All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Painful to sleep on the side, normal?
      #308539 - 06/04/07 04:04 PM
J.C.

Reged: 07/23/03
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Hey guys (sorry if this post is off-topic, a moderator can move it somewhere else if appropriate). I have IBS-C and I have been having trouble for a while now lying on my side when I go to bed. It's pretty painful, to be honest - it feels as if my ribs are rubbing up against my colon. No, I highly doubt anything is wrong with my ribs or anything, it's just as if my colon is rubbing up against something. I have pain no matter which side I sleep on - if I sleep on the left side, it feels as if I'm squishing my colon, and if I sleep on the right side, it feels as if it is rubbing up against something. I can usually sleep on my side with no pain if I just went to the bathroom, I'm guessing because my colon is empty and not going to rub up against anything. So, my question is, is this normal? Does anyone else here have trouble sleeping on their sides? Thanks!

John

--------------------
- John

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Painful to sleep on the side, normal? new
      #308587 - 06/05/07 10:25 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

I have had significant pain in my lower left side, even sitting can be painful sometimes. I am in the process of having further tests because my doctor is concerned that this is too much pain for ibs-c and wonders if there is something we are missing. Have you had any tests to check for diverticulitis?

#308589 - 06/05/07 10:39 AM
Nar

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: New York

I find that I wake up during the night or in the morning after sleeping on my side with pains in my lower back, almost as if my kidneys are being punched or squashed. I aksed a nutrionist about this and she didn't really give me much to go on, just that I may just have to go to the bathroom. I figure maybe the toxins in my system build up overnight and affect my kidneys, but I'm no doctor. Don't know if this helped at all.

--------------------
-Melissa=)
New York, NY

#308607 - 06/05/07 02:14 PM
J.C.

No, both of these posts have rung true. I have had muscle pain in my back when I wake up if I am overly constipated. Anybody else relate to this topic?

John

--------------------
- John

#308848 - 06/09/07 10:51 PM
J.C.

Bump

--------------------
- John

#309054 - 06/14/07 12:34 PM
AudreyK

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Halifax, Canada

I have the same kind of pain in my lower left side and I also have IBS-C. It usually goes away when I am walking around and busy during the day. As soon as I'm sitting or lying on my side it comes back. Sometimes it feels like inflammation right beside my belly button, sometimes it feels, as you described, like it's my ribs.
I have Crohn's in my family and I'm going to ask my doctor to check for that. I suggest having a serious chat with your doctor about your concerns and demand that some tests be done. There are some serious diseases and infections that have this kind of pain as a symptom and it may be unrelated to your IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review