All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
White Bread Question
      #308653 - 06/06/07 09:28 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

At the Super Market, there are SO MANY different types of French Bread. All of them vary in Fat and Fiber.
I have been buying the one that list 0% Fat and 0% Fiber.
Is this Ideal?
I worry about the ones that have 8% Fiber for it does not say whether it is Soluble or Insoluble.
And what about Wonder Bread...is it safe?
thanks
MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: White Bread Question new
      #308703 - 06/06/07 05:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wonder bread -and all breads in the bread aisle are not safe. They contain HFCS, unless they are grainy, earthy ones then they have too much whole wheat. I have never had a problem with any bakery french or sourdough breads that do not have dairy. I would prefer to buy one that looks more natural- not the cheap white dry kind. There is no reason to get the 0% fat or fiber. Fat is essential to the digestive tract and bread never has too much. The fiber in bakery french and sourdough and some italian should be SF so that would be good. the only way it isn't SF is if it has whole grain as the first ingredient, but if regular flour is the first ingredient you are good to go.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#308708 - 06/06/07 08:05 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am fine with lite white breads like D'Italiano, Village Hearth, Lite Life (or maybe it's Healthy Life), and Aunt Millie's Lite Potato Bread. Village Hearth is my standard.

These have always been safe for me, even before I was stable. YMMV.

#308737 - 06/07/07 11:23 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Here (in the UK) I often buy pre-packaged white bread from the supermarket bread aisle. I have never seen HFCS listed as an ingredient. My local shop sells bakery bread, but lists hydrogenated vegetable oil as an ingredient (which is not good, right?) Can anyone advise me which bread is likely to be safer - the supermarket pre-packaged loaf or the local bakery one? I seem to do fine with the pre-packaged bread, but would appreciate some input.

#308740 - 06/07/07 12:04 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Well, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My only advice would be to read labels tirelessly and know exactly what you are buying.

I don't think hydrogenated oils are specifically a red flag for IBS... the conventional wisdom now is that those are bad for your heart, which IMO is a good enough reason to avoid them.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#308772 - 06/07/07 07:04 PM
Little Minnie

I don't believe the UK uses HFCS. I didn't even worry about it when there. The regular bread will be cheaper but bakery fresh is always better all around. I believe any oils have the same effect on the gut. It is quantity not quality, but I may be wrong.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308791 - 06/08/07 07:55 AM
Rio

Thanks for the advice. I am an avid label-reader, as both my children have food allergies, so I would notice immediately if the UK decide to use HFCS as an ingredient. Oddly, I have just come back from shopping, and was looking at the ingredients on a soy yogurt, and 'corn syrup' was listed. Anyone know if this is the same stuff? Otherwise, the yogurt looked safe - and yummy. But I didn't dare chance it!

Re: HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308795 - 06/08/07 08:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pure corn syrup is 100% glucose. HFCS is usually 45% glucose and 55% fructose. Pure corn syrup is ok - HFCS is problematic for individuals that have fructose malabsorption problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308799 - 06/08/07 09:35 AM
mybellyhurts

is the HFCS usually mared in the ingredients?

Re: HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308837 - 06/09/07 09:59 AM
Rio

Thanks Syl. I'll try that soy yogurt next time then!

#308867 - 06/10/07 05:59 PM
Little Minnie

High fructose corn syrup will definitely be on the ingredients list. It is usually up at the beginning, unlike sucralose, and after a while your eye will pick it out in an instant.

--------------------

#308873 - 06/10/07 09:12 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I live in Southern California, so I eat San Francisco Sourdough bread. It tastes great, has one gram of fat, one gram of fiber and no HFCS. It is great with an eggbeater omelet.

I don't know where you are located, but here; French and Sourdough white bread are the best.

Good luck!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#308949 - 06/12/07 05:17 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I had a question about buying breads.
I usually get the prepackaged bread, usually something like Pepperidge farm Rye bread.

The reason I do this is because normally it either does not have HFCS or if it does it is lower on the ingredients...and I know what is in the bread.
Bakeries do not always tell what you is in the bread, they can have HFCS or dairy or worse.

