All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wheat Bad For IBS due to Chromosomes?
      #309065 - 06/14/07 03:15 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I spoke with a nutrionist who in contrast to Heather's diet has cautioned me against eating wheat.
He feels having too much wheat irriates the stomach and can you groogy.
I can attest this feels right, to an extent, and he states that wheat has semolina molecule which as grown is now 8 molecules compared to 2 and the 8 irriates the gut.

I wanted to know if any of you have heard of this before and agree or not?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wheat Bad For IBS due to Chromosomes? new
      #309088 - 06/15/07 04:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think most nutritionists don't know what they're talking about, but that's just me. *shrug*

Ultimately, you have to go with what feels right and makes sense to YOU. If you find that you feel better if you avoid wheat (or, conversely, feel worse when you do eat it), then by all means, cut it out. There are actually quite a few people who follow Heather's diet but don't eat ANY wheat products.

Re: Wheat Bad For IBS due to Chromosomes? new
      #309092 - 06/15/07 05:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I think you nutrionist needs to go back to school and get some education. The notion that semolina has 8 molecules (of what?) compared to 2 molecules and this causes gut irritation is nonsense.

Perhaps what your nutritionalist was trying to say is that semolina comes from tetraploid durum wheat. Tetraploid means that each cell has 4 set of chromosomes and each set contains 2 chromosomes for a total of 8 chromosomes in each cell. Many grains and plants are tetraploids and some are polyploids with more than 4 sets of chromosomes. The number of sets of chromosomes in a plant used to produce food has nothing to do with gut irritation.

Where did you find this nutrionist?

If you think you might have a problem with wheat then ask your GP to do some tests.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review