All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can IBS A suffers eat low fat peanut butter...
      #308891 - 06/11/07 12:07 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Can those suffering from constipation/diarrhea eat the low fat peanut butter that is in the stores?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can IBS A suffers eat low fat peanut butter... new
      #308893 - 06/11/07 12:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I eat regular peanut butter (the all-natural kind that you have to stir when you first open the jar). I measure my portion with a "real" measuring spoon (serving = 2 Tbsp.) and I do just fine with it.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#308894 - 06/11/07 12:34 PM
Springtime09

Can you get this natural peanut butter in the grocery stores, or in a health food store?

#308897 - 06/11/07 01:03 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I eat Jifs Lower fat peanut butter...it's like 1/3 the fat or something like that..I havn't had problems with it..even on my really bad days I can still tolerate it..

#308898 - 06/11/07 01:29 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

You certainly can get natural peanut butter in a health food store -- there are tons of brands and some of those stores have peanut butter "machines" where you can grind your own natural PB (Whole Foods does). However, if you want to go the low-fat, natural peanut butter route, Smuckers makes ones that I have found in regular grocery stores. I used to live off that stuff in college! Sadly, now my stomach can't handle even that much fat so I've been peanut butter free for the past two months since being on the diet However, since it is my favorite food, I'm determined to be able to eat it again once I become stable! Anyway, hope that info helps and enjoy the natural peanut butter

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#308899 - 06/11/07 01:34 PM
Springtime09

Thanks for the info... I will see what I can find in my area. I would love it on the fat free saltines that I eat all the time.

#308901 - 06/11/07 01:41 PM
Springtime09

I just picked up a jar of Skippy reduced fat peanut butter. I will try this and if I have to, I will try to find the natural peanut butter.

The total fat is 12g which is 18%
and the saturated fat is 2g which is 10%
There are 0g of trans fat

How does this match your Jiff?

#308905 - 06/11/07 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is that smuckers natural and there also should be natural PB by the margarine as well and maybe in an organic section of your store. I eat reduced fat skippy. The natural kind isn't sweet enough and so high in fat. I eat it all the time but I don't consider it a very safe food. It doesn't always agree with me but I tend to ignore that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#308982 - 06/13/07 07:50 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

My roomate just looked at me like I'm crazy because I carted off the jar of peanut butter into my bedroom.

Jif reduced fat Peanut Butter(Creamy) 25% less fat

Serving size of 1tbsp (which is enough for me)
Total fat is 5g 8%
Saturated fat is 1g 5%

It's really good

#309022 - 06/13/07 10:18 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I eat Jif low fat peanut butter and so far no problems.

Good Luck!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

How low fat is this peanut butter? new
      #309050 - 06/14/07 11:42 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Apologies in advance for asking this, but maths is not my best subject and I am still confused about fat percentages... I have some low fat peanut butter. The label says that 100g has 35.1g fat, and one 10g tsp has 3.5g fat. The one tsp seems fine (?) but 35.1g is just over a third of the total calories, so seems too high? As I said...sorry, but my brain can't cope! Also - a sneaky extra question. I have soy cheese slices which has 26.3g fat per 100g,(just over 25%).Each slice is 19g. This means that each slice has just over 5g fat - is that right? And would that be ok with a SF base?

there are no low fat peanut butters new
      #309073 - 06/14/07 04:52 PM
Little Minnie

They are reduced fat. Low fat means 3 grams or less per serving. Reduced fat PB is still not safe when eaten alone but a little bit with a lot of non fat food is ok percentage-wise.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: there are no low fat peanut butters new
      #309140 - 06/15/07 03:22 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Wait a second...you IBSers got to be kidding me.
Just when I think about leaving, depressed over more food restrictions, I see YOU have been consuming peanut butter SAFELY?

WHAT???

I gave up peanut butter TWO years ago...I miss it soooo much yet I never bothered to do it because I figuered due to my C, gas, and bloating, it would be too much fat.

I tried it when initally on the diet but I binged, ate too much, and frankly figuered it was like an avocado, you can reduce the fat all you want it still is WAY too high in terms of % of calories from fat.

You mean to tell me, you IBSers C, gas, and bloating CAN consume Peanut Butter?

