All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I need help with IBS-C input new
      #308537 - 06/04/07 03:58 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Start the acacia at 1/4 tsp instead of 1/2 teaspoon. For some 1/2 teaspoon is too much to start off with.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#308538 - 06/04/07 04:00 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Yes the Gas Stop should be in your HFS. If they don't carry Renewlife products, then you can always ask the manager to order it in, or check out other HFS.

#308563 - 06/04/07 09:02 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You're very welcome!! As I've mentioned before, it's taken me almost a year to get where I am, and I have everyone on this board (in addition to Heather) to thank for that!!

Just to be clear, acacia is a SOLUBLE fiber (SF) supplement. I, too, used to get really bad gas and bloating from other fiber supplements, but the acacia has worked wonders! As you increase the amount of acacia you use daily, you'll be able to decrease the amount of SF that you get from food, which will allow you to increase your IF without increasing calories. And yes, I drink TONS of water. It's really the only liquid I drink all day, other than rice milk. Good luck!! And I hope you find the Natural Calm. I tried to skip it last night, but discovered that I still need that 1 teaspoon every night in order to "go" first thing in the morning!!

Just curious: did you try the artichoke hummus yet?? Tomorrow I'll be finishing off a batch of the spiced sweet roasted red pepper hummus. And if you like things a little spicy, I find adding a dash of cayenne to the artichoke hummus is a perfect touch!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#308566 - 06/04/07 10:16 PM

Unregistered

As you increase the amount of acacia you use daily, you'll be able to decrease the amount of SF that you get from food, which will allow you to increase your IF without increasing calories-------------

I'm a little confused by the above statement so let me see if I understand, k? As I increase the acacia, I can eventually not have to have SF in my diet as much. Can you give me an example of what in my diet would be SF that I would decrease? And then you said I can increase IF and not gain calories, what foods are those type? This is all so foreign to me. Bare with me because although I read Heather's books, it's hard to fully understand everything as a newbie. I plan on reading more on the board and then reference the book again so I have a better feel for all this.

Another question that stopped me from taking the acacia, what makes it not react like the other SF?

I'm sorry that you skipping last nights NC caused a little set back. It's great though to know you have something that does work. I do plan mid week to go to the health store and hope they have it. If not I'll order it on line.

I can't have spicey things for another ailment I have, but I will try the hummus I think after I get a little acacia going. I don't want a bad tummy ache so thought I'd start with the NC and acacia on the same day.

#308579 - 06/05/07 08:01 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Hi-I am new to all this, too.

My understanding is that the SF foods like white rice, pasta, bread, oatmeal, etc. are in the same category at the SF supplements and the acacia powder. But these foods, of course, have starch (carbohydrates) calories, while the acacia powder doesn't really have calories.

We need the SF to stabilize, fill, and calm down our poor irritated intestines. For C, though, we need IF to get things moving along. So increasing SF with acacia (instead of SF foods) allows us to eat more insoluble fiber (from whole grains, vegetables, fruits), without adding extra calories.

I think of the SF foods and the acacia as the BUFFER that allows us to eat regular fiber food without getting our bellies all upset and cranky.

The "IBS-C Pro's" here always stress the point about "finding a balance" between soluble and insoluble fiber foods and supplements---that's the main idea that I'm working on.

Another thing I find, is that it takes awhile for my body to adjust to dietary changes. What worked for me last week sometimes doesn't work this week. For example, I was increasing the acacia powder, and it was working--but then I started to get constipated and bloated again. I thought this was caused by too much acacia----but then realized it was a sign that I should increase my IF. I was a bit scared to increase, but tried it anyway---eating a cooked vegetable and salad at lunch, another cooked vegetable at dinner, and a bit of fruit here and there.

Hope this helps.

C66

PS About hummus---I have never been able to tolerate it because of the loads of garlic in it (I'm sensitive to garlic and onions). To me, this food is positively "dangerous."

#308876 - 06/10/07 09:30 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Sorry I've been offline for awhile!!

I can try to explain by offering an example. Let's say I'm having veggie stir fry for dinner. As a newbie to the diet, I would eat mostly white rice and a small portion of veggies, with acacia mixed now. Now that I'm basically stable, I have exchanged most, if not all, of my white rice for brown. I have also increased the veggie portion and decreased the rice portion. Again, I mix in my acacia. As another example, when I eat veggie burgers, I have traded my white buns for whole wheat buns (or a "hybrid" bun: half white, half wheat, DH eats the other halves!).

Does that make sense? It's all about slowly changing the ratio of SF to IF as you are increase your acacia. I highly doubt you'll ever be able to ELIMINATE SF foods and rely solely on acacia, but you won't need as much with each meal.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#308878 - 06/10/07 10:01 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi, I am so sorry you did not get a response right away. This is not the norm for this board BELIEVE me!!!!

I am IBS-A (more C related). I take one cooking tablespoon of Acacia 3 x per day. That is the majority of my IF. I have oatmeal or oatmeal squares for breakfast for soluble and insoluble fiber. Lunch consists of vegetables, grilled or baked chicken with white rice. The vegetables are cooked very well done ( sort of mushy). My tummy can tolerate them much better that way. Sometimes I even puree my vegatables for easier digestion. Dinner is usually a bowl of oatmeal along with a V-8 juice and Motts unsweetened applesauce or an eggbeater omelet with bacos and sourdough toast.

I have Heather's CD, but have not had a chance to use any of the recipes. I have a hectic schedule!! Snacks, lil soy dreamers, baked tostitos, baked cheetos and smoothies.

I hope some of this information helps you, it did wonders for me.

PS I also take a stool softener in the AM and PM as well as one Natrol Biobead (Prebiotic Acidophilus Complex) with my first meal of the day. This Prebiotic contains 1 billion live cells and is very healthy for the digestive tract.

Please let us know of your progress and good luck!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#308880 - 06/10/07 10:12 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for responding. I know a while back when I used to post I got answers all the time, so did wonder what was up.:) Thanks for answering. I went out and got Natural Calm Mag. at the health food store so plan on trying that after my company next weekend. So you have your main protein meal in the afternoon and go lighter at night. I never thought of the bacos I used to eat them all the time in things. I live on the Motts unsweetened apple sauce.I even freeze it as a dessert on hot days. I got this Probotics called Bio-K with 30 billion which I will try again after company leaves next week. I would have gotten the liquid kind by same product, but the other things in it concerned me. I'll let you know how I do with all this and Acacia. I'm going to go very slow. Thanks so much!

#308881 - 06/10/07 10:16 PM

Unregistered

I got the Natural Calm and Flax Seed Meal the other day. I also got the probotic Bio-K 30 billion vrs the liquid which had more, but the stuff they added to it concerned me. The pill form is just what it says without fillers. I'll let you know when I start all this how I do. I have company coming in next week so don't want to try anything until I'm free for reactions. I'll keep you posted and thanks so much for all your input! The natural calm sounds amazing.

#308882 - 06/10/07 10:18 PM

Unregistered

Yes that does make sense and thanks for explaining it that way. I like the hybrid bun suggestion that can be applied to any type of food. This gives me hope. I'll let you know how I do! I'm going to start really slow.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review