All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten free diet
      #307800 - 05/22/07 01:58 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Hi,
A nutritionist I am consulting with for my daughter said that alot of cases of Irritable bowel syndrome that she has worked with is due to gluten intolerance. Not that a person actually has celiac disease but a gluten intolerance and once remove it from the diet she often sees a great improvement. Just curious if many of the people here have tried going gluten free and seeing what happens?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It didn't help me at all -nt- new
      #307801 - 05/22/07 02:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Gluten free diet new
      #307811 - 05/22/07 04:13 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I've been trying it for a little over a week, after talking to my GI about it. It seems to help a little bit, I've noticed I have less gas. But it's really hard to stick to the diet, & it's expensive if you buy all the gluten-free stuff out there. They have some g/f foods, like brownie mixes & cookies, that are pretty good, but I didn't like rice bread, it's too hard & crumby. Not sure if it will work for your daughter, but I personally feel like anything is worth trying as long as it's not harmful. HTH!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#307822 - 05/22/07 05:42 PM
mbland

Reged: 05/22/07

A doctor thought that I had Celiac disease and I tried the diet for about 4 months. At the beginning, I noticed a difference... but the 2nd month all of my stomach aches were back. I also gained a lot of weight from all the heavy soy flours and such that I had to eat. It was a very stressful diet to follow... and it seemed to do nothing.

#307833 - 05/22/07 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is worth a try. I have done it 3 times and finally figured out for sure I am not sensitive. The problem with nutritionists is that they tell everyone to avoid the same things. I wonder why people even pay them! You could give me $150 to tell you to avoid dairy, gluten, yeast and sugar. I wonder how many of them are on the diets they always recommend?!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#307854 - 05/23/07 06:11 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I followed the GF diet for about 8 years. It did dramatically improve symptoms, but did not eliminate them. I now take medication that allows me to eat gluten again. My GI said that wheat is the most common trigger for IBS symptoms.

also, most GF breads are not IBS safe new
      #307855 - 05/23/07 06:13 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

When I first got Heather's book, I was still following the GF diet. I found that most store-bought and all of my baking recipes were NOT IBS safe. They all contained way to much fat. In many cases, oil was listed as the second ingredient on the label.

#307862 - 05/23/07 08:12 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I have followed the advice of various nutritionists over the last 10 years in an effort to help control the pain of my IBS, including many months avoiding gluten. I also avoided wheat for years - only reintroduced it last October, when I started the EFI diet. It seems that whole wheat caused me problems, but white flours products are fine. Gluten free diets didn't improve my symptoms at all (I have tested negative twice for coeliac disease during the course of IBS diagnosis). I agree with Little Minnie - nutritionists tell everyone to avoid the same things. Dairy of course is an IBS trigger - but avoiding yeast and sugar didn't help me at all, and I did it for years.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 937 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review