All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
TRIED OF BEING TOLD I AM TO SKINNY! HOW DO I GAIN WEIGHT?
      #308124 - 05/30/07 08:52 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

If one more person tells me I'm to skinney I am going to sream!!! My mother told me you need to find something you can eat and get to eating it! I have lost alot of weight. But I don't know how to gain any with eating this way!Here is what i eat a day.
Breakfeast~ 2 bowls of rice crispies
snack~ pretzels
lunch~ turkey sandwitch or left overs from super or soup
snack soft pretzel or regular prestzel maybe some peaches or strawberries
Dinner~ something either chicken or turkey buger and either rice or pots
I could you some help
thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TRIED OF BEING TOLD I AM TO SKINNY! HOW DO I GAIN WEIGHT? new
      #308126 - 05/30/07 09:10 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

I feel exactly the same way. For the first time in my life I am trying to gain weight and am not having much luck either. I have tried protein shakes, they don't agree with me. I also try to get as many calories from liquid as I can. At this point I am maintaining fairly well, I lose a couple every two weeks or so but can put 1 or 2 back on but not any more than that. Good luck to you, I wish I could help more!!!

#308131 - 05/30/07 10:21 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I can understand what you are talking about. I use to be a size 12. When my IBS started 3 years ago I lost 45 pounds. Once I became stable I managed to gain weight and stay a lean size 6 or 8. I dealt with alot of comments and still do. My response is ususally "Well thank you. I eat just fine and am feeling healthy!" And I leave it at that. Most people know my situation so they have backed off. Sometimes I take the time to tell people that especially those who say "Man I wish I could be as skinny as you" I respond saying "I would love to be 15 pounds heavier and be able to eat whatever I want!" Mainly I just try to let it go. If you feel good and are doing what you need to then just realize that there are people who are going to say things. The sad thing is that alot of the times it is family. Hang in there. I know it's hard. Right now I am going through a hard time managing my IBS again after being stable. It is a life long battle. But places like these are great for venting your frustrations!

#308133 - 05/30/07 10:47 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hi,

I know how you feel. I was swimming in my size 4's last summer. I found that once I became more stable, and my tummy stopped hurting all the time, I could add some other foods into my diet. Now my pants fit perfectly. I bake lots of Heather's breads and low-fat cakes. It is a good wat to add more calories, and tame the sweet tooth at the same time! I hide good SF thing to the breads...like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, oats, dates.

Are you stable? If you are, maybe you can begin testing some other foods that have a bit more substance to them. I wish you luck!

#308221 - 05/31/07 09:15 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

Just wanted to add in my two cents about the weight issue. Two months ago I was afraid to eat anything for fear of the IBS attacks I would get. Needless to say, I lost 15 pounds, which is fairly substantial for someone of my frame (I'm petite and 5'2"). I weighed 96 pounds, which I hadn't weighed since highschool. Since then, though, I have gained back a good 5 pounds. Yet, whenever my parents call me, which they do frequently, my dad always asks what I weigh, and when I tell him, he says "I'd like you to gain at least 5 more pounds." As if I have complete control over that! I already know that I'm skinnier than I was (and probably than I should be) but that just serves to stress me out more. I like the idea of calmly explaining to him how much I have actually gained, so at least I'm not losing a bunch of weight like before. My advice is to keep following the diet and eat frequent small meals and you will see some increase. Granted, it will be small and take time, but I feel like even though it took me two months to gain 5 pounds, it is possible. Hang in there, and know that many other of us on this site completely understand how you feel!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerance

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#308276 - 05/31/07 05:26 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Ugh, I know exactly how you feel. I get this from family, friends and co-workers. I've gained back most of the weight I lost while at my IBS worst, and I still hear this from everybody. I wish people could be more understanding, but in the meantime, I've just started ignoring the skinny comments. They don't seem to hear me when I respond anyway.

Re: How do you eat small meals & WHAT to eat??? new
      #308348 - 06/01/07 03:15 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I do good to come up with breakfeast lunch and dinner snacks are the worse to come up with. I can't seem to find the "if i need for snacks and then I get to much souble. Any advice I need help? Thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review