I always thought it was fine to get pre packaged bread, just try to get something without a lot of HFCS, either without or lower on the ingredient list, and it would be fine.
Good rule?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

What about these ingredients? new
      #309042 - 06/14/07 09:57 AM
mybellyhurts

Enriched Flour, water, glucose-fructose or sugar, *yeast, vegetable oil(canola or soy), wheat gluten, salt, soy flour, sodium stearoyl-2lactylate, mono-diglycerides, ascorbic acid, calcium propionate, enzymes.

This is Gadoua Enriched White Bread..Low in Fat...No Trans Fat.

Re: What about these ingredients? new
      #309056 - 06/14/07 02:10 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

glucose-fructose is HFCS....as those are the two ingredients in HFCS...so watch out for that as well

Re: What about these ingredients? new
      #309079 - 06/15/07 12:15 AM
Naturapanic

If bread has HFCS but towards the bottom or middle, is it likely not a big concern?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

HFCS & bread new
      #309097 - 06/15/07 07:00 AM
Syl

If you do not suffer from fructose malabsorption then it does it matter if HFCS is the first, middle or last ingredient it probably won't act as a trigger.

If you do suffer from fructose malabsorption then it could matter. Some individuals cannot tolerate one excess gram of fructose (about 1/5 tsp) while others can handle a quite a few grams. Furthermore, fructose problems can be accumulative. For example, eating a small amount of excess fructose a couple of times a day for a few days can produce pain, gas and bloating.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: HFCS & bread new
      #309129 - 06/15/07 02:57 PM
Naturapanic

How do you know if you suffer from fructose malabsorption?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309137 - 06/15/07 03:14 PM
Syl

There are two generally accepted ways.

1) a breath test. it has to be arrange by your doctor, however, it is not readily available.

2) exclude all foods that contain more free fructose than glucose from your diet for at least one month and see how you feel.

I was diagnosed using the second method. Within 48 hours of removing high fructose foods I noticed a siginificant change in pain and D (it can also produce C). It took me a couple of years to figure out how much excess fructose I could tolerate.

--------------------

#309139 - 06/15/07 03:17 PM
Naturapanic

Isn't that hard to do, I mean it's simple to eliminate dairy in that you know what dairy is and the ingredients, most of the time.

However, how does this translate with fructose, what on labels and restaurants, hints, do you look for to see?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309142 - 06/15/07 03:34 PM
Syl

You have to lear which natural foods to eat and which ones not to eat. AND you have to read all food labels staying away from foods that list HFCS, glucose-fructose, fructose, molasses, maple syrup and apple, pear, mango, papaya, etc fruits or juices on the ingredients list.

It is no more difficult to learn which foods to avoid than it is to learn which foods have more SF than IF.

A significant reduction in pain and D was the reward for me for learning what to eat and not to eat

--------------------

#309179 - 06/15/07 11:18 PM
Naturapanic

I'm a little confused.
Heather's diet recommends eating peaches, pears, fruit, and mentions only avoiding HFCS.
It says nothing really on avoiding fruit, like peaches (which is contrary) or fructose, molasses, succrose, or maple syrup.

1) What excatly should I be reading and avoiding?
-HFCS or HFCS, Fructose, Molasses, Maple Syrup, and Fruit?

2) Let me ask, if you avoid ALL these then what do you do about
-Eating Out
-A Syrup/Honey substitute
-Fruit
-Sweets

3) What are common foods you usually end up avoiding?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309185 - 06/16/07 06:31 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello.
Heather's diet does not addresses the specific issue of fructose malabsorbtion. She concentrates on the IBS eating plan, whereas fructose issues are sort of a sub-category.

I am in the process of omitting fructose foods from my diet. Here is what I am doing:
1. No fruit. None.
2. No HFCS. Read labels. Anything with High fructose corn syrup...avoid.
3. No syrup for pancakes, natural or otherwise.
4. No jelly.
5. No gum/candies with HFCS.
6. No molasses.
7. No eating out if there is a chance for HFCS to be an ingredient...and of course, there is.
8. White and brown sugar are fine.

