All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
What am I doing wrong?
      #308102 - 05/29/07 05:39 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

So I've been doing the diet since early March and so far I've only had a few good days. Reading the other posts, I know it can take a year to stabilize, but should I be starting to feel a little better? I take Nexium every morning along with Nulev and then another nulev at night with a probiotic and a capful of Miralax. As far as food goes...
Breakfast: bowl of cream of rice cereal with cinamon
Snack: Mixed berry muffin
Lunch: bagel with low-fat PB or Turkey sandwich and applesauce or fruit
Snack: muffin or cinnamon toast
Dinner: chicken or turkey with pasta, potato, and/or bread.
Snack: rice krispies in Rice milk.

There are variations to dinner and I usually feel bad first thing in the morning and after dinner. What do I need to do differently?

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What am I doing wrong? new
      #308128 - 05/30/07 09:18 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

I wish I could help you, I am doing about the same and not seeing more than a couple of good days in a row and then back to feeling like #*!!. I have also been experiencing joint pain and fatigue lately, not sure if it is connected.

#308153 - 05/30/07 04:14 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you tried the BTC diet? Have you tried Acacia or hypno? There are a lot of things you can try out.

I'm curious, what are the ingredients in the muffins you eat?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#308170 - 05/30/07 06:22 PM
blackrvn5

I've done the BTC diet right at the beginning and then again a few weeks ago. The Acacia I also tried but my doctor took me off, I was getting so much nausea, diarrea, and pain. I was only doing 1/4 tsp. twice a day. The hypno I'm thinking will be next. I wanted to wait until the school year was over. My gyno switched my birth control to NuvaRing today and wants me to do it non-stop to get rid of the periods. She also is having me try Prozac to see if it helps with the PDD, though with the periods stopping, not sure what it will do. At least the hope is for the periods to stop. The muffins I'm eating is one of the blueberry muffin recipes for the index. I just add blackberries and marionberries to it-Flour, sugar, eggwhites, soy margarine, rice milk, vanilla, and baking powder. I'm trying to get the berries in daily for the anti-oxidants. My mom has macular degeneration so I'm supposed be preventative now.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#308171 - 05/30/07 06:24 PM
blackrvn5

I am also drinking both the fennel and pepperiment teas all day long at school and then water for dinner and back to tea before bed.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#308257 - 05/31/07 01:45 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Since you're taking Miralax I assume your main complaint is constipation. It looks to me like you're getting very, very little Insoluble Fiber - basically only what's in your muffins and your lunch fruit assuming it's not an SF fruit. All IBSers need Soluble Fiber to smooth out the gut but we all also need IF to stay healthy. And IBSers with C really, really, really need IF to get things moving. (You also may not be getting enough fat depending on how you're preparing your sandwich and your evening meal.)

Here are a couple of things you might read for some pointers:

Five Constipation Frustrations (Part 1)

Five Constipaton Frustrations (Part 2)

An interesting daily menu from someone with IBS-C

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#308265 - 05/31/07 03:10 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If you're an IBS-A, I'm not sure why your doctor has given you Miralax, siince it's usually reserved for people who are very C.

#308268 - 05/31/07 03:44 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

For me, eliminating my periods REALLY helped. I've taken the BC pill continuously for two years. No hormonal fluctuations, and no IBS flares. DH doesn't realize how lucky he is to have a wife that doesn't have periods OR PMS!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#308269 - 05/31/07 03:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I agree with Sand. You need to add more IF!! Try bean dips, brown rice, smoothies, sauces made from pureed veggies, etc.

Also, what are your portion sizes like? I try to limit each meal/snack to about 1.5 cups of food. Doesn't sound like much, but eating small meals more often has really helped my C.

Do you exercise every day? Have you tried Natural Calm for C?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#308274 - 05/31/07 04:35 PM
blackrvn5

I figured I'm not getting enough IF during the day. Usually try to have a veggie with dinner...corn, beans, carrots. Though I guess the carrots are SF? Much more gassy at night after dinner. I've tried to increase the exercise. Getting on the treadmill about 3 times a week. Just so tired still. I used to have smoothies before I got bad last year. Should I try that again in the afternoon? Also, I'm not sure on the IBS-A. Basically I used to go about a week with very little BM and lots of gas and then have a day of D and vomiting with severe pain which would wipe me out for a couple of days. It was this endless cycle.I'm not having the attacks anymore and the daily nausea I've had over the past 9 months has mostly gone away. It just gets bad with the PMS. I have daily BM now, but I get pain with it which goes away after a few hours and then a dull ache on and off through the day. The evenings is when the gas and pain come back again. I would just love to have normalcy.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7818

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review