Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Triphala and Regularity Guard & Zelnorm withdrawal
      #307351 - 05/15/07 04:10 PM
mdurante

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Hey everyone.
I just got home from my acupuntrist (sp). She recommended me to try the combination of:

1. Triphala (indian remedy for bowels) twice a day, regularity guard (fiber) 1 scoop twice a day,

2.Colace (1 twice a day),

3. 6 to 8 oz glasses of water per day,

4. and probotics.

I am coming off zelnorm, and I am looking for other methods to try to relieve my irritable bowel syndrome conspiation. Has anyone tried Triphala or Regularity guard? I looked Triphala up online, and apparently it is quite a popular remedy for people with chronic conspiation, along with other health problems.

I have been on zelnorm for nearly 2 years. It worked GREAT & Miracle from above for me. So I was really dissapointed when it was taken off the market. I avoid oats, bananas, and apples because they make me conspiatated. I did Heather's diet for nearly 2 years. I peel all of my fruits and veggies, and I tolerate wheat bread pretty well. Especially Amy's Whole Wheat Pizza (it helps if I'm just stuck) I find rice and white bread sits in my stomach like a brick. With Zelnorm, I was able to not need to drink as much fluids as I would have needed to drink with fiber, like acaia. Anyway, Heather's diet is pretty effective, as long as I remove oats, apples,and bananas (which are trigger foods for my conspiation). I find acupuncture very helpful for bloating and abomonical pain. I make it a point go every month or so. Also, I do yoga.

My gastronologist recommeneded me to take Miralax everyday to come off Zelnorm. I took that for a few months before going on zelnorm, I hated the knot that grew in my left Abomonial area which caused painful bloating. I also tried Acaia before for a few months, I found the large stools and long time to poop terrifying with Acaia. Acaia did help with my bloating an pain though.

I am terrified coming off Zelnorm. Zelnorm was a blessing for me. I was able to finish most of my schooling. I am a 23-year old college student for psychology. I am nearly done! Off to graduate school really soon. In case any one is interested, I am deaf and I communicate via sign language. Also, I have Ehler's Danlos syndrome, which is pretty much auto-immune with joints and blood vessels. Growing up, I had Junvielle Rhematoid arhrtitis and I did not have IBS or experienced any conspiation, in fact I would go to the bathroom like clockwork 30 to 40 mins after I ate and could eat LOTS! I began to expereince conspiation after going on oxycotin due to a back injury to my L4-L5 spine and arhritis for nearly 2 years struggling to finish my physical therapy. I'm done with physical therapy (18 months of it. Yay! Now my back is healed. At first, I thought the conspiation was due to oxycotin.. to make a long story short I quit oxycotinin becuase I thought the conpsiation was from it. My chronic conspiation has not quit after 3 years of being off oxycotin. Apparently, I always had IBS, but the condition was excuertated and triggered by narotics. Looking back before oxycotinin, I always had bloating, and abomonial pain. My grandfather, great grandmother, and aunt all have IBS. So it must be genetic. Sighs, only if I had known.. but I could barely walk with the back pain.. it was absolute neccesary to do physical therapy.

After such a long message: I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share their experiences with Triphala, regularity guard fiber, or Miralax.

--------------------
Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Conspiation Dominated.
"To thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triphala and Regularity Guard & Zelnorm withdrawal new
      #307384 - 05/15/07 10:54 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.

I have used Triphala--for a couple of years before switching to different fibers and acacia. The only problem I had was that I couldn't find a product that didn't also have psyllium in it, too. And the psyllium irritated my intestines.

I now use Triple Fiber (Renew Life brand) for my IF supplement (has oat, bran, and acacia in it), and I take additional acacia, too.

Narcotic pain killers really cause terrible C. My daughter is a nurse in a hospital, and says all the patients take Colace, and lots of it, to stave of the side effects of pain meds.

I tried Colace, too. One pill twice a day seemed very conservative--I don't think my body even noticed it. I experimented around with 2 at bedtime for a week or so, instead of one, but even that wasn't real radical.

On the other hand, my older sister claimed that she got "addicted" to Colace, and couldn't "go" without it.

C

#307414 - 05/16/07 12:17 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you still use triphala?

Do you use the powder or the capsules? And how much? Is this safe for long term use?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#307431 - 05/16/07 03:47 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Right now I'm not using Triphala (powder, not capsules) because the stuff I have on hand has psyllium in it. I had
been using "Tri-Cleanse" (Planetary Formulas) or "Rejuve Powder" (Gaia Herbs). Hard to say exactly how much I was taking because the powders are blends of ingredients, and even the triphala had different names.

For example,

Tri-Cleanse has:
Triphala Compound (fruits of Belleric Myrobalan, Amla & Chebulic Myrobalan).

Rejuve Powder has:
Triphala Powder Extract ("wildcrafted Ayurvedic herb extract blend consisting of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia bellerica, Terminalia chebula").

I have no idea if it's safe for long term use. But I think it has a long history of use in India, and I had positive results from it. You can Google the ingredients to find out more--I don't really know that much.

It is listed on the label as a "cleanser"---supposedly "strengthening digestion." It is usually blended with fiber supplement ingredients, but is also available by itself.

C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1098 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1408

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review