All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Very surprised
      #308450 - 06/03/07 11:16 AM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

I have been having an attack or series of attacks for the last couple of weeks. I read on here about certain foods to eat to try to break the cycle. It really worked and I'm so thankful. I kind of went through the list and found things that I liked and just ate those, so for the past 3 days I have had mostly bananas, oatmeal, sourdough bread and applesauce. My stomach is so thankful. Except for the first day, I have had a few things in between, which I could tell pretty much right away but luckily didn't affect me too terribly. My stomach has just felt completely distended and it seemed like everything I ate made it worse within minutes. I am so worried that because my stomach has been so distended off and on for so long now, at least the last year or so, that it will stay "fat." I am overweight, too, but this distention has just driven me crazy. It's so hard to look decent in my clothes sometimes. Thank God the new look now is the longer tunic-type shirts! Anybody else have such problems with distention and did your stomache very come out of it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very surprised new
      #308472 - 06/03/07 05:45 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Do a recent search on bloating and/or distended belly and you'll see what many of us are battling. But don't fear b/c it sounds like you may have just gotten this way from the BTC diet and eating mostly just SF foods. ARe you having bms? Once you feel better after a few days, you need to slowly add in IF foods. Distended bellies and gas are apparently quite difficult to get rid of even on this diet but hopefully yours is just temporary and will "dissolve" so to speak once you get your sf/if ratio and bms regulated. Good luck!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#308572 - 06/05/07 06:55 AM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

Yes, hopefully this particular episode is temporary, but the distention has been with me for close to two years, on and off of course, but mostly on. I'm more of an IBS-C person. I'm not exactly constipated, just don't go very often. More like every 2-3 days. Any longer than that and I'm more miserable.

I'm just wondering if my belly will ever be normal looking again or am I doomed to look pregnant forever? Will things on the inside shrink back down once I'm under control? Sorry for the silly question when other people have more serious ones, but my stomach is a constant source of irritation for me when shopping for clothes with having to find longer shirts to hide behind. No way could I tuck anything in!

#308639 - 06/06/07 04:59 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I had a major issue with the distended belly until I figured out what worked for me. Mine is a drastic measure, so I don't recommend it. The only way I can get rid of the belly is by a drastically reduced calorie day that is mostly SF, with tiny bits of IF. If I eat more than a 1/4cup of food at any given time, even if it is totally safe food, I blow back up. I eat about 1/4c of rice with a couple of slices of cooked carrot or a couple peas about every 2 hours. Fortunately, I'm very overweight, so I can afford to eat like this. I don't know what I'll do if I get to the point where I need to maintain my weight.

Edited by kamikat (06/06/07 05:01 AM)

#308649 - 06/06/07 08:43 AM
line415

Kamikat, how often do you do this drastically reduced calorie day? Every couple days? And then does your belly remain flatter for a few days? I know that I do see somewhat of a difference when I eat less of course but losing weight hasn't really helped. I fit in all my prepregnancy clothes...smaller in rear, etc. but I still can't wear a basic t-shirt that is form fitted b/c I look prego. Thanks.

--------------------

#308652 - 06/06/07 09:24 AM
kamikat

I have to stay on the drastically reduced day or the belly with swell again. For instance, last night, I had a 1/2 cup serving of a recipe from Heather's book. It was totally safe and had nothing sketchy in it. Within 15 minutes, my belly was so swollen, I had to unzip my pants and it was very tender to the touch. Last week, I had the same meal, but only a couple bites and it was fine. I've doing this for about 2wks now. It's ok for now, as I started out needing to lose 85lbs, but I worry what will happen if I get to a point when I can't afford to lose weight.

#308711 - 06/06/07 08:26 PM
line415

Wow. That sounds dreadful...you must have great willpower. I would be starving. Well, I'm glad it is helping your distention and also your weight loss, but please make sure you nourish yourself and get the appropriate nutrients/vitamins that you need. Who REALLY cares if your belly is round? Your health is more important.

--------------------

#308729 - 06/07/07 07:17 AM
kamikat

I don't have great willpower. It was a matter of just happening on it one day, feeling fantastic, downright normal, for several days, then feeling the consequences after not sticking to this. I make sure there are tiny bits of chicken or fish and cooked veggies with every meal, but every meal is exactly 1/4 cup. It also helps to religiously track it on something like Sparkpeople or other diet tracker program. Yes, I am starving, but I'd rather be starving then so swollen that anything with a waistband hurts. I probably would get more total calories if I ate every hour, but right now I can use the weightloss!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review