All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Boo Hoo
      #306935 - 05/09/07 06:46 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I'm going to have to go back to the BTC diet. I've been sick three days already this week and it's only Wednesday night! I can link it to things that I've eaten bc I got lazy! It's just not worth it most times. Today I had the smallest piece of cake at our Teacher Appreciation Dinner after I had eated a relatively safe meal. NO GO. Well - I did go way too much (hahaha). Anyways - when you guys go BTC what are your faves that are the least damaging to your sensitive bellies? I've got to get myself straightened out. I'm teaching Summer School (16 days of 2-2.5 hr shifts trapped in a room full of middle schoolers) and I'm going on a cruise in July. What do you recommend? I need a pep talk. I'm depressed - I just want to feel better like normal people!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Boo Hoo bump please help new
      #306949 - 05/10/07 04:46 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Re: Boo Hoo new
      #306992 - 05/10/07 04:10 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I know you've heard this before, but YOU CAN'T CHEAT!!! The diet won't work unless you cut out ALL triggers. That means not even the tiniest bite of cake or sip of diet sprite while you are trying to stabilize. I know it's hard; we've all been through it. But the reward of not getting sick every day will make it all worthwhile!!

Go back to the BTC diet for a day or two, and then start adding in your IF! If you are depressed (and I think you've mentioned depression/anxiety in previous posts) you REALLY need to talk to your doctor about some meds to help you with that. You've got to get that under control before you can expect your IBS to get under control. It's all related!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Boo Hoo new
      #307001 - 05/10/07 05:49 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I know it's sooo hard. It sounds like you really need to stock up your house with IBS safe foods so that you won't be able to cheat. I know for me I am terrible when the real stuff is "around." For example, I had the first set back in many many months yesterday/today b/c I think I just started getting too comfortable trying a little of this and a little of that (the real stuff) which was sitting right in front of me at home. I have awful willpower and b/c I am much more stable, I guess I got kind of cocky like "oh maybe I'm normal." Then my body said, "Hey...don't forget and overdo it or I will retaliate." I didn't get d, just a few looser bms and then anxiety to go with it.

I'm actually glad that this happened to me b/c it is an eye opener that I HAVE TO be diligent and if I am going to have a smidgen of something, it has to be few and far between. Besides the physical piece, which wasn't even bad relatively speaking, it's the anxiety that I don't want to drudge up again. If I eat safe, then I know I'll be fine. That's the point that you want to get yourself to.

With that said, remember that I have been consistently on this diet since Sept/Oct whereas you have not had as many consistent months and each time you have a bite of a trigger, you are holding yourself back from stability.

My suggestions are:

The food you have at home should be easy on your will...make sure DH is supportive and doesn't request too many non-ibs things for the pantry that you'll be tempted to eat.

Try to avoid restaurants for at least a little while if possible b/c it is quite difficult to figure out what to order that is safe.

As for situations like the teacher's party, well, you can keep some safe sweet treats in your purse or desk for times like that or just say no thank you and then don't dwell on it....start a conversation with someone, leave the room for awhile, go get a glass of ice water, etc....anything to keep yourself from feeling down and focusing on the stupid piece of cake! I know that if I sit and watch someone eating something that I can't have, I am like a drooling dog...it's ridiculous ...it's best to just distract yourself and before you know it the party will be over and you can go home and treat yourself to a delicious ibs food that you like. You'll also feel proud and you'll also feel great physically.

Hang in there...and THROW THE SPRITE AWAY! Can you replace it with something safe that you can turn to when the urge hits? I'm sorry...I can't think of any more suggestions except to make a full-fledge decision now that you are going to go at this thing full force. It will all be worth it in the end...especially when you have so many busy and exciting things coming up this summer. You want to enjoy them, not fear them.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Boo Hoo bump please help new
      #307018 - 05/10/07 09:30 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm IBS-D and having a setback too, so I know how you feel. I'm going back to the BTC diet, and for me what works well is oatmeal with rice milk, pretzels, steamed white rice, miso soup, plain toasted bagels, maybe some egg noodes cooked in non-fat broth, applesauce, banana, mint water, peppermint tea. Eat slowly. Rest. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1091

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review