All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
antibiotic question
      #308520 - 06/04/07 12:12 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I have a question for those who have had to take antibiotics. I just got put on one a few days ago for what my Dr. is assuming is a sinus infection. I told him that I was concerned about being on one and I don't think I stressed that enough, he said he was putting me on one of the most gentle one's, Cephalexin. I'm just concerned becuase I have been doing sooo great stomache wise that i don't want this to affect me in any way. I take DA IBS and on the box it says that antibiotics will lessen the effectiveness. I also take acacia fiber. Does anyone have any tips on or suggestions about how to cope with antibiotics?

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: antibiotic question new
      #308529 - 06/04/07 02:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Probiotics can help - but I think DA has a probiotic in it already, right? You could always try supplementing what's already there with soy yogurt. If DA doesn't contain probiotics, then that's certainly something you can try.

Other than that, my best advice is to eat safely, drink plenty, get lots of rest, and therefore try to avoid *other* potential triggers.

Honestly, I've been on antibiotics a couple times, and it really hasn't been that bad at all. Whatever you do, don't worry, because you're twice as likely to upset your guts by worrying!

#308532 - 06/04/07 02:47 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

so yogurt would help since it has probiotics? That's a good idea, I wasn't sure if that would help, I did search the boards and saw a lot people people suggest the more expensive probiotics, but I wanted a cheap version for just the short time period I would be taking this (10 days). Any suggestions pill-wise? The only reason I am concerned is becuase the DA box specifically says that antibiotics could lessen the effectiveness of the product.
thanks for the reply!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#308564 - 06/04/07 09:06 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I used Bio-K when I was on a course of antibiotics and it was great. As an IBS-Cer, the antibiotic made me horribly D, but the Bio-K made a huge difference! It's pricey (~$4/bottle), but you would only need two or three bottles to get you through a 10 day period.

WHENEVER you take probiotics and antibiotics, you need to space them apart by AT LEAST TWO HOURS!!! Otherwise, as the DA box mentions, they'll just cancel each other out.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 887 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review