All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Periods of being "normal"
      #307402 - 05/16/07 10:10 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

I was wondering if anybody ever goes through extended periods(weeks/months) being practically normal.

Its wierd but over my 15 years of IBS-D, i have had periods that lasted even up to 5 months where i would be totally normal. I mean eating ice cream, drinking coffee, eating desserts, the works without getting attacks.
Dont get me wrong, this only happened a handful of times in 15 years.
The ironic thing about it all is that i had these periods of normality when i was living away from home.
Once in New Jersey (6 months)
Once in Philadelphia (1 year)
Once in Toronto (6 months)

I also had a 6 month period of being normal when i was taking Paxil.

I find it very strange that i do better when living away from home(Montreal)
I wonder if there is a psychological explanation for this?

Anyway, i was just wondering if anybody else has gone through normal periods that lasted so long.

MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh yeah... new
      #307409 - 05/16/07 11:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had IBS for about 20 years... I've gone through many periods of "normal", when I wasn't watching my diet, most of which lasted around 1-2 years. I've never noticed any correlation to any other life happenings, though - sometimes I've been in my home state but sometimes not, sometimes I've been very stressed out and sometimes not, etc. These "good spells" were usually followed by at least a year of solid IBS flare.

Now that I'm on the diet, and sticking with it, I'll be interested to see if my "good spells" and "bad spells" alternate like they always used to. So far, I've been "good" for 2 years, with no signs of a relapse, so I'm hopeful - my "bad spells" got progressively worse each time, so I'm MORE than happy to give up the dairy/coffee/etc so-called normal in exchange for not being as sick as I was a few years ago!

Re: Periods of being "normal" new
      #307412 - 05/16/07 12:10 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Unfortunately, no.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Oh yeah... new
      #307424 - 05/16/07 02:03 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm pretty much like Casey: periods of eating whatever the heck I liked alternated with periods of various IBS symptoms, and the IBS times were starting to get worse. (Or, alternatively, I was getting sick and tired of them and that's why they seemed so bad.)

I've been on Heather's diet for over 5 years, and did hypno 3 years ago. In the past 5 years, I've had some bad spells, but the severity was way down from previously and they only lasted a week or two instead of a year or two. The frequency and severity of the bad spells has been declining over time as well.

--AC

Re: Oh yeah... new
      #307442 - 05/16/07 05:47 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Sort of....but never more than weeks at a time. My anxiety and stress play a huge role in my IBS so even though I have the physical symptoms (microscopic colitis too), I almost always feel 10 times better when I'm not under stress and in the comfort of my own home (eating what I want). But now like Atomic Rose said, I'd rather sacrifice and be good dietary wise even when I am home and in a safe zone b/c I don't want to relapse and be nervous of the physical symptoms when I'm out. It is probable that your environment plays a role in your IBS too based on what you have said. But regardless, it doesn't go away, so I would just try to stabalize and know that you will feel good no matter where (literally and figuratively) life takes you.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Periods of being "normal" new
      #307878 - 05/23/07 01:17 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Absolutely! I've had two experience in the last 5 years where I've had one nice BM every day for 6 months or so. I actually got used to going out any time I wanted and not worrying!
I cannot figure out what I did to make it happen or else I'd be making it happen all the time!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review