All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: splenda and carbonated drinks new
      #307364 - 05/15/07 05:08 PM
EmilyM

Reged: 05/13/07
Loc: Chicago, IL

Ooh I saw that kind in the store today and almost bought it. Sounds kind of summer-y. I never thought of making it cold!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#307404 - 05/16/07 10:14 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Heather has a tea drink recipe in EFI, so I assume it's ok to drink.

natural sweeteners. new
      #307408 - 05/16/07 11:31 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Never said it was artifical.

More reading below.

http://healing.about.com/cs/uc_directory/a/uc_stevia_jones.htm

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#307425 - 05/16/07 02:12 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

My husband has diabetes (type II, diagnosed 2 years ago), and I think he eats more sugar than Splenda. He's found that if he gets enough fruits and vegetables and protein, then the occasional sugary treat really doesn't bother his blood sugar. (Note that baked potatoes, for instance, will drive up your blood sugar more than table sugar will!) He keeps his A1C under 6 while still having ice cream once a week when it's warm....

The only way to find out whether sugar substitutes are contributing to your IBS is to skip them for a week or so. You'll know pretty quickly - I thought I could tolerate dairy until I cut that out for a week and lost half my bloating and nausea!

--AC

Re: Try other natural sweeteners. new
      #307452 - 05/16/07 06:31 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey, I use stevia in my tea, it it works well. It's really sweet, though, so one small packet (the size of a sugar packet) usually lasts me 4 cups. I found it in packets at Whole Foods. You have to look in the vitamin and supplement section. They usually have sales associates floating around who can help you (trust me, I've asked them quite a few myself after wandering around the aisles aimlessly, hehe). Good luck in finding it!

Julie

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#307456 - 05/16/07 08:05 PM
EmilyM

Thanks - I am feeling better but it's hard to know exactly why because I cut out so many things at once. Still, I'd prefer this to being sick!

#307457 - 05/16/07 08:06 PM
EmilyM

Duh! I didn't even think to look there!

#307490 - 05/17/07 03:22 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

No worries, like I said, it took me a bit to figure it out. Luckily if you wander around enough one of the sales associates usually notices and takes pity on you and asks you what you are looking for, hehe.

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#307637 - 05/20/07 08:50 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

Is Stevia "safe" for IBS? I was reading that it was banned by the EU and Canada due to its questionable toxicity and that worried me...

There are some political agendas driving the objections to Stevia; also, it is IMO dreadfully expensive. The best thing, would be to do the research and make an informed decision.

Personally, I am able to use Splenda with no problems. You might consider eliminating it for a few weeks and then adding it back in to see if it is a problem for you. Good luck!

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review