All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I need help with IBS-C input new
      #308935 - 06/12/07 11:19 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Much of the info for IBS is about D since that seems to be more predominent than C. Those that I know personnaly who have IBS are D and I'm the odd one out with C. There are however, plenty of Cs around as I found out when I got on this website. I do use Miralax and have for a number of years now. It is non-addictive. I use the prescription version but they do have it as an OTC. I don't know if there is any difference between the two(strength, fillers and all). I've been able to use 1/2 a dose every other day and I use the acacia fiber too. Magnesium tablets do help out too. Just keep trying different things till you find what works for you.

I follow the diet with a twist since wheat is an issue for me. You don't have to eat bland at all. I cook for my family and it's not bland in any way. We love garlic and spices but I'm careful with the cayenne pepper since that will irritate me way too much. I like Zesty Blend mixes or the Tones mixes from Sam's.

I get the nausea sometime when I get a bad reaction. The body wants to get rid of what is bothering it, plain and simple. When I get an attack I do several things. I take a pamprin(I found by accident that it helps with the cramps immensly and my doc says use it if it works), then I drink a cup of hot peppermint tea mixed with Acacia and 1/2 dose of Miralax with a peppermint tablet. Next I heat a hot pack and then lay down with it on my gut(to ease the transverse colon cramps) and moving it to my back(where the descending colon is closer). This calms things down greatly. While the initial stool tends to be hard it gets pushed out by the softer stuff behind it inside a relaxed colon.

Just keep on trying. You'll find your own personal way of eating that will help you. I still react at times and can't figure out why but I do ok more and more often now a days.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#308961 - 06/12/07 07:35 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Catnut, you mentioned Pamprin. I just saw a commercial for Midol that claims to reduce bloating unike other period-type meds. Any thoughts? I usually take two motrin which don't really seem to bother me too much since my system is already messed up during my period anyway. It helps so much with the cramps but I was wondering about the bloating.

Also, for cramps I use the Thermacare patches...for the intial poster...in case you needed another idea. They're wonderful.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#308998 - 06/13/07 10:58 AM
catnut

I use Pamprin because I can't use meds with Ibuprfin in them. Midol would probably help too. They do have an antispasmodic in them as well as stuff for the pain and bloating. It works for me and I'd rather use that then Bentyl.

I've never used the patches but that would be a good idea for traveling too. Thanks

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#309013 - 06/13/07 05:14 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks. Maybe I'll try Midol or Pamprin next month.

Sometimes the patches are on sale (3 in a pack for about $6). They are definitely great for on the go and for sleeping. I only need to use them the first day of my period when the cramps are the worst. Hope you like them.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#309027 - 06/13/07 11:10 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hi Lainey,

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble managing your IBS symptoms, I honestly empathize with you. I doubt the position you find yourself in is a rare one. Personally, I find that dealing with my IBS seems to come in stages, and they don't always flow smoothly through one into another; sometimes I find myself moving backwards more often than forward. First of all, I want to point out that I've been rather slacking off; I try to commit to following certain steps/guidelines/rules whatever, and end up not following most. Also, forgive me if I get super detailed, but I think it's important to be candid and honest about this kind of thing as it benefits everyone. Basically, your first weapon is knowledge. I have IBS-C also, but it didn't start out that way. Over 7 years ago when I started having severe cramps, bloating, twisting abdominal pain, nausea, and urgency problems, I would spend weeks in a C misery, only to end up with D for a straight night. The pain was so bad once that my work called an ambulance for me. I haven't had much time (or maybe I haven't made time because I'm so scatter-brained w/the rest of my life) to log onto Heather's site and keep up with everything. I am still overwhelmed and frustrated by all of it, that I find it difficult to do what needs to be done. I have a very limited income, so can't afford the substitutions and other things that would probably help me. Probably a year ago, a wonderful lady sent me her IBS books that she no longer needed and those were a great help.

I have noticed, though, that in the past six months or more, my BMs have been a bit more frequent (1-3 times a week versus maybe once a month) and are either small and soft or larger size, but still fairly soft. Now that I really think about it (your post made me think about it), I haven't been constipated for more than 3-4 days at a time, and when I do have a BM, they are more comfortable than I used to have to deal with. I used to suffer from C for weeks or months at a time before my body literally forced a BM that was hard, large, and extremely painful. I still have infrequent cramping, but not as much of the twisting pain, and the bloating has been minimal when I have it (I look a few months' pregnant versus 9 months'), and the spasms are milder. No, I'm honestly not symptom-free, but seem to be suffering from them less often. I still haven't gotten over being angry over dealing with IBS-C though, nor do I truly feel completely comfortable w/telling ppl about it, b/c some ppl refuse to or just can't understand, or they pity me. My mom and one of my best friend's do their best to try to keep my IBS-C in their conscious mind when they are thinking up menus or places to eat out at. I think what you should try to do, Lainey, is to keep a food diary. Also, I have found that you don't have to eat bland food at all, just do your best to understand your tolerances - you'll find out better w/a food diary. For example, I have eaten a variety of recipes w/veggies and ground turkey, chicken breasts, fruit, etc. I've also been able to try snack and dessert foods that are safe for me and were quite good. There are several here in the IBS Recipe Exchange that I have made or make often that are tasty and safe, and that others in my family have enjoyed. Because of the money issue, I have not been able to fully commit myself to a completely revamped diet, but when I can, I am usually pleased by the results. When I don't follow the diet in some way, I consciously make that decision, but I try not to stress over it. For example, if I end up having to eat something w/dairy or whole eggs, I minimize the effect it might have in any way possible, but I don't stress about it. Stress is, as far as I can tell, the #1 most common trigger for IBS symptoms. So are anxiety and depression. I suffer from all of those. :/ A depressed, stressed, and anxious GI tract works poorly even if you don't have IBS. Let me see if I can clarify my ideas and tell you what *I* as an IBS-C sufferer have been doing/trying/using. Please keep in mind that my efforts are sometimes inconsistent (dumb money problems), but I can tell they are working for me.

