All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what to do about conflicting diets?
      #306654 - 05/06/07 12:32 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I know my tummy is happy on the IBS diet, but my general doctor says that "white foods" (white bread, white flour pasta, ect) is bad for cholesterol, says it's what's aggrevating my joint pain, bad for blood sugar, ect. I agree that I had less joint pain last summer, but I also spent all my time in the bathroom. What do you do when the IBS diet affects other areas of your health?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what to do about conflicting diets? new
      #306659 - 05/06/07 02:45 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

If you and your MD are worried about your cholesterol and sugar levels, then have your MD check them after you have been on the diet for awhile. If you are eating very little fat and no red meat per the IBS diet, then I don't see how white bread is going to raise your cholesterol. Just make sure you are adding fruits and veggies slowly and to your tolerance, because you need them to stay healthy.

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 16 years, and was diagnosed with IBS in Feb. I haven't noticed any change in my joint pain, but I am careful to exercise at least 4 times a week (both cardio and strength training).

Hope that helps!

#306695 - 05/07/07 05:34 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Thanks for the info on your RA. That's what he suspects and has recommeded a rheumatologist. There's so much info online about a connection between RA and refined wheat products.

#306707 - 05/07/07 09:10 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, you don't *have* to eat white bread and pasta on the IBS diet - I know that there are folks with both diabetes and IBS (not to mention folks with celiac!) who have to find substitutes.

So...consider some foods that are high in soluble fiber but not refined wheat products: mangos, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, barley, etc. Looking at conversations about celiac disease and diabetes might give you some other ideas.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1684 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 962

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review