All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anti-depressant question
      #309370 - 06/19/07 12:50 PM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

I am going to my yearly doctors appointment and want to ask for a prescription for an anti-depressant. I currently take
librax and lomotil and sometimes clonazapan for anziety. I am having a continuing case of the blues from the IBS-d. I have been trying to research the best one to ask for that will aid in helping with dealing with the dispear of IBS. I have tried effexor many years ago and don't want that one. I seem to keep reading that the Tricyclics are the best for ibs-d. Any suggestions. I would really appreciate it. I have heard some say lexipro, but I don't know what class that falls under.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: anti-depressant question new
      #309372 - 06/19/07 01:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Lexapro is a SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). It does not belong to the tricyclic class of antidepressant.

The Yale Medical Clinic web site has a review article on therapies for IBS. Here are some quotes from the antidepressant section that you may find useful

Quote:

Tricyclic antidepressants in low doses appear effective for irritable bowel syndrome and for a variety of other painful conditions, including migraine, neuropathic pain, pain due to cancer, noncardiac

A number of randomized, controlled trials have demonstrated decreased symptoms in patients taking low-dose tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline, desipramine, clomipramine, doxepin, and trimipramine. A recent meta-analysis reviewed these treatments for irritable bowel syndrome and indicated an odds ratio for benefit of 4.0 as compared with placebo (Table 2). Some studies, but not all, indicate greater benefits in patients with diarrhea- predominant irritable bowel syndrome than in those with other types.

Because side effects include constipation, anticipatory treatment of constipation is suggested if tricyclic antidepressants are used for constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome.

Tricyclic antidepressants are recommended for moderate-to-severe irritable bowel syndrome in which pain is prominent or when other therapies have failed. Tricyclic antidepressants can be combined with antispasmodic agents if either treatment has had partial success. Since somnolence may occur, the drugs should be taken at bedtime. Daily administration starting at a dose of 10 to 25 mg for any of the tricyclic antidepressants, with a gradual escalation to a dose of 25 to 100 mg, is suggested. Although benefits are often seen within a week, a four-week trial is reasonable. Tricyclic antidepressants may be continued for 6 to 12 months, after which an attempt should be made to taper the dose.

A difficulty I have encountered in the past with GPs is that frequently they want to use the normal dose of tricyclics and not a low dose. So it might be worthwhile having a discussion with your GP about the dose if you are prescribed an tricyclic antidepressant.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4768 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review