etc), i went to another doctor and got some of the tests. He thought for a while it was Crohn but said in the end it was one of the worst versions of IBS he had ever seen... So i have been diagnosed twice

#309416 - 06/20/07 06:48 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I had a few tummy issues (pain and D) when I was in middle school and high school, but it was not consistent, just on and off. By college, I was working at a yogurt shop, and the pain began to get worse (probably due to the increase dairy consumption!). After college I had a really stressful teaching jobs and I noticed more pain and D. After a few years I left teaching to raise a family, and my IBS got really bad after the birth of my first baby. That was when I was diagnosed...about 11 years ago. Since then I have had two more babies (the last one a C-section) and my IBS is at its very worst. I control it through diet and med's, but it has never been this bad. I always have pain, and I always am aware of my stomach. I thought maybe a c-section might make IBS worse. Two years ago, before I found Heather's site, I was at my lowest ever. My weight was too low, I was weak and sick all the time, and my stomach was really hurting everyday. The diet has really helped me. Thank goodness for Heather!

#309417 - 06/20/07 07:01 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

When I was 19 I had gallstones (possibly due to adapting a vegetarian diet and subsequently losing weight) and had my gallbladder removed. At that point I don't think I had IBS, but I did discover that I could no longer digest fatty foods well, and they made me very uncomfortable.

Early last year at the age of 26, I began having symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis (also known as Painful Bladder Syndrome). Six months later my IBS symptoms began at the age of 27. IC and IBS often go hand in hand in patients and I wonder how much of my IBS is related to my IC and my gallbladder removal when I was younger?

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309421 - 06/20/07 08:04 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I have had bad abdominal pains from age 14 and chronic constipation. I don't think anyone had heard of IBS in those days! I never went to the doctor - just thought that was the way I was. Pains have been much worse since major abdominal surgery for a twisted bowel and appendectomy 17 years ago. Pains worsened considerably in the last couple of years, I think probably related to hormones and post-surgical adhesions. Formally diagnosed with IBS by consultant after tests last year. I am now 46. I am hoping that the pains and C will improve after the menopause. Stress remains a big trigger for me, too. Heather's diet has helped considerably, but still have a lot of pain, gas and C, especially round periods.

#309425 - 06/20/07 10:16 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I was about 9 when I started having severe constipation. It continued until I was 24 when I had my first baby. Up until then I was taken to hospital numerous times because my intestines/bowel were full and I'd faint! I started getting pains again a few years ago when eating fatty foods and this year it has got alot worse, limiting what I could eat that didn't cause an attack. That was until I found this website -Thank heavens for Heather and all of you that post here to give advice or just an internet hug! thanks!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 528 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review