Food Diary - Write down the time you wake up and how you feel before you do anything, if applicable note your BM too, then note what you eat (or if you didn't eat) for breakfast, try to note your eating and activities, mood, and actions, and the times thorughout the day, and how your body feels physically in accord with all of these, and be brutally honest w/yourself. Do this for the whole day, up until you go to bed. The longer you keep the diary, the more you can find patterns or things that help or hurt. This will help you pay attention to what and how you are eating, how you prepare it, what the food makes you feel like, and also how your mind and body react to all the daily things you do. Maybe you'll find that you need more sleep, or to drink more water, etc.

Find support (like Heather's site). Also, if your friends, family, and co-workers understand (and honestly it's on a need-to-know basis); you'll probably know who should know about your IBS. Sometimes, to help ppl understand better, I might compare my IBS dietary requirements to a food allergy, b/c more ppl understand food allergies and that has seemed to really help ppl take me seriously.

Once you know your tolerances a bit better, you can start taste-testing so to speak different substitutions or alternative foods and various recipes. My 2nd favorite site for recipes is Recipezaar (I have a few IBS recipes on there, too, as well as successfully subbed in other recipes. The site address is recipezaar.com. Lots of ppl from Heather's site post there, too.) I've found that unsweetened soy milk is the most economical for me to buy b/c I found a brand I like, it's not overly expensive, readily available in most regular supermarkets (not just HFS or natural food stores), and is the most versatile in most recipes both cooked or non-cooked. I can also add non-dairy chocolate syrup or vanilla extract to it to change it to my tastes or for the recipe. Eggbeaters is also another favorite of mine, and again for several of the same reasons as for the soy milk I buy. I can handle turkey bacon well (some can't). Soy yogurt is quite good, I've tried margarine/butter subs with good results, a mayo sub, soy cheese, rice cheese, and almond cheese all with good results. Ground turkey and boneless, skinless chicken breasts are my friends, I can tolerate oatmeal and also some whole grains, white rice... there's more, it's a long list!

Dang, I just realized how long this message got, so I'll cut it short for now, although there is much more detail I'm sure I could add. Well, first, let me tell you a few things I try to use (when I can afford them). Btw, I have no medical insurance, so OTC's are it for me; although I used to take Zelnorm, which was working, but apparently there's a new study out about it... I think my BF found a Zelnorm story several months ago on CNN.com.

Digestive Advantage for IBS - chewable tablets in a 30-day supply taken once daily, but I sometimes have to skip days to make them last, though taking them daily helps the most for me. This really does help (sometimes) prevent and even moderate my symptoms better.

Generic Gas-X - I take the softgels, maximum strength. Sometimes I take 2, sometimes I need to follow the directions and take a higher dose. They work very decently though, for me.

Drinking warm water or using a heat pad.

Generic extra-strength Lactaid - although ppl with IBS normally don't have the typical lactose-intolerance that Lactaid is made for, sometimes taking one before a meal I know I can't avoid that might have any amount of dairy in it seems to sometimes head off problems.

Again, I try to not stress and know that if I do eat something that might not agree with my GI tract, to not dwell on it too much, but just recognize what I'm doing (or not doing). I know it's hard and frustrating. Tons of luck to you, Lainey, and again so very sorry this got so long! Lol! IBS in whatever forms it takes seems very individualized with a handful of stuff that most have in common and the rest is just all over the place, so I know how tough it can be to find what works for you. Patience is difficult when you're in pain. *HUGS*

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Sommer new
      #309045 - 06/14/07 10:26 AM
catnut

When you are able to, order the Acacia fiber. It will last you a long time. The cost of it will balance out as you may not need the other OTC's you are using as often. I've followed the same track with the Lactaid, gas-x etc all in the generic versions. Brach's star peppermints or Altoids are a cheap and a simple help. Bulk peppermint leaves are pretty cheap and the tea is great hot or cold. I love peppermint- good thing- now I need it more than ever. All of this is overwhelming. I'm helping a friend begin her journey with IBS. She was diagnosed only a week ago. It's a long road with no true direction but we all do the best we can.

