All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tingling in my legs
      #307946 - 05/24/07 07:34 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

does anyone here experience tingling/numbness in their legs? i was wondering if it can be caused my a vitamin deficiency or something like that. i usually notice it more in the evenings and in the middle of the night if i wake up.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tingling in my legs new
      #307951 - 05/24/07 08:15 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You should talk to your doctor about that. It may be something simple that he or she can fix.

#307967 - 05/25/07 05:32 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I second that. Back injury, nutritional deficiencies, restless leg syndrome - there are a lot of possiblilties. Any neurological symptoms should be checked out by an MD.

#307969 - 05/25/07 05:36 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'd see your doctor. Is it in the front of your legs, back? Any other pain? I have a tingling/numbness/hot/cold in my left leg but it is associated with my sciatica (nerve pain in my back). Definitely talk to doc about it.
Good luck.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#307972 - 05/25/07 06:50 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Thought you guys might find it interesting that the company GSK actually invented the problem of "Restless Leg Syndrome." My wife works for GSK and they discovered a chemical combination that relaxed the legs so they invented the phrase for marketing reasons. Gets everyone with a tingle wondering whether or not they have "RLS" as GSK has coined it. Gotta love corporate America. I wouldn't worry too much about it everyone tingles from time to time due to stress. Try taking a Multivitamin and sticking religiously to the diet. Good luck!

#307973 - 05/25/07 07:04 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Mark,

I have Restless Leg Syndrome. Anyway my legs are tingling but so are my arms daytime and nighttime. I have medication for it. Talk to your Dr. Also are you anemic by any chance? Because being anemic can cause RLS symptoms, and also I believe lacking the B vitamins especially B12 also contributes to this, I am not certain but you could ask your Dr.I hope this helps

Terry

#307983 - 05/25/07 09:45 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My boyfriend and I were just talking about this last night. Apparently, a good self-help treatment for restless leg syndrome is to go for a walk. Imagine that!

That said, I noticed my legs got twitchy when I started taking lexapro - medications can screw with you that way. You could also try taking a multivitamin. If it really bothers you, or if you recently did anything that could have caused injury - a fall, a pulled muscle, a twisted ankle - get checked out by a doctor.

I'm assuming you asked this here at least partly because you're wondering if such a thing is an IBS symptom, and it definitely is not.

Hope that helps a bit!

RLS new
      #307985 - 05/25/07 09:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Restless leg syndrome ( RLS history ) has been reported in the research literature as far back as 1944. There have been over 350 papers published on the RLS since the 1960s.

I believe what GSK did was to run an marketing campaign in 2006/2007 for Requip, a drug that was original approved for Parkinson's disease in 1997. Its use in RLS was approved by the FDA in 2005. The campaign increased public awareness about a disease that was rarely mentioned even by physicians.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: RLS new
      #308032 - 05/27/07 06:09 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Syl,

I want to tell you since I have RLS, I found the article link you posted very interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

Terry

tingling with IBS symtoms new
      #308103 - 05/29/07 05:49 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just wanted to note that I often got tingling in my ankles/toes when I was having a d attack. It was one of my symtoms that I even mentioned to my GI who had never heard about it and dismissed it. I would feel cold and curl up in a ball in between d attacks and even while on the bowl I could feel the discomfort in my feet. Since I have been stable, this sympton has gone away completely. Are you getting the pain associated with an IBS attack or just intermittently throughout the day/week?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: tingling with IBS symtoms new
      #365881 - 08/23/11 08:41 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Is Requip a safe IBS drug?
Or will cause more problems?

#365884 - 08/24/11 06:53 AM
Syl

You might find the write-up on the Harvard Medical School website of interest Restless leg syndrome. It says "Side effects are uncommon, especially in the low doses used for RLS, but may include nausea, constipation, nasal stuffiness, and fatigue." It can have some GI side-effects.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365943 - 08/28/11 11:26 PM
hudlander

I'm wondering if any on the board have taken requip and share experiences.

The dr. told me side effects were minimal, but doing internet research I am alarmed on how many report weight gain, massive.

#365944 - 08/29/11 06:45 AM
Syl

If you check a reliable source of information such as NIH Medline PLus report on the side effects of Requip you will find weight gain is not a side-effect. On the other hand weight loss is a reported side-effect.

If you read some of the blogs you will see a few people report it as a side effect. Anecdotal information from bloggers is usually not a reliable sources of drug side effects.

--------------------

#365950 - 08/29/11 12:59 PM
hudlander

When I went on askapatient, many many complained of weight gain.
This post you linked, weight gain is hardly mentioned.

I wonder who is right lol?

I see constipation is on there, but again, this is listed for practically every single drug out there.
It is hard to determine if the risk is bigger with this drug than others.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review