All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What's the deal with restaurants?
      #307044 - 05/11/07 08:57 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Hi,
I am IBS-D, i RARELY have pains that wake me during sleep, however, the very few times a year that it does happen is ALWAYS when i eat out at Restaurants.
I just dont get it. I order the exact same things that i make for myself at home that i know are safe and when i eat them at restaurants i get violently ill. The pain is unbearable. It seems like restaurants put some secret ingredient in their food which triggers my IBS...even if its a plain as grilled Salmon.
Does anybody have these issues as well?
thanks
mybellyhurts

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the deal with restaurants? new
      #307046 - 05/11/07 09:04 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I always have problems with restaurant food. Several theories: 1) they put in some "stealth" ingredients that end up being triggers; 2) there's more fat in restaurant meals than we realize... or 3) restaurants have a lots of people going through there all the time... germs.

As I understand it, awakening with pain is not typical for IBS.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#307047 - 05/11/07 09:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are many species of salmon. Some species are high in fat. For example, Atlantic salmon has about 11% fat, Chum salmon is about 4% and Coho about 7%.

Is it possible that you prepare a low fat salmon at home but in the restaurant they use a high fat salmon?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#307048 - 05/11/07 09:22 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Quote:

I always have problems with restaurant food. Several theories: 1) they put in some "stealth" ingredients that end up being triggers; 2) there's more fat in restaurant meals than we realize... or 3) restaurants have a lots of people going through there all the time... germs.

As I understand it, awakening with pain is not typical for IBS.

Yes, i beleieve that there is a "stealth" ingredient that we don't know about.

Yes, i have read that awakening with pain is not typical for IBS but i have had all the tests done and been diagnosed by two different doctors with having IBS. The fact that it happens maybe 2-3 times per year, usually after a restaurant meal, leads me to believe that its possible even for a IBS sufferer to occasionally awake due to pains.
mybellyhurts

#307051 - 05/11/07 10:08 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

For me, it's the extra fat and the huge portion sizes that cause trouble. I'm not sure about non-standard ingredients. What could they be? MSG? Restaurants may use rancid ingredients. I know that garlic and onion powder go bad--and they use lots of that.

My family has an in-joke about restaurant food. We say, "Do you think they put Fart Powder in it?"

Maybe it's just the increased tension around sitting in a noisy place, making menu decisions (eek!), waiting, eating too fast, etc.

C

#307129 - 05/13/07 02:09 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

My cousin is a professional chef and frequantly cooks the meal when we hav family gatherings. I have watched him cook, especially since my younger son was diagnosed with milk allergy. He puts butter or olive oil in EVERYTHING, even things you wouldn't normally add them to. He also uses huge amounts. One of the reasons why is that he claims non-stick pans don't cook as evenly, so old fashioned iron skillets and other not non-stick pans and pots are used in "fine restaurants". When you don't use non-stick, you really need alot more oil. They also do things like pour on a ton of olive oil to freshly drained pasta to keep it from sticking. At home, you can go without because you serve it right away. Same thing with plain, steamed rice. They add a big hunk of butter to it after it's finished cooking. There are many things to watch out for.

#307141 - 05/13/07 04:44 PM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

What else would cause one to awake with pain if not for something eaten?

Thanks.

Rosanne

#307142 - 05/13/07 06:23 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I know exactly what you mean about restaurants! I have such a love/hate relationship with them. I love to not have to cook; but I hate the way I frequently feel after eating there! I have only a couple places where I feel comfortable eating...Subway (veggie sub) or Panera Bread (chicken noodle soup in a bread bowl). There are VERY few menu items at most restaurants for us (IBS'ers) to eat! At times I have ordered a plain baked potato and bread...it's not fun, but at least I won't be in pain.

I always start out my restaurant meal with a hot cup of decaf tea (I bring my own bags just in case they don't have decaf). I take Bentel and two Beano tabs before my first bite. It's hard because I have three young boys and a husband who can eat anything (except my oldest son), and they never get a tummy ache. I think the restaurants use lots of preservatives and chemicals to keep the food fresh, or at least looking fresh. MSG and butter are probably in everything!

Take care! MeiMei

#307144 - 05/13/07 06:32 PM
EmilyM

Reged: 05/13/07
Loc: Chicago, IL

I think it's probably oil/butter. I had spaghetti marinara from the cafe in the law school for lunch a few days ago, and when I was finished I noticed the plate had tons of grease on it. That would never happen at home. Needless to say, I didn't feel so good afterwards.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1813

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review