All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Vegetarians - I need your help
      #307690 - 05/21/07 06:43 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I know there's a lot of vegetarians on this site. I am new to this eating program. Only 2 weeks. and I am finding myself getting very frustrated and overwhelmed by the changes in my diet. It all came to a head when I was out to dinner yesterday (not my choice, family obligation). I found out that their rice was made with chicken stock so I couldn't have that. My planned main staple of the meal. Ended up eating just black beans, onions and peppers and tortilla shells. Also ate more chips and salsa than planned because I was soooo hungry.

I haven't found a milk substitute that I like. I've tried several types of soy, rice and almond milk and only tolerate the chocolate almond milk. I desperate miss milk and cheese as those were a big part of my veggie diet. Since I'm so new, whenever I have anything off the SF area, I am having mild attacks. I feel so hungry and am actually craving meat which is freaking me out. I think it's the low protein.

Any advice you can offer me? It's clear that this new diet does work, but I can't handle going out and am starting to get worn out from the new diet. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegetarians - I need your help new
      #307698 - 05/21/07 08:31 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I have found a large variety of morning star farms meat substitutes that are really very tasty. Last night my DH and I tried their bacon (contains egg whites) and made BLT's (I skipped the L) and they were delish! I use soy products to substitute for dairy but many use rice or other subs. I hope you find something you can tolerate. The soy cheese is fine for cooking but not for eating (bummer)and tofu comes in many varieties. I bought vegan cookbooks and went on line for vegan recipes and have found a plethora of foods to eat. As far as eating out or with friends..I too have been places and eaten nothing, or very little. I usually eat a bowl of rice crispies with soy milk when I come home. If I can plan ahead, I take along little squares of sourdough bread in a ziplock in my purse, or even make a pbj (lite on the pb). Sometimes people don't understand and you just have to deal with it, and eat later. Good luck.

#307699 - 05/21/07 09:00 AM
IBSHell

Thanks. I appreciate the support. It can be so difficult explaining the IBS, never mind when you're veggie on top of it all. I should have brought some bread in my purse. That's a good idea for next time.

I'll try to look for more vegan products. Thanks for the recommendation on Morning Star. I think I've seen them in my grocery store. I got frustrated with the soy cheese I could find b/c they all listed some type of dairy product as well. Maybe I just need to go to a better store.

#307701 - 05/21/07 09:12 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,
I truly understand yout frustration! I too am a veggie, and it is VERY difficult to find alternatives. I actually do eat some chicken & turkey on occasion. I get very tired and that protein seems to help to combat that. I love Morningstar Farms veggie patty and their vegan burger. They are quick and easy and get something in your tummy when you are dying of hunger. I keep lots of homemade quick breads available on my counter (some of them are from Heather's cookbook). I use bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, dates, and oats in the breads so they are like a quick meal-in-one.

I drink Silk light and sometimes rice milk. If you are not used to soy, the taste does take a bit of getting used to. The plain is less soy-ish than the vanilla. I am not a cheese lover, so I don't miss that. Have you tried rice or soy cheese?

I don't know your reasons for being a veggie, but if you are a philosophical veg (like me), it is very difficult to eat any living animal. I only eat organic poultry that was raised on an old-fashioned farm (we know a farmer about an hour away that raises chickens). You might want to consider adding some chicken back to your diet just until you adjust better to Heather's eating plan. IBS sufferers have very limited diet choices, especially if you are a veggie, so you might want to eat your meals at home for a while.

I wish you luck!
MeiMei

#307702 - 05/21/07 09:14 AM
meimei

I think Tofutti makes a vegan soy cheese. No casein.

#307705 - 05/21/07 09:31 AM
IBSHell

I'll have to look for the tofutti. Thanks for the additional food recommendations. I am veggie for the same reasons. I can't stand the thought of eating an animal which is why craving meat now is freaking me out. I'm going to try the breads which are probably healthier and more filling than what I'm getting now. I'll give the plain Silk a try. I should really try cooking with tofu. I've had in at restaurants where it tasted wonderful and where it tasted horrible. And there's so many different kinds. Don't know where to start. But I truly appreciate the support. I feel terrible today (not as bad as I used to mind you), but still really yucky and tired. I'm going to head out to Wild Oats after work and see what I can find there. Even though they're expensive, I'm hoping they have a wider selection of things.

#307706 - 05/21/07 09:46 AM
meimei

I'm glad I could help. I am not a huge tofu fan, but I have a great recipe for Thai tofu (it is in the recope board). Do you gave a bread machine? I make a yummy oatmeal bread in it that I eat everyday. I toast it and put a little low-fat PB on it with some jelly (I use natural PB with the oil poured off). I also spread it with hummus. I add extra oats to my quick bread recipes, so I get more whole grain rather than just white flour.

I am having a bad day too. I drank half a cup of regular coffee with creamer in it yesterday. I got a little bit cocky with what my tummy can handle. It surely cannot handle coffee (I should have known better!).

Let me know if you want the bread or tofu recipe.
MeiMei

#307707 - 05/21/07 09:59 AM
IBSHell

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a bad day too. It's depressing how much we have to give up, especially when we already made the personal choice not to eat meat. Fortunately I never liked coffee, but I sure miss my soda. I would love the tofu receipe and the bread recipe. I was just on that board searching and it's a bit difficult finding recipes. I don't have a bread machine but I have a large food processor with a dough blade that I've used to make bread before. Thanks so much. I don't feel quite so alone today.

#307710 - 05/21/07 10:33 AM
meimei

It is so nice to have someone to share the "joys" of IBS with! I know what you mean about the soda. Sometimes I do drink a big diet coke from McDonalds, but I always get bloated by that evening. I LOVE diet coke! I make decaf chai tea and use sugar and Silk soymilk creamer in it, and it has really relpaced that am cup of coffee.

Here is the oatmeal bread recipe. I just finished having a piece with pb and fluff!

OATMEAL BREAD

Add the following ingred's to your bread machine bowl, in order:
1/2 c. warm water
3/4 c. warm soymilk (I use light)
1 Tbl. oil (canola)
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. brown sugar (I use dark)
1 tsp. salt
3 c. white flour
1 c. quick oats
4 tsp. yeast

Set machine to Specialty cycle.

I know you said you didn't have a bread machine, but you may want to get one. I LOVE mine! I make breads and pizza dough in it all the time! You can find them at resale shops in almost new condition. I just bought another one for $6!

I will be sure to get the tofu recipe to you soon.
MeiMei

#307715 - 05/21/07 10:41 AM
meimei

Hi again!

Check the recipe board again. I brought the Thai Tofu Curry recipe to the beginning.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1561 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review