All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
White Bread Question
      #308653 - 06/06/07 09:28 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

At the Super Market, there are SO MANY different types of French Bread. All of them vary in Fat and Fiber.
I have been buying the one that list 0% Fat and 0% Fiber.
Is this Ideal?
I worry about the ones that have 8% Fiber for it does not say whether it is Soluble or Insoluble.
And what about Wonder Bread...is it safe?
thanks
MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: White Bread Question new
      #308703 - 06/06/07 05:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wonder bread -and all breads in the bread aisle are not safe. They contain HFCS, unless they are grainy, earthy ones then they have too much whole wheat. I have never had a problem with any bakery french or sourdough breads that do not have dairy. I would prefer to buy one that looks more natural- not the cheap white dry kind. There is no reason to get the 0% fat or fiber. Fat is essential to the digestive tract and bread never has too much. The fiber in bakery french and sourdough and some italian should be SF so that would be good. the only way it isn't SF is if it has whole grain as the first ingredient, but if regular flour is the first ingredient you are good to go.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#308708 - 06/06/07 08:05 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am fine with lite white breads like D'Italiano, Village Hearth, Lite Life (or maybe it's Healthy Life), and Aunt Millie's Lite Potato Bread. Village Hearth is my standard.

These have always been safe for me, even before I was stable. YMMV.

#308737 - 06/07/07 11:23 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Here (in the UK) I often buy pre-packaged white bread from the supermarket bread aisle. I have never seen HFCS listed as an ingredient. My local shop sells bakery bread, but lists hydrogenated vegetable oil as an ingredient (which is not good, right?) Can anyone advise me which bread is likely to be safer - the supermarket pre-packaged loaf or the local bakery one? I seem to do fine with the pre-packaged bread, but would appreciate some input.

#308740 - 06/07/07 12:04 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Well, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My only advice would be to read labels tirelessly and know exactly what you are buying.

I don't think hydrogenated oils are specifically a red flag for IBS... the conventional wisdom now is that those are bad for your heart, which IMO is a good enough reason to avoid them.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#308772 - 06/07/07 07:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't believe the UK uses HFCS. I didn't even worry about it when there. The regular bread will be cheaper but bakery fresh is always better all around. I believe any oils have the same effect on the gut. It is quantity not quality, but I may be wrong.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308791 - 06/08/07 07:55 AM
Rio

Thanks for the advice. I am an avid label-reader, as both my children have food allergies, so I would notice immediately if the UK decide to use HFCS as an ingredient. Oddly, I have just come back from shopping, and was looking at the ingredients on a soy yogurt, and 'corn syrup' was listed. Anyone know if this is the same stuff? Otherwise, the yogurt looked safe - and yummy. But I didn't dare chance it!

Re: HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308795 - 06/08/07 08:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pure corn syrup is 100% glucose. HFCS is usually 45% glucose and 55% fructose. Pure corn syrup is ok - HFCS is problematic for individuals that have fructose malabsorption problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308799 - 06/08/07 09:35 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

is the HFCS usually mared in the ingredients?

Re: HFCS/Corn syrup new
      #308837 - 06/09/07 09:59 AM
Rio

Thanks Syl. I'll try that soy yogurt next time then!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review