I know it may seem a bit extreme and rigid, but if you truly want to find out if fructose is an issue for you, then you need to make some scientific, controlled tests to find out. If you add any fructose during the testing period, you may not get a true outcome.

Good luck!

Answers to your questions about fructose new
      #309186 - 06/16/07 06:43 AM
Syl

I can see why you are confused. Heather does not address the problem of fructose clearly, particularly how it relates to fruit and fruit juices. However, on the BTC page you statements like the following acknowledging the problem with fructose:

"So do make sure you get the whole foods in your diet, but recognize that their insoluble fiber ( and fructose in the fruit, sulfur in the cruciferous vegetables, etc.) pose challenges to IBS folks and don't be afraid to eat the high soluble fiber foods first and foremost."

"The high fructose content plus the carbonation is a deadly ticket to digestive distress."

"Refined table sugar, a stimulant which can negatively affect fibromyalgia, is not a problem for IBS (though certain sugars, such as fructose and lactose, often are) but neither is it helpful, so it can simply be omitted from your diet."

"The worst drinks are those that contain other triggers as well, such as carbonation (beer, champagne), coffee, dairy (pina coladas, creme liqueurs), or fruit juices that are high in fructose ."

"Unfortunately, they're sweetened with fructose . This means that while they may be a tolerable drink for some, for others who are prone to diarrhea, gas, or bloating from fructose , they're not a safe bet."

There are many reports and reviews in the medical research that discuss the problems of fructose malabsorption in individuals with GI disorders such as IBS. You can start by reading the information on this web page and this review paper. Individuals with fructose problems should avoid the fruits listed in Table 1 where there is more fructose than glucose in them. There is also a comprehensive table at the end of the page on this web site. Individuals that are sensitive to fructose should avoid foods in the table where the value for fructose (see column 5) is greater than the value for glucose (see column 3).

Here are the answers to your second set of questions:

- I rarely eat out but when I do I only order a grilled chicken breast with white rice and steamed or boiled carrots. I find I can order this in almost any restaurant in North America and Europe.
- Either I make my own syrup from white or brown sugar to which I might add some safe berry juice or I use pure corn syrup which only contains glucose.
- I select fruits from those that are listed as okay in this posting.
- I only eat sweets that use sucrose (white sugar), glucose or corn syrup as a sweetener. I avoid all sweets that contain HFCS, molasses, honey and fruits or fruit juices high in fructose.

In summary, I follow the EFI diet with exception that I avoid fruits, juices, syrups, sugars and sauces that contain HFCS or fruits high in fructose.

Good luck

--------------------

Good response new
      #309188 - 06/16/07 07:17 AM
Syl

Fructose malabsorbers are a sub-category of IBS suffers just like the sub-categories that cannot tolerate any soy or diary. And there are no tests for those sub-categories either. It all comes down to individuals figuring out what sub-categories they belong through dietary trial and error.

--------------------

dairy is new
      #309218 - 06/16/07 06:54 PM
Little Minnie

Dairy is on a different level than fructose or soy. Dairy should be avoided by all with IBS because it always causes problems in the digestive tract.
Quote:

Dairy products[1] (cheese, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, cream, half-and half, ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, frozen yogurt). Dairy is an Irritable Bowel Syndrome trigger even if you're not lactose intolerant. It's simply not just the lactose. It's also not just the high fat content of most dairy products that can cause your IBS to flare. Even skim and lactose-free dairy can trigger IBS attacks. In addition to fat and lactose, dairy contains components such as the proteins whey and casein, which can cause severe digestion problems. Though yogurt is traditionally recommended as an "easily digestible" dairy product because fermentation has reduced the lactose levels, even non-fat versions contain whey and casein, and should be avoided.

