All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: What am I doing wrong? new
      #308421 - 06/02/07 07:00 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Is it possible you have candida overgrowth?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#308423 - 06/02/07 07:04 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Yeah, the muffins are homemade. Everything is nowdays. Good thing I love to bake. Actually, I don't think I'm getting much fat in my diet at all. I sometimes use a Vegan Butter on the toast and potatoes. Depending on how I am feeling. If not so well, I use the cinnamon by itself and only S&P on my potatoes.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Re: What's Candida overgrowth? -nt- new
      #308424 - 06/02/07 07:05 PM
blackrvn5

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#308427 - 06/02/07 07:47 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It's when the bad bacteria over grows, or crowds out the good bacteria in your gut. People usually take probiotics for that.

#308428 - 06/02/07 07:52 PM
blackrvn5

Ok, my doctor has me on a probiotic now. He had talked about if it didn't help trying an antibiotic in case I have too much bacteria. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to most antibiotics, so I'm really hoping the probiotic works.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#308429 - 06/02/07 07:58 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I think the antibiotic is not a good idea since antibiotics are usually the culprits that destroy all the bacteria (good and bad) in your gut, and promotes candida overgrowth.
Probiotics usally take a good 90 days to start seeing a difference so don't give up on them too quickly.

#308436 - 06/02/07 09:16 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

I find that I cannot eat pasta at night (though I can't seem to stop eating it and making myself sick!!). Although pasta is a safe food - it totally binds me up. I find a lifesaver is white rice - if I can limit my portion to one cup. I find my best, safe meal is grilled chicken breast, 1 cup of white rice and a cup of steamed veggie with a little olive oil and lemon. And I also stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. You should try something like that for a dinner alternative.

Re: Candida Information new
      #308448 - 06/03/07 09:03 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Here's a link that gives more info on candida. Do you have many of the candida symptoms listed? You may need to adjust your diet as well to starve the fungus...

http://www.customprobiotics.com/candida.htm

Good luck!

#308590 - 06/05/07 10:46 AM
santino75

Reged: 05/30/07

Even though you dont have celiacs disease it doesnt mean that wheat and gluten dont cause you problems.My suggestion is cut out the wheat and anything that contains gluten. If it doesnt work it doesnt work and then you can be sure that you've eliminated one variable. But if it does work...........I reckon its worth the try. I mean thats just my suggestion. I dont want to tell you you gotta do this or that or blindly obey a diet laid out by somebody you dont know. The evidence does back up the wheat and gluten theory though, I mean, try this little experiment to see what happens when you put bread inside your body: Take a slice of white bread and place it in a bowl of water. Very quickly the bread expands to a size a fair bit bigger than that of the original slice. This is what happens when its inside your stomach, it expands and and causes bloating. If you need any information on what to substitute for wheat based foods or if you wanna ask me any questions give me a shout.
Good luck

Correction new
      #308601 - 06/05/07 01:14 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

The evidence does back up the wheat and gluten theory though, I mean, try this little experiment to see what happens when you put bread inside your body: Take a slice of white bread and place it in a bowl of water. Very quickly the bread expands to a size a fair bit bigger than that of the original slice. This is what happens when its inside your stomach, it expands and and causes bloating.

This statement is incorrect. This is simply the absorption of water by the bread. Many carbohydrates including IF from grains and fruits absorb water and swell when placed in water.

The absorption of water by bread has nothing to do with bloating.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8062

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review