All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bloating
      #308 - 02/02/03 02:26 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi, I'm new here and suffer from IBS-C. The C is well under control now thanks to Heather's diet. However the one symptom I cannot seem to shake is severe bloating. My stomach gets so swollen and uncomfortable and I get a horendous pain in my back along with it. It really makes me miserable. I drink lots of Fennel Tea. Has anyone found a way of easing severe bloating? Please help!

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating new
      #338 - 02/03/03 12:24 PM
shannon114

Loc: Ireland

Hi again,i'm new here too.Iam very like you,do you think there is some ONE item that is causing your bloating?
I almost know what triggers this for me but with ibs something you eat ok today may not agree with you the next day.I have tried fennal tea but most of the time peppermint tea helps me.I have just eaten one little piece of candy (caramel)i just had to have it and within minutes i bloated so i made peppermint tea and it is setteling down.Maybe you have tried this too? Maybe someone that is here longer will reply to you on this.
Tina.

#341 - 02/03/03 01:08 PM
KinOz

Thanks Tina,

I'm not sure what is causing the bloating as I stick religiously to Heather's diet. I too find P Tea to be good, although I find it eases the bloating but doesn't make it go away. I notice that it all depends how I feel in the morning. If I start the day without being bloated I usually go all day feeling fine but just the same if I start off bloated I tend to stay that way.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#361 - 02/03/03 04:43 PM
shannon114

Me again,could it be hormonal? I tend to have a fluid problem and like you i find if i wake feeling good i'm that way almost all day.It's just a suggestion,maybe someone else can come in here to help i'm sure this is a common problem,replys appreciated to help.
Tina.

#366 - 02/03/03 08:56 PM
KinOz

Thanks Tina, I think it could be hormonal and will talk to my gyn. on Monday. The Bloating really flared about 4 months ago and has been bad since and I haven't had a period since then so I think things are all messed up and that is affecting the IBS. Thanks for your advice and I would appreciate hearing from anyone else in a similiar situation.
Kerrie

--------------------

#371 - 02/04/03 02:26 AM
shannon114

Glad to be of help Kerri,by the way Ireland is about five hours ahead of U.S.A depending on where you live.
Good luck with this.
Tina.

#373 - 02/04/03 08:07 AM
susaloh

Loc: Kiel, Germany

I find I get more bloating before and around ovulation than afterwards (then I get cramps instead and I'd rather get the bloating...). I think I get the bloating because one section of my colon cramps up really tight and that's where the gas gets stuck. It just can't get out. Sometimes I'm surprised how tiny the amount of gas actually is that's causing me that bloated feeling and pain. Other family members on 'normal' diets do pass far more gas! So I think with my very limited diet (based on Heather's guidelines) I am actually successfully avoiding bloating foods.
When I get cramps I mean something else, then it's like my whole colon contracts in waves which often leads to D. I've noticed that when I have that type of cramps I never have bloating at the same time. It's like two sets of symptoms.

Susaloh

#384 - 02/04/03 02:04 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Hi, I'm new to the board and suffer IBS-C too, my gyn put me on the Yasmin pill and it has helped me, I do have bad days a few days before onset, but is relieved once I start

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#421 - 02/05/03 02:43 AM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Hi Kerrie,

I love this board!!! It is so nice to hear other peoples stories and know we're not alone with our problems.

I also get severe bloating (I'm IBS-c and D) I think in some ways it's the worst of my symptoms. I also get worse bloating just before and the first few days of my period. I also get what I call "clunky" bowels (I can feel the gas moving in fits and starts..very uncomfotable) I have, however, discovered a few things....

I read somewhere that the severe bloating doesn't always mean excess gas production. In some people normal gas production is perceived as an overload and the gut expands to accommodate....or something along those lines.

I have found yoga is great for the bloating, particularly the wind releasing pose (from memory knee to chest). Also I find pilates excellent, same with yoga I don't eat 2-3 hours beforehand.

I find doing any excercise on a full stomach causes bad bloating, in the mornings I have to drink water when I get back from a walk, not before...don't know why.

