All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: 1 year on the diet and no solution new
      #308816 - 06/08/07 04:48 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Can't help but notice you keep recommending this guy's book to people and telling them to basically drop Heather's diet. Was that your main purpose of registering on this board?

As other people on here noted, it took some over a year to stablize and yes diet isn't the only thing that contributes to IBS but it is a key factor. Heather has covered medications and stress factors here on the website, and in her book.

If your intent was not to stir things up around here then I apologize for this post.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#308966 - 06/12/07 07:59 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Atmoic Rose, just how have medications helped you?
I thought based on Heather's book medication and western medicine in general are not much more than placebo for IBS recovery.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#308969 - 06/12/07 08:10 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm not Atomic Rose, but I can vouch that lexapro has helped me tremendously too. I was on my road to stabalizing when I started it so I had a head start, but I was still having d attacks, just much milder versions than pre-Heather and much less often (maybe 3 times/month versus 3 times/week). When I started the meds, I would say I was IBS-A instead of IBS-D. After about 5 weeks on the lexapro, I started to become more C and I wound up cutting back on my acacia dosage, stopping my Calcim Carbonate vitamins (helped me with the d before), and was able to/needed to eat much more IF than I had been. I still follow the diet but I can be much more liberal about having a bite or two of the "real things" every so often and I can definitely tolerate whole grains much better.

That's the physical side of it. Mentally, I am so much more relaxed and less anxious, as I had been a wreck previously about the IBS. I should mention that I was about 2/3 through with the hypno when I started the meds too so I'm sure that added to my success. In any case, I feel that the combo of the EFI diet, SF supplements, hypno, yoga, and meds have helped me to literally start living my life again. I also can verify that for me it could not have been a placebo effect b/c I had taken only 5mg of lexapro last year for about 9 months with no real improvement. This time I am taking double that and it is working. Hope that helps. Are you considering meds?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#309116 - 06/15/07 10:46 AM
santino75

Reged: 05/30/07

No my intention was not to stir things up but I can see how you would think that. Youre right, I have recommended that book a few times, and I know it looks like I have my own agenda i.e. to sell some dudes book. But thats not the case. It all comes down to personal experience and opinion I think. I mean you and a lot of other people and this site have gotten good results from following the diet recommended in heather's book. And thats great, and I understand that if something works so well for you that you'd wanna spread the word so that others can be helped too. I read that guy's book and I got results and so now I wanna let other people know about it so that they might find it helpful aswell. Because whats also clear from reading posts on this site is that the diet recommended by heather isnt working for everybody. People seem to be frustrated because something that works so well for a lot of others isnt working for them and all im doing is giving them another angle.
I think a big problem aswell is that people dont listen to themselves. They blindly go by what other people tell them. I read that guys book and it was very good, a lot of common sense basic stuff........but having said that, the main reason why ive been able to sort out my stomach and digestive problems is because I listen to myself and make my own decisions about whats good for me and whats not.
So I'll stop recommending that guy's book because maybe it worked out for me but that dont mean it'll work for someone else.
By the way, I think you give very good advice to people on this site. Good job.
Santino

#309191 - 06/16/07 08:08 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Have you been checked for bilesaltmalabsorption? I think that if you have problems with that you can get more problems with fat in the food. Not sure though. But I have IBS-D and that was one of the tests they tried on me. It was normal for me though. For me I follow the EFI diet, I try to keep my stress level under control since my IBS is highly influenced by stress, and I take loperamide (like Imodium) daily and that is really what makes it possible for me to have some sort of normal life.

Hope you'll feel better soon.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#309209 - 06/16/07 02:55 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
For one thing stop the calcium. It's notorious for causing bloating, gas and diarrhea. I would stop the multi-vitamin as well.
I had serious diarrhea and debilitating spasms and cramps but with sticking to what works for only me and the acacia powder and tea, I have improved at least 75%. I consider stress the culprit in not having achieved 100% but I am happy with the things the way they are.
I would stop the calcium and also anything that might have dairy. You could be lactose intolerant too...best wishes..Viragga

Re: 1 year on the diet and no solution/ honey a culprit new
      #309241 - 06/17/07 04:23 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have read on here that honey is a no no.....did anyone suggest cutting that out as well?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: 1 year on the diet and no solution/ honey a culprit new
      #309272 - 06/18/07 06:43 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

If you are fructose sensitive, then I wouldn't eat it. Just use regular sugar.

#328412 - 04/17/08 07:16 PM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

I may be wrong but, isn't oil a trigger food?

Artic Masticator... new
      #328495 - 04/19/08 02:22 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

....how are you? What's going on?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review