All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Making Soy Yogurt
      #307552 - 05/18/07 12:45 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I just bought a machine that can make sorbet, icecream and yogurt. Any tips on making yogurt?

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Making Soy Yogurt new
      #307584 - 05/19/07 09:02 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I make my own soy yogurt. I posted what I do on another thread yesterday, but to recap...I have an electric yogurt maker. I follow the manufacturer's instructions (it actually mentions using soy yogurt as an alternative to dairy yogurt). It is important to use plain, LIVE, soy yogurt and plain soy milk. I use Sojasun soy yogurt as my starter - the ingredients are water, whole soy beans, and selected live cultures of Bifidus and Acidophilus. I order this every fortnight from my HFS, so that the starter I use is fresh. I make my yogurt overnight - it takes eight hours in this machine. I find that the texture and taste varies according to how much starter I use and which brand of soy milk.

I am now on my third machine, having worn out my first two with continuous use! I have been making soy yogurt this way for about 6 years, and like to have a constant supply. Hope you have success with your machine - let us know how it turns out.

Re: to Rio about Making Soy Yogurt new
      #307604 - 05/19/07 05:46 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Thanks for the information. I'll try it and see if it works out. Finding plain soy yogurt maybe my problem. So far I haven't seen any. I'll try my HFS and see what they have the regular grocery stores only have the flavored kind. I miss having yogurt for breakfast or a snack.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#307641 - 05/20/07 08:59 AM
Rio

I have a regular fortnightly order of Sojasun at my local independent HFS. I have only ever seen it once on general sale in a little HFS tucked away in a nearby seaside town! All the soy yogurts on general sale have fruit or other flavourings in them. I suggest that you either try searching online for a suitable brand and asking your local HFS is they could order it, or asking them if they could look one up for you. It's worth pursuing. I love my yogurt and eat it several times a day. It really satisfies my craving for something creamy with fruit, cereals etc.

Hope you have success!

#307733 - 05/21/07 01:18 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

I've tried making soy yogurt with extremely disappointing results. Admittedly, I think my starter died. BUT: Do you add any gelatin, cornstarch or other to the mix to keep it from being runny, or does the yogurt set up on its own?

Thanks!

#307780 - 05/22/07 08:26 AM
Rio

Hi Emily! No, I don't use any gelatin etc, just plain soy yogurt starter and plain soy milk. It does depend on the quality of the starter - I've had disappointing results when it didn't set at all, tried again with a yogurt bought at the same time, so probably same batch, and the same thing happened. I think that sometimes there are not enough live cultures to get it going. But this hasn't happened often.

I buy 3 pots of fresh soy yogurt every fortnight from the HFS. I use some as a starter, then use the resulting yogurt as starter. I do this about twice/three times. Then, I use more fresh bought yogurt as a starter, and repeat the process. I have found that if you don't renew the starter every two or three times you make yogurt, the yogurt gets separated and watery and doesn't taste as good.

Do you use an electric yogurt maker? I use one that heats up to just the right temperature and takes eight hours to produce the yogurt. Even though the yogurt maker is insulated, I have found that the yogurt is too runny or doesn't set well if the air temperature is low. In the winter, I wrap the yogurt maker in a small towel for extra insulation. Likewise, in the summer, if the air temperature is high, the yogurt can be too thick and lumpy, so I put the yogurt maker in a cool place.

I hope you have success next time you try

#308026 - 05/26/07 07:15 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Wonderful advice! Thanks...Now I'm all eager to try again. I do use an electric yogurt maker, so it was always frustrating when something so "foolproof" had me flummoxed.

But armed with your tips, I feel much more competent. ;o)

#308039 - 05/27/07 11:47 AM
Rio

Please let me know if it works this time

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1191

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review