All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Am I weird?
      #308778 - 06/08/07 05:13 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I seem to be able to tolerate artifical sweetners and HFCS, I don't get bloating or gas or pain. However, I have read so many times here that we should avoid it. What are the drawbacks to me continuing using both the above? are there other reasons for not including these in your diet? Can anyone else tolerate HFCS and artifical sweetners? if so, I'd love to hear from you...thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Depends on the individual new
      #308782 - 06/08/07 06:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is an individual thing and it can affect non-IBS individuals too. Some people can consume significant amounts of HFCS and sweetners with no ill effects while many others cannot tolerate any. In some studies 40-60% of the IBS patients showed a significant reduction in symptoms when high fructose foods (e.g. HFCS) and sweetners such as sorbitol were removed from the diet.

Reference

Goldstein, R., D. Braverman, and H. Stankiewicz, 2000: Carbohydrate Malabsorption and the Effect of Dietary Restriction on Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Functional Bowel Complaints. Israel Medical Association Journal, 2.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Depends on the individual new
      #308783 - 06/08/07 06:09 AM
chitchat1

Thanks for your reply. Do you think HFCS and sweetners can make you C even if you don't have any other symptoms? I am still experimenting and trying to find out why I am still constipated.

#308784 - 06/08/07 06:25 AM
Syl

You asked a very interesting question. The research seems to suggest that the way you to figure it out is to remove sweetners and high fructose foods from your diet for a period of one month and see if you symptoms improve. I noticed an effect within a week.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#308785 - 06/08/07 06:48 AM
chitchat1

wow, that is impressive! thanks, I will give it a try. I have cut out the sweetners with no problem but I find the bread and snacks I am having have HFCS, so I will cut those out and see how it goes, were you IBS-C also? and it helped?

#308786 - 06/08/07 06:59 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Good Morning,

I am a C as well and at first I didnt think that HFCS was bothering me either because it didnt give me the usual gas and bloating that I get from many other things, but as soon as I elimiated it, within a day I could feel the difference. It wasnt significant but I think it will help me to become stable. It is defiantely worth a try. I havent used any artificial sweetner in over 2 months now.

Abby

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#308787 - 06/08/07 07:07 AM
Syl

HFCS, sorbitol, etc are not the only things you should try removing from your diet. The problem with HFCS is that it contains high amounts of fructose. You have to eliminate all high fructose foods including fruits and juices such as apple, pear, mango, etc. Check this message for more information.

--------------------

#308788 - 06/08/07 07:12 AM
chitchat1

Thanks so much, that is good to know that it has helped you. I have tried cutting everything else out and this is about the last thing. So bakery bread and bagels are ok to eat?

#308794 - 06/08/07 08:42 AM
chitchat1

So what exactly do you eat???? (giggles!). What do you tend to snack on? I found long ago that I could not tolerate Apples or any fruit actually apart from canned fruit. I do like to snack but what on? Any idea's would be great, thanks!

#308796 - 06/08/07 08:52 AM
Syl

For fruit I eat primarily semi ripe bananas, deseeded kiwi fruit and some berries. My snacks tend to be carbohydrates such as homemade pita chips, motza, pretzels (no oil or HFCS), low fat potato chips, low fat corn chips, etc.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4991

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review