Also, overeating (even a bit) causes bad bloating in me...and is my biggest downfall..its a pity heather's recipes are so good.

And lastly for me the biggest difference was made when I cut wheat out of my diet (the first thing I changed in my diet, about 8 months ago now). Within 24 hours I went from needed to expell gas every 15 mins or so to that of a normal person!! as you can imagine the bloating improved considereably because of this.

There is nothing quite as strange to me as being unbelievably bloated, but hungry at the same time. Anyone else had this??

Hope this helped at all, I know we are all different!!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your success.

Emma

#440 - 02/05/03 05:11 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Emma - I, too, have to expel gas about every 10-15 minutes, especially during the night. I find my husband sleeping in the guest room because he just couldn't stand it any longer (Of course, his snoring is not as bad!!) . What, in particular, did you cut out in the way of "wheat"? Thanks in advance for your response.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#453 - 02/05/03 10:38 PM
KinOz

Dear Emma,

Thank you for all your suggestions and I can certainly relate to the "clunky bowels".

I will give the things you suggested a try and let you know how I go.
Kerrie

--------------------

#454 - 02/05/03 10:47 PM
emmab

Hi Sharon,

I cut out the wheat when my doctor suggested my symptoms might be coeliac disease (gluten intolerance)...it turns out that I don't have coeliac, but just wheat intolerance instead.

Well, it was quite a list of things I cut out, I got most of my info from coelic disease websites...I reintroduced other products with gluten later with no problems.

Grains I can eat include:

rice, oats, corn meal, rye, buckwheat (not actually wheat at all) spelt and kamut (some very funky ancient relatives of wheat that taste pretty much the same in baking) and other flours such as potato, soy, rice (I don't tend to use these seperately but they come in a lot of prepackaged gluten free stuff I buy like my most favourite buckwheat pancakes).
I eat alot of rice, rice noodles, polenta, corn tortillas, spelt pasta and potatos, pumpkin, parsnip etc.

There are others I haven't tried yet (not sure how much insoluble fiber they have) like quinona and amaranth.

Generally, I got rid of wheat bread, pasta, biscuits, muffins, flour tortillas (it helps that you already probably don't eat premade cakes etc)

There is wheat hidden in so many foods it totally threw me for a while until I got really good at reading labels (again coeliac websites would be useful).
Soy, teriyaki and hoisin sauces have wheat. I tend to use tamari and sweet chili sauce for cooking, also fish sauce and oyster sauces are ok. With sauces watch out for things that have "stabilisers" and "thickeners". Other pitfalls are chips (like the fancy flavours on potato chips), baked beans.....I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I have managed to find safe versions of most things at the supermarket just by reading different brand's labels. I have found good baked beans (which don't make me fart??) and even barbeque sauce the other day.

It took a while to get myself in the habit of eating successfully wheat free (have been for 8 months now). And considering how much better it is not to fart ALL the time, I don't miss it much.....kamut really is the best alternative bread I think, tastes just like the real thing!!

Best of luck, I don't know if I've gone overboard with the advice here , I hope it helps.

Keep me posted on your success.

Emma

#623 - 02/10/03 08:20 AM
SharonMello

Emma - no, you didn't go overboard. I really appreciate it. I've been thinking maybe it's the fiber I've been taking. I didn't take any w/dinner last night and I didn't start with the farts until about 10 pm. By 3 am, I found my husband in the guest room again. He said he's just going to go right in there at bedtime instead of getting up at 3 or whatever time to go in there. If he didn't wake up at all until morning, he wouldn't even know the farts were there, would he?!

Anyway, I'm going to try another fiber pill and if that doesn't work, I'll go your route. I do eat a lot of flour fat free tortillas and homemade cakes (Heather's and Wt Watchers recipes), so it's a definite possiblity. I don't really like corn tortillas, but if I have to...