--------------------

#309091 - 06/15/07 05:12 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Unfortunately, I doubt you will see much of a difference from the Bio-K pills. A few people on here have tried them, and the company actually states that the "yogurt" is more effective than the pills. I wouldn't worry about what's in the Bio-K yogurt; just get the dairy-free kind and you should be fine! I'm also pretty sensitive to soy, but had no trouble with it at all.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Sommer new
      #309141 - 06/15/07 03:30 PM
Sommer

Catnut, thank you so much for the nice reply. I actually have used Altoids and I carry them with me wherever I go just in case. Sometimes, at restaurants I'll ask for hot water (as if I'm ordering tea) and drop an Altoid in it. I have also just dropped my Altoid into water w/no ice which still works well. I'm also a huge fan of baths or body washes that have peppermint in them. I have some peppermint essential oil, too. There are many ways to use it, but many times when I ran out of tea, I put a drop or two in hot water. I also have a hot/cold pack that has mint in it that feels nice. I don't have a tea ball or tea strainer or teapot. so I don't use loose tea, but I have in the past. Peppermint is one of my faves and my GI tract thinks so too. So far I've been drinking two types by Traditional Medicinals; Eater's Digest and Peppermint. Both are really tasty and agreeable to my GI tract, and they are both available at the Fry's grocery store (Kroger's) I shop at most often, and reasonably priced in my opinion since the teas are more of a health and organic food and not just a typical tea. I have had both teas hot and cold and they taste great both ways. I also had in mind to try the Acacia Fiber as soon as I could afford it. For right now, I've been using Citrucel Clear mix which is probably the best OTC fiber supplement I've tried in a long time with safe ingredients. Of course, it does help if I remember to take it, lol! But when I do, I put it into smoothies. Anyhow, thanks again, Catnut for thinking of me. Take care all!

--------------------

#309146 - 06/15/07 04:25 PM
Sommer

Quote:

Hi,
Snacks, lil soy dreamers, baked tostitos, baked cheetos and smoothies.

Lene! You can handle baked Cheetos?! I'm hit and miss w/most dairy, including cheese products. Ya know, the worst thing about having IBS is that all the foods my GI tract hates, my taste buds love! I have found some nice substitutions, but the reality is, I really miss the "real" stuff. I would love it if I could handle even 1 cheese-type product made w/real cheese! How do you do it?

I also found Lil Dreamers, they are cute! Perfect size ice cream sandwich, I think. Sometimes the Safeway I shop at (I shop online when I can afford it) puts up a couple of soy ice cream products in their online grocery catalog and I was able to try the Vanilla flavor ice cream sandwiches. Yummy! Not too rich, but not too bland and I thought the texture of the soy ice cream reminded me a bit of the vanilla ice milk I used to eat (back before IBS). Some random person (not on this site and not an IBS sufferer) mentioned to me last month or something that Cheese Nips were safe; they said something about the cheese was either not real cheese or was way down on the ingredient list; *shrug* I haven't looked at a box of Cheese Nipz in a long time, too tempting! Anyone know of anything like this? One day I'll be brave enough to grab a box and read it, lol. So, Lene, how do you eat baked Cheetos? The baked part I can handle b/c of the lower fat, but I'm curious about the Cheetos part... Thanks!

--------------------

#309148 - 06/15/07 04:47 PM
Sommer

I know you weren't asking me, and my answers are quite belated, but oh well. Hope I can give you some ideas, anyway.

IF - insoluable fiber (just like SF is soluable fiber). IF is also called "roughage" and it keeps the GI tract in tip-top shape, but if you have IBS IF is a bit trickier. You have to use methods that jump-start the breakdown of the fiber before it gets to your gut so you still get the benefits of it w/less of the pain. The very first doc that told me I had IBS was just a regular family doc that didn't know me well, and whom I didn't know well. When he told me I needed more fiber, he didn't know that I needed to modify the way I ate fiber. Eating more fiber actually hurt me more b/c he didn't realize I needed to prepare it differently. That's why we're supposed to eat IF w/a SF base; example well-cooked veggies over white rice. Heather's books go into way more detail about IF and SF.

Smoothies, I love smoothies. I drink em whenever I get the hankering for one. They are especially nice now that the heat is on. :P My favorite blends include unsweetened frozen mixed berries (such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries), a container of Silk brand Live! soy yogurt either plain or strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, or peach flavor; Silk brand unsweetened soy milk, a chunked up ripe banana, a bit of honey to sweeten, and a scoop of Citrucel Clear mix. I also like a mix of the frozen mixed berries along w/pineapple chunks and some of the juice, and some Hershey's chocolate syrup (dairy-free), the unsweetened soy milk, and a bit of vanilla extract. Also fruit juice and frozen mixed berries with some honey makes for more of a slushy. Make sure the juice is tolerable to you. Cranberry or orange are my faves. But sometimes I can handle other flavors too. I haven't yet learned to hate when I can't always tolerate, lol! Regardless of how I make my smoothies, I always try to remember the Citrucel Clear Mix, it blends in well and doesn't affect the taste or texture. I've also blended just unsweetened soy milk w/frozen mixed berries and a bit of vanilla extract or unsweetened soy milk, vanilla extract, and some chunked up banana for a flavored milk that tastes good out of a glass or poured over cereal. HTH

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review