All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What % of fat per product can you handle?
      #309083 - 06/15/07 12:21 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm curious, for those who are stablizing and those who already are there, what % of fat for a product can you consume?

I read Heather recommends 25% to 33% tops, I've been going with 25% but sometimes I wonder if 33% would be all that bad?

Consider this dish from PF Changs which is about 34%

SICHUAN FROM THE SEA CALAMARI
Calamari prepared in a red chili pepper garlic sauce.

Calories

Protein
48g

Carbs
110g

Total Fat
39.0g

Saturated Fat
7.0g

Ingredients:
Marinated calamari, chili paste, garlic, green onions, potato starch, sesame oil, Sichuan sauce*

Safe?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What % of fat per product can you handle? new
      #309084 - 06/15/07 04:41 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I think I would be sick for a month if I consumed that dish! I couldn't do any of the ingredients and the fat content is sooooo high. I generally don't have anything with a total fat content high than 9g (and that is a treat!). I usually stick to 1-3.5g per serving. I am IBS-C
You may well suffer if you consumed this dish. Look on the Recipes page on this site for safe idea's.

#309086 - 06/15/07 04:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I could never handle that. Yikes.

I keep my fat content, most likely, around 15-20%. I try to not EVER eat anything that has more than 10g fat per serving - even higher-calorie stuff.

#309095 - 06/15/07 05:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe that Heather recommends 25-30% of daily calorie intake should come from fat. One gram of fat has 9 calories. If your daily caloric intake is 2000 calories then you can have 500-600 calories from fat or 55 to 65 grams of fat in total for whole the day.

For example, SICHUAN FROM THE SEA CALAMARI assuming the serving size is 100 grams then it contains 350 (39 x 9 = 351) calories from fat or 39% fat by weight. One serving contains more 1/2 the total daily fat intake. This is a very high fat product. What was the serving size specifed on the label?

Personally as a rule of thumb I never eat any food that contains more than 10% fat by weight.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#309096 - 06/15/07 06:33 AM
tanawana

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: youngstown, OH

I tend to shoot for 10-15% overal fat intake myself. But to consider, I weigh out my fat percentages over the day and not the meal. This works for me but I don't know how others do it.

#309099 - 06/15/07 07:14 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Does the form of the fat matter? Last time I went to P. F. Chang's I got the Buddha's Feast Stir Fried (which according to their online menu only has about 6g of fat and 430 calories), which is fairly low on fat, but it's all oil. I ate about half of it with rice, but got pretty sick from it. Overall my diet has about 20%-25% fat in it and I do ok, but I try to stay away from anything oily in general. My fat generally comes from grains and nuts and maybe a little oil here and there.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309101 - 06/15/07 07:25 AM
tanawana

I would think the "type" of fat matters. Avocado would differ from vegetable oil for example. I read about this once, but can't remember or don't know for certain.

I tend more towards fats from plants, avocado, peanut butter, fish, etc. myself and avoid, if possible, other fats.

#309102 - 06/15/07 08:03 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I kind of think of IBS a little like limbo...how low can you go?? I keep my fat as low as possible. I would think 25% was about as high as I could handle. The PFChang's recipe looks like a tummy ache just waiting for an IBS'er...I would surely skip that one! Good luck~~

#309106 - 06/15/07 09:25 AM
ElenaDragon

By the way, just thought I would mention that for anyone who eats at P. F. Changs, you can get the Buddha's Feast (veggies) and get it steamed (no sauces or anything added, just plain steamed veggies). It comes with steamed white or brown rice, and they have some table sauces you can add for a little flavoring. I think I may be eating that from now on since my husband loves the place and everything else I've tried there gives me problems.

--------------------
Lisa

#309111 - 06/15/07 09:46 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That would be too high. I don't understand where that fat is coming from anyway when oil is so far down on the list. But remember that with rice and vegetables with no added fat that would even out the fat from the calamari.
I eat about 25% fat with each meal if possible. Remember it is fat per meal not per day! I also feel I am pretty sensitive to fats too and up to 30% is okay for me usually. I figure out fat percentage by a rough guess when away from the calculator. I just mulitply the fat grams by 10 instead of 9 and guestimate that into the calories.
500 calorie meal guess it has 20 grams of fat x10=200 compared to 500 it is less than half but too close to be safe. Actual percentage 36%.
Remember though our diet is not supposed to be fat free! Don't have meals of plain rice, plain vegetable and almost fat free breast; put some margarine or nuts or something on there to give our bodies the needed fat to make digestion work and so we don't store fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

also new
      #309113 - 06/15/07 10:00 AM
Little Minnie

if you are looking at a product that has calories from fat listed on the nutrition facts you don't have to do any muliplying. Just guestimate how much calories from fat there are compared to the rest of the calories. So luna bars contain 40 calories from fat and 180 calories so right away you can see it is less than 25% (4x40 is 160 and there are 20 more calories). the actual amount is 22%. Easy