Thanks again.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#735 - 02/12/03 10:56 AM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Hot peppermint tea, several times a day really has helped me. I also recommend starting the day with a bland rice soup: Put 2 cups water in a small pan, add 1/4 cup of rice, bring to boil, lower flame and continue cooking for 45 min to 1 hr until it becomes soft and mushy, add more water if it starts to dry. This has helped me particularly on days when I went to bed with bad IBS attack. Good luck.

Olgis

#748 - 02/12/03 01:30 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I also suffer from bloating and some days I manage to get it under control before it gets to be untolerable and other days I guess I'm not quick enough. I hope that one day will be able to have bloat free days!

I also feel that peppermint tea is brilliant and have increased my intake of that depending on if I feel an attack coming on.

Since starting on the "Heather diet", I already feel loads better!

Emmab, I also feel relieved to not have gas like I used to and also feel like a human. It would get downright embarressing at work! Not only that, but I knew that if I kept it in, how I would suffer later on. I also would have that problem of being hungry but so bloated and in pain the thought of food would scare me!

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#749 - 02/12/03 01:43 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Emma,

How did you cut wheat out? What types of tips do you have? I have been thinking about trying to cut it out?

Heidi

#765 - 02/12/03 05:50 PM
SharonMello

I also get bloated, which never happened before and I get terrible gas. Still trying to find my gas trigger. But, in the morning, I get a big ceramic teapot and put two peppermint teabags and one peppermint/spearmint combination teabag in the pot w/boiling water and sweetner. I let it steep about 10-15 minutes and drink a large cup with my breakfast. Then I let the bags steep until it gets cold and fill a huge glass half full with the rest of the tea and then chipped ice. I drink from it all day until dinner, when I make another large glass of it.

The only thing I have found to make me feel better when my stomach is bloated is to put a larger pair of trousers on so they're not so tight. It's a real pisser, it is!

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#800 - 02/13/03 12:40 AM
emmab

Hi Heidi,

I have posted some tips on how I cut out wheat in this thread. I should add that if you just cut out the obvious wheat in your diet (bread, pasta, cakes etc), and you are wheat intolerant, you should should still notice a big difference. At first I only cut out obvious things and noticed the difference. It is only now that I've been off wheat for 8 months and am feeling much better that I can actually notice the effect of 'hidden' wheat.

I can recommend making heather's breads with spelt flour for snacks and keeping a stock of rice crackers with you. I've also found good quality corn and spelt pasta (I'm not a huge fan of rice pasta) spelt and kamut bread and some oat based museli bars.

Good luck. It is difficult at first (particularly eating out, I still have trouble with that) but it does become second nature.

Take care,

Emma

#801 - 02/13/03 12:46 AM
emmab

Hi Peanut,

it is awfully embarrasing at work isn't it!! It was only after I started working in a small lab with 8 others that I was forced to do something about my IBS (until then I'd been working outdoors for quite a while). It is so much better now!!
With me the food always won in the food vs bloating debate (bloating makes me depressed and I eat when I'm depressed....it's hard to win isn't it )

Take care,

Emma

#806 - 02/13/03 02:16 AM
Peanut

Hello Emma,

I work at Starbucks and luckly run the drive thru while at work, so I was able to stand in the window a lot. It still made it hard though. Most of the people there knew I was having problems with my stomach and that I was trying to sort it out. I am just so glad that the past few days has been gas free!

Thanks for replying back. Yesterday was my first day on the board and I really feel at home here.

Take care yourself,

Sheri (Peanut)

--------------------

#865 - 02/14/03 03:28 AM
emmab

Geez..it must be so hard working around all that yummy coffee and not being able to drink it, I don't know how I'd cope. I really do miss a good coffee.

Good effort with being gas free!!!

Take care, Emma

#866 - 02/14/03 04:48 AM
Peanut

Good morning or should I say evening to you Emma. Would you be surprised to know that I haven't drank coffee in about 2 1/2 years? It always surprises the customers them. Good thing, because that would have been another thing to give up. I have been lucky with only having to give up Dairy ( a tough one for me) and whole wheat, but haven't had any problems with french bread. How do you do it not having any wheat at all? I salute you! Until next.

Take care,

Sheri

PS
Are you looking forward to the move?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review