PLEASE tell!!!
What brand, how much per day, and how can you SAFELY consume it?
Is this one of those safe foods you can eat in any reasonable portion, or is this like an cautious food you must be very judicous with and have with a large safe buffer?

I can't imagine PB being safe, even reduced fat still has over 50% of calories from fat, and on a recent post my selection at PF Changs was admonished for having 32% fat calories.
How is this safe?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309166 - 06/15/07 06:51 PM
Little Minnie

Remember it is all about fat in the whole meal. So peanut butter with bread and jelly comes out to a safe percentage; a glass of soy milk with it would help even more. I even eat peanut sauce I make at home. I also eat peanuts and pistachios; and sometimes rice ice cream mixed with peanut butter. Keep in mind that oil has 100% fat yet we use that in cooking and baking. The calories of the food even out the fat in the oil. It is the same with any higher fat food. I do choose to buy reduced fat PB which helps keep the percentage ok.

--------------------

#309178 - 06/15/07 11:10 PM
Naturapanic

Hmm...that might make some sense.
However, I cut out mayo from my diet for the same reason.

People here stated mayo was 100% fat, yet of course you would NEVER eat mayo alone, you have it on top of meat and bread.

Therefore the % of fat for a sandwich with mayo, all things equal, would still be in the safe range.
Yet I was under the impression for most IBSers even if the fat % per meal was safe, simply having a 100% fat thing like mayo would be a danger.

1) How come then Peanut Butter would be safe when it and mayo are similar?
-How much PB do you have both per day and at each clip?

2) What confuses me here is, if the % per meal counts, then why wouldn't the fat % per ingedient count?
In other words if your fat cal per day was 25% yet you had a meal which was 75% fat cals, you probably would feel sick irregardless of the whole day.

-Therefore if you had chips with guacomole, or bread with peanut butter, then why wouldn't you be sick even if the % of fat for that meal was 25?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309221 - 06/16/07 07:11 PM
Little Minnie

Because some high fat foods are triggers in themselves. Mayo contains egg yolks which are in the top 4 triggers list and so regular mayo is unsafe. And then likewise any food that is just too difficult to digest is also not ok even in a meal with an ok percentage- to be real safe. You might be able to get away with eating one french fry in a low fat meal, but even a little deep fried food would bother many here. Some people tend to be a little narrow minded when it comes to certain things. It helps to reread Heather's info pages many times, noting how the triggers are listed. Like I said with oil, if we use oil in small amounts then other things in small amounts that do not have another trigger might be just fine. This can vary though, honestly even dairy free chocolate and sometimes PB will bother me and to be completely walking on eggshells I should avoid them. And anyone not stable needs to play it even safer. Walking on eggshells gutwise is the best way to get the gut stable- our guts are irritable and crabby and just want any excuse to act up.

2. I'm not sure I completely understand your question. What matters to your gut is what is in it at any time. You would have to work something very high in fat really discreetly into something very low in fat to trick your stomach but yes everything smashed in there together is what the gut works on not one thing at a time. I hope this answers some of your questions, if not I can explain more.

--------------------

#309262 - 06/17/07 10:46 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks. I've been trying to stablize for two years, how long does it take.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309309 - 06/18/07 12:17 PM
GaiasSong

Quote:

Can you get this natural peanut butter in the grocery stores, or in a health food store?

My grocery store (Publix, southeastern U.S.) sells its own generic "house" brand, and it's always significantly cheaper per jar than the Smuckers. Ingredients are simply peanuts and salt.

--------------------

#309866 - 06/26/07 06:46 AM
DawgBone88

Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: Duluth, GA

I've found two web sites that sell natural peanut butters in a variety of flavors. None is listed as low fat but if you need a peanut butter you must first stir, then you will likely find something there. Between the two sites I've purchased 21 different flavors, and had no trouble with any of them! As someone who cannot tolerate red meat, I'm using peanut butter as a protein source for as long as my gut continues to tolerate it. Hope you find something you like! I certainly did! Here are those URLs.
www.pbloco.com
www.peanutbetter.com (some of these are really exotic)

#309883 - 06/26/07 09:16 AM
GaiasSong

My only reservation with the reduced-fat would be to read your labels and make sure something else isn't in there that could bother you, such as HFCS... it doesn't aggravate my IBS, but I prefer to avoid it anyway.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review