All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Depends on the individual new
      #308797 - 06/08/07 08:54 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I am fructose intolerant and can not handle any fruite except for banannas in bread. I eat pretzels, luna bars, rice cakes (organic no fructose), newmans alphabet cookies, freshly made muffins and bread, hummus, nature valley makes a good oat and hunny bar (no hfcs or dairy), chex mix (great receipe on the site), grahm crackers...In the begining I didnt think there was much I could snack on either, but as long as you are willing to try new things then you can find something. All of my snacks are dairy free and HFCS free and also no artificial sugar.

hope this helps

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Depends on the individual new
      #308798 - 06/08/07 09:23 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

Thank you so much for the idea's -I'll be off to the supermarket and HFS tonight. I eally appreciate your inputs, thanks!

Abby new
      #310347 - 07/03/07 07:15 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How did you determine you were fructose intolerant?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Abby new
      #310353 - 07/03/07 08:29 AM
abby6126

the doctor can do a breath test just like they do for lactose intolerance. My trouble with fruit goes back to when I was a child long before I knew that I had IBS.

--------------------

#310355 - 07/03/07 08:57 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Did you get the breath test? I can't find a place that does one in the entire state.

What do you eat for fruit and veggies?

Do you get your fiber from a specific Fiber supplement?

I don't want to jump on the Fructose intolerant wagon if I really don't have it....but I can never be sure without that breath test. Elimination diets do nothing.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#310356 - 07/03/07 09:17 AM
abby6126

They should do a breath test at a hospital. thats where I go. I actually havent eaten any fruit in over a year. Last summer I tried eating apples, bananas and grapes. I was terribly bloated after eating them, so my doctor told me to stop. I have tried to bring them back into my diet but the only way I can handle any fruit is baked in bread. So bananna on occasional in bread is all that I eat. As for veggies I eat Carrots, Green Beans, Spinach, Mushrooms, zuchini and sqash.I take 2 citracel caplets after lunch and another 2 after dinner.

Hope this helps

--------------------

Jordy new
      #310357 - 07/03/07 09:19 AM
abby6126

what state do you live in?

--------------------

Questions new
      #310370 - 07/03/07 01:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Abby - you are the first person that I know of that has posted on this message that they have had a fructose malabsorption test. The reason I am interested is that they don't do this test where I live. I had to use a dietary exclusion process to figure out my fructose malabsorption problem.

I presume they gave you a solution containing 25 grams of fructose to drink and then you had a breath test at various times. Is this correct?

I have a couple of questions. How did the test make you feel - i.e. did you experience any IBS symptoms? Did they tell you how sensitive you were to fructose or was it left up to you to figure how much excess fructose you could eat without experiencing problems? Did they give you a sheet or something with dietary instructions? If they did - would it be possible for you to post the instructions on the message board?

Thanks

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Questions new
      #310377 - 07/03/07 04:17 PM
abby6126

Hello!

About a year ago I started experience terrible cramping gas and bloating, much worse than before. I went to my internest who told me that I was eating too much fruit and should eliminate and slowly bring it back in.

After that I stopped most fruit except for grapes and the occasional apple or bananna, which gave me a lot of bloating. After about 6 more months of pain I found a gastro who ran a ton of tests and narrowed it down to IBS.

He sent me to the hospital and told me that I would be taking a breath test that would test different types of sugar levels. I drank that gross liquid and blew into the tube. They stoped my test early because they said my levels were too high. I came home to terrible cramping and was in the bathroom the rest of day.

That next day I met with my doctor and he told me that I was severly lactose intolerant and needed to be very careful with fruit. And thats where he left it. He told me it was all trial by error and even said that I shouldnt cut dairy out of my diet.

He said that I should test the fruits one by one and see how it made me feel. Since that day I have yet to eat any fruit as it still makes me nervous.

Hope this helps a little

--------------------

Re: Questions new
      #310382 - 07/04/07 05:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It sounds like you were being given a three sugar breath test (lactose, fructose and sorbitol). For this test they give a relatively high amount of these sugars. If you are quite sensitive to them then you are likely to experience cramping, bloating and possibibly D afterwards. This is one of the reasons I have not bothered to find a place that does this test. It would give me a serious flare-up and it would take a few days for me to recover.

It is really unfortunate that you doctor did not give you any dietary guidelines regarding fruits to eat. There is an excellent set of dietary guidelines prepared by a group in Australia. If you live near a university then you may want to see if you can get a copy of the article from their library. The complete reference is below. If you cannot find it tell me and I will summarize the dietary guidelines for you.

Good Luck

Reference
Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). Fructose malasborption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631–9.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5039

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review