Dairy, egg yolks and red meat are triggers in a different category than fructose. Not all with IBS are lactose intolerant but all those with IBS on Heather's diet should avoid dairy or try to for the most part. However fructose malabsorption concerns only a portion of those with IBS. And fructose eaten with fiber found in fruit should not bother most with IBS. Excessive amounts of fructose quickly ingested can bother anyone with a touchy tummy.
trigger list
fat is on the page before as the most common trigger BTW.
Here is where Heather talks about fructose:
fructose listed with other thing that need special handling

--------------------

fructose and the average IBSer new
      #309220 - 06/16/07 07:00 PM
Little Minnie

Please see my post below with quotes.
To answer your specific questions:
Everyone with IBS should avoid HFCS and be very careful with juice. Eating fructose containing foods with a soluble fiber base is fine for most IBSers. For those with bloating and D they may want to do FI tests or avoid it all for a while and see how they do. But for average IBSers eating fruit and honey with bread etc is fine. All IBSers should avoid artificial sweeteners and HFCS in my strong opinion and stay safe by trying to eat more natural foods.

--------------------

Fiber and Fructose new
      #309225 - 06/16/07 08:09 PM
Syl

Quote:

And fructose eaten with fiber found in fruit should not bother most with IBS

Generally speaking, there is less excess fructose in the fruit than its juice. However, speaking from experience and knowledge of the research in the field I can assure you that no matter how much soluble fiber you eat with a high fructose fruit or its juice or how much fiber there is in the fruit it will not buffer the effects of fructose for IBS suffers that are fructose malabsorbers. The only determining factor is the amount of excess fructose and the individual's tolerance to the excess.

As indicated many places on the main web site the EFI is a set of dietary guidelines. It is not a set of rules. Individuals should be encouraged to become stable using the guidelines. However, I believe most people would agree that IBS suffers should not be discouraged from experimenting to find their personal dietary limits with respect to fat, meat, dairy, soy, fructose and other problematic categories of food triggers.

About 75% of IBS suffers rarely seek medical assistance. They successfully self-treat with such things as imodium and/or fiber without making significant dietary changes. There are many sub-categories of IBS.

--------------------

Re: Fiber and Fructose new
      #309251 - 06/17/07 05:58 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

no matter how much soluble fiber you eat with a high fructose fruit or its juice or how much fiber there is in the fruit it will not buffer the effects of fructose for IBS suffers that are fructose malabsorbers.

but you are lumping IBS with fructose malabsorption and they are not the same. Not everyone with IBS has problems with fructose in foods. It is one thing to rule out, as it is important to rule out GI, but you are confusing people by making it sound like IBS can be cured by avoiding fructose. If someone has to additionally avoid gluten, soy or fructose that is a personal thing and not inclusive of IBS.

--------------------

Oh Gosh .... new
      #309281 - 06/18/07 08:14 AM
Syl

Quote:

but you are confusing people by making it sound like IBS can be cured by avoiding fructose.

If I have misled you or anyone else into thinking that I believe avoiding fructose is a cure for IBS I apologize. If you would kindly point out which posting(s) I made such a claim I will correct it immediately!

As one of the 30-40% of IBS suffers that has problems with fructose nothing would please me more than to see doctors routinely do a test for fructose malabsorption like they sometimes do for celiac disease, food allergies, etc. However, even though fructose has been known to be a trigger for IBS suffers since 1978 it is only within the past few years that substantive research studies have been published in leading GI journals commonly read by GPs and GI specialists. In fact, it was only last year that the first comprehensive dietary guidelines were published for doctors to help them with dietary advice for IBS patients that are fructose malabsorbers too.

As a start it sure would be nice to see the breath test or dietary exclusion test for fructose malabsorption added to Heather's of list of diagnostic tests one should ask their doctor for when being diagnosed for IBS.

--------------------

quite all right new
      #309327 - 06/18/07 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

I have felt lately that some of the posters/newbies might be confused into thinking fruit is bad for IBS. There has been a great deal of talk about avoiding fructose and this can lead some to think it is forbidden- just like a lot of talk about gluten intolerance can make people think gluten is bad for IBS. IMO the regular posters need to make sure that everything they advise is strictly to Heather's plan because that is what we are here to talk about.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review