All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Portion Size
      #307565 - 05/18/07 06:23 PM
time

Reged: 01/20/07

Hello! I just wanted to see if any of you have had success with limited portion sizes. It seems the bigger the meal for me..even if it is 100% ibs safe...is worse for bloating and gas. Is this just part of my imagination? What is your story and any suggestions?
time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Portion Size new
      #307566 - 05/18/07 06:55 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Well, you've got it right. Small portion size is key to helping your body digest and giving it time that it needs so it doesn't retaliate. That is my problem...whenever I make a "safe" delicious recipe, it is too delicious so I eat way too much of it (ie, safe brownies). Then of course I don't feel well afterwards. The only suggestion here is to eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and also make sure you have protein to keep you feeling fuller (suggested to me recently). Also remember to eat slowly and "savor" your meals and be careful about drinking and imbibing too much air while you eat.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#307578 - 05/18/07 09:54 PM
time

Reged: 01/20/07

Thank you soooo much...the protein is great. I didn't even think of that and fight fatigue a lot...thank you so much again. I really appreciate it!
time

#307583 - 05/19/07 08:47 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I definitely feel better if I eat small portions frequently. I try to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and mid-evening, but it doesn't always work out that way, especially at weekends, when I don't have the same routine. I know that I don't feel too good if I get too hungry, then I end up eating too much and feel worse with pain, gas etc. Also, like line415, I have little willpower if I am eating a 'safe' yummy food! I am underweight and struggle to maintain the weight that I am, so it's really annoying having to limit portions - but I try - most of the time.

#307586 - 05/19/07 09:29 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I like the idea of protein with each meal to feel fuller/more satisfied. Sometimes, even when I have had enough quantity of food there is still that lingering feeling of not being satisfied. I think it is due to the ultra-low fat eating plan. What type of protein do you eat daily. I am pretty much a vegetarian, so it might be difficult to find low-fat proteins. Any ideas?

#307631 - 05/20/07 08:31 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I haven't gotten too creative with protein yet. Just mainly turkey or chicken, sometimes tuna, and sometimes peanut butter.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#307634 - 05/20/07 08:44 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

I like the idea of protein with each meal to feel fuller/more satisfied. Sometimes, even when I have had enough quantity of food there is still that lingering feeling of not being satisfied. I think it is due to the ultra-low fat eating plan. What type of protein do you eat daily. I am pretty much a vegetarian, so it might be difficult to find low-fat proteins. Any ideas?

If you're not vegan, egg whites... I eat them 2-3 times a week.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: Protein with meals and snacks new
      #307647 - 05/20/07 01:35 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

I'm trying to eat a little protein with every meal and snack, but I'm having trouble finding protein foods to go with them. What types of protein foods to you eat with your meals and snacks? Do you use a protein powder in smoothies? and if so what type. All I can find is a whey powder and that does not agree with my tummy. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks shannon

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Portion Size- Keeping it small.. new
      #307653 - 05/20/07 02:11 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I just wanted to add my thoughts with portions. Having finally gotten my system reasonably under control, there is no question but keeping to many smaller portions is a must.
Spreading out the smaller meals through the day/evening allows the digestive tract to remain stable and not suddenly overwhelmed. I would recommend doing this even after getting back to whatever 'normal' is for you..Virag:)

#307654 - 05/20/07 02:31 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I'm not a huge egg white fan, but I will try it. I use egg whites in my homemade breads, but I never eat them alone. How do you cook them?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review