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#309133 - 06/15/07 03:03 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

That would be too high. I don't understand where that fat is coming from anyway when oil is so far down on the list. But remember that with rice and vegetables with no added fat that would even out the fat from the calamari.
I eat about 25% fat with each meal if possible. Remember it is fat per meal not per day! I also feel I am pretty sensitive to fats too and up to 30% is okay for me usually. I figure out fat percentage by a rough guess when away from the calculator. I just mulitply the fat grams by 10 instead of 9 and guestimate that into the calories.
500 calorie meal guess it has 20 grams of fat x10=200 compared to 500 it is less than half but too close to be safe. Actual percentage 36%.
Remember though our diet is not supposed to be fat free! Don't have meals of plain rice, plain vegetable and almost fat free breast; put some margarine or nuts or something on there to give our bodies the needed fat to make digestion work and so we don't store fat.

I agree...I could never do 10-15%, that is way too restrictive for anything mainstream.
I find 25% works fine for me, up to 33%.

I really don't see how the dish here is all that excessive.

It has 35 grams of fat per 1000 calorie serving
35X9=315
315/1000=31.5%

That is barely higher than 25%, less than 33%, I am sensitive to fat, and I find 31% to be in the light yellow caution area, nothing taboo like 50% fat.
I don't understand, am I missing something, 32% seems to be moderate at worst, nothing severe.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309167 - 06/15/07 06:58 PM
Little Minnie

I don't know what is in the "sichuan sauce" at the end. Also how can it be 1000 calories?!
Well IMO if you eat that with rice it would be fine. I am still not sure what the meal is really like. It doesn't explain where the fat grams are coming from. If it was me I would eat half and have it with rice. Too much food/calories at once is a trigger for me.
The other thing I think some would have a problem with is the spicy factor, but not all have problems with spicy. And since some people here eat HFCS we shouldn't tell others not to eat spicy.

--------------------

#309177 - 06/15/07 11:05 PM
Naturapanic

I believe that it is a big restaraunt portion.
In other words, divide it in half.
Though I've not eaten it in awhile, when I did I used to eat about half, mix it with white rice.

You think that would be safe?
I believe the fat comes from the sauce.
Again it's 32% calories from fat, I thought if ate 1/2 to 3/4s tops at a good pace you'd be fine, seems within the limits.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309222 - 06/16/07 07:13 PM
Little Minnie

I think so if
1. the nutrition facts are without rice
2. the sauce mentioned at the end is not additional but is just the ingredients already listed. The way it is asterisked at the end makes me think this sauce has another set of ingredients.

--------------------

#309226 - 06/17/07 06:13 AM
ElenaDragon

Here is the menu:
http://www.pfchangs.com/cuisine/menu_main.jsp

The steamed rice is listed separately.

The asterisk information for the sauce:
* Sauces - The ingredients used to make all of our sauces are proprietary information. Should you have dietary concerns and need specific information regarding these sauces, please ask to speak with a Manager or Chef on your next visit to P.F. Chang's.

I'm not sure what's in the sauces, but they usually don't seem very oily like some chinese restaurants and I believe they don't use MSG.

Personally I have problems every time I go there, so I would eat there very carefully if you are not sure if you can handle it.

--------------------
Lisa

Okay new
      #309235 - 06/17/07 01:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Against my better judgment, I have a couple things to say.

15% is not "too restrictive". I eat that easily, on a wonderfully healthy diet of fresh produce, lean protein, and whole grains, which is how everyone should eat. Mind you, my 15% is more of a daily guideline than a per-meal, and I do occasionally splurge. But I don't eat junk, and I certainly don't eat crap with mystery ingredients from restaurants (and yes, I DO eat out, actually). You do not need to have that stuff in your diet, and it's really super freaking easy to avoid it.

I am stable and have been for two years so far, so obviously I'm doing SOMETHING right.

Also, 31.5% is not "barely" more than 25%. I'm not normally one to argue semantics, but in the world of IBS, 6.5% is a BIG difference.

Since you already have what you consider to be a "safe" fat percentage range for yourself, and you've done the math, and it falls within your range, I'm guessing that what you really want is for people to tell you to eat it. So, I recant my previous answer... go ahead and eat it. Knock yourself out.

Re: Okay new
      #309276 - 06/18/07 07:15 AM
tanawana

Quote:

15% is not "too restrictive". I eat that easily, on a wonderfully healthy diet of fresh produce, lean protein, and whole grains, which is how everyone should eat. Mind you, my 15% is more of a daily guideline than a per-meal, and I do occasionally splurge. But I don't eat junk, and I certainly don't eat crap with mystery ingredients from restaurants (and yes, I DO eat out, actually). You do not need to have that stuff in your diet, and it's really super freaking easy to avoid it.

Glad to hear someone follows what I do

I was feeling all alone there

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1861 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review