All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Been going nuts with veggies - but no C relief?!
      #307164 - 05/14/07 01:52 AM
mmasseychase

Reged: 03/18/07
Loc: Western Australia

So my IBS symptoms are SO much milder than a lot of other ppl's on here - I very rarely get gas or bloating and only ever get period-pain like cramps straight after breakfast before having a BM.

I have been going gangbusters on the veggies for at least 2 or 3 weeks now - doing a lot of veg casseroles, lots of steamed veggies, even fruit smoothies - but nothing seems to be improving my C. I usually have at least 1, sometimes 2 BM's a day but always like little pellets or rabbit poos!

So far I have been tolerating (cooked): tomatoes, red peppers, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, potato, yellow squash, carrots, celery, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini and small amounts of salads (ie. lettuce, cucumber, raw tomato in sandwiches etc). I use frozen berries, sorbet, OJ & bananas in my smoothies and only eat white bread, chicken and fish.

I can't think what else I can add in terms of IF to get things moving more. Any ideas?!?!

--------------------
What doesn't kill you makes only makes you stronger; I just hope this doesn't actually kill me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Been going nuts with veggies - but no C relief?! new
      #307166 - 05/14/07 03:53 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would try adding in seeds, nuts and grains. Some ideas are flax seeds, sesame seeds, nuts, barley, quinoa, brown rice. Eating lots of veggies is great but maybe getting a variety of IF sources will help. Also, drink lots of water and exercise.

Do you take a SF supplement?

--------------------
Kat

#307188 - 05/14/07 08:30 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I started to get C relief when I added SF acacia 1/2 TABLEspoon in plain water taken with my mid-day meal (I already take 1/2 TBS morning). Then I also started taking my evening dose earlier at 7-8 pm instead of at bedtime (I sometimes stay up really late).

I think spreading out the fiber doses during the day keeps my bowels a bit more full and probably helps hydrate the waste in there.

I have no idea if this would have any effect for you.

C

#307193 - 05/14/07 08:46 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I take Miralax every morning and then Citracel for extra fiber twice a day; after breakfast and after dinner. Are you taking anything? I find that too many veggies can be gassy and sometimes binding.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#307207 - 05/14/07 09:45 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

IF alone is very constipating if you're IBS-C! I've experimented with cutting down on my SF in a misguided effort to "get things moving", and less SF = more constipation and cramping.

If you're getting IF in every meal, make sure you're getting SF in every meal as well. I take about 2.5 tablespoons of acacia a day. If you're getting both in every meal in quantities that seem reasonable, then it's probably time to look at fluids (drink lots), exercise (aim for daily - vigorous sweaty exercise helps more), and stress control (hypno, yoga, etc.).

--AC

#307239 - 05/14/07 03:36 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

In a previous post, I think you said you ate dairy. Is it possible that is causing you to be C?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review