All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatmeal question
      #307131 - 05/13/07 03:04 PM
EmilyM

Reged: 05/13/07
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm confused as to why oatmeal is on the SF list. I looked at my box and it listed 3g fiber, 0g SF. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatmeal questoin new
      #307135 - 05/13/07 03:15 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

It varies, so I always check. I've bought plain instant oatmeal that has all SF, no IF. The type I am eating now (every morning) is The Quaker Quick Oats brand (in the canister) and it has 2g of SF and 2g of IF, so there is a nice balance for me. This is one way I can sneak in some IF.

Hope that helps!

Fibre new
      #307139 - 05/13/07 03:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Usually the information on the package frequently only gives the total amount of dietary fibre.

There are three type of dietary fibre: IF (insoluble), SF (soluble fibre) and RS (resistant starches). Frequently the package does not give the amount of IF and SF and it never gives the amount of RS. For example, the bag of Robin Hood larage flake oatmeal that I have says it contains 4 grams of fibre per 1/3 cup (40 grams). It does not tell me how much IF, SF or RS it contains.

Other reliable sources tell us that generally speaking oatmeal has about equal amounts of SF and IF. Also they tell us it contains a fairly high amount of RS. RS is a type of dietary fibre that in our body acts like SF. So overall, oatmeal tends to contain more SF like dietary fibre that IF like dietary fibre.

Oatmeal is a food you have to experiment with to see how well you can tolerate. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Fibre new
      #307180 - 05/14/07 07:41 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I have found a great oatmeal, but don't know if it's available everywhere. It's quaker, instant, Take Heart, It has 1 g IS and 4 g SF. I've had it everyday for the last week, since I just started this new program and it's the only thing that's a true comfort food for me and really helps me feel full. You should try to find it.

Re: Fibre new
      #307187 - 05/14/07 08:27 AM
EmilyM

I think I've seen that brand in the grocery store - I'll have to pick some up today. It didn't occur to me to compare different brands/types of oatmeal, I assumed they were all the same thing. Thanks for the recommendation!

Interesting but ... new
      #307194 - 05/14/07 08:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This is an interesting product.

If you read the wording of the information for the Golden Maple product you will see it says "Each serving of Take Heart has 1.5g of soluble fiber from oats" yet on the package it says each serving contains 4 grams of SF. The additional 2.5 grams of SF come from maltodextrin - a carbohydrate made from corn or potato - which is added to the cereal.

Unfortunately, this product and the blueberry version of it also contains sucralose and other undesirable additives.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: oatmeal question new
      #307202 - 05/14/07 09:27 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Is it possible that "0 SF" on the box referred to 0 grams of saturated fat? I only ask this because the amount of Soluble Fibre is rarely indicated on packaging.

I am a big fan of Bob's Red Mill Organic Scottish Oats. It contains 4 g of fibre per serving. I'm not sure how that breaks down in terms of SF/IF, but the others who've posted here are right in saying that oatmeal generally has a good balance of both.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#307204 - 05/14/07 09:31 AM
EmilyM

It lists "dietary fiber: 3g" and under that, "soluble fiber: 1g"

Re: oatmeal questoin new
      #307205 - 05/14/07 09:39 AM
Cinsue

Reged: 04/25/07
Loc: Tustin, Ca.

I have a frozen steel cut oatmeal I purchase at Trader Joe's. I can't think of the brand-I love it, but don't know if it's gonna be hard on my tummy. Anyone familiar with this item, or have any input?

--------------------
Cindy Sue

#307293 - 05/15/07 02:18 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I use a brand called Mothers Natural. They make an oatmeal that has equal parts of SF and IF. It is very easy on the stomach

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1979 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1404

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review