All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
So how do you all do it everyday?????
      #306572 - 05/04/07 06:48 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I was just wondering how you all do it everyday! I am so tired of rice pasta and pots at every meal. Alot of you on here say you eat all the time. I would love to hear some suggestions I find it very hard to fine differant things to fix everyday PLUS snacks to go with it. If anyone has ANY advice please send it my way!
I am so sick of potatoes!
Emmasmom
ibs-c
gas gas gas

Edited by emmasmom (05/04/07 06:49 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So how do you all do it everyday????? new
      #306581 - 05/05/07 04:27 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

FREEZER COOKING! This is the only way I've managed. A while back, I bought a ton of the cheap "Tupperware" type containers that you get at the grocery store. Every time I cook, I make a double batch and freeze the extras in individual servings. As for "fixing different things everyday", you don't have to. I eat almost the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch. I know my tummy is happy when I eat apple cinnamon oatmeal every morning and a half turkey sandwhich and a banana for lunch. My family hasn't been happy with the EFI dinners, so I grab something that I've previously made and frozen and cook them their regular meals. I usually only have about 2-3 different dinners frozen at a given time, so my dinners don't vary too much throughout the week. It may sound boring, but it keeps my tummy happy. Snacks don't have to be fancy. My morning snack might be a couple low fat cinnamon graham cracks and half a glass of chocolate soy milk. For my afternoon snack, the other half of my turkey sandwhich.
Are you eating rice pasta because you are just avoiding wheat or do you need a gluten-free diet? When I first came to this website, I was gluten-free and it was SOOOOO hard. Most gluten-free breads are not IBS safe. After about a month on some prescription meds, I was able to eat wheat products again and staying on the EFI diet became much easier.

#306585 - 05/05/07 07:15 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Prescription meds helped you digest gluten better? What are you taking? Did you test positive for gluten intolerance on a blood test?

I also alternate 2 types of breakfast, 2 types of lunch, the same snacks, and variations on potatoes, quinoa, and chicken with a veggie (one out of a choice of about 5).

I don't know. I always ate the same breakfast and lunch when I was little too. I must say, I am tired of potato and chicken dinners, though. Even alternating between sweet and regular potato is getting boring....or cooking them baked, mashed, "french fries" and topping with different things like beans or squash or safe gravy. I live alone so when I make a meal, I also freeze or eat the other portions throughout the week. Boring, but it's the least of my problems at this time! Easier to shop for the same foods too.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#306594 - 05/05/07 08:55 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Are you GF or can you eat wheat?

I do also get a little sick of basing everything around certain SF foods that have to be in each meal, but we find a lot of different things to make. I cook meals from different ethnic groups to keep it interesting. There are these SF foods to use in a meal if you are not GF:
potatoes (as you know)
sweet potatoes
gnocchi
tortillas
regular pasta
soba noodles
rice noodles
bread like a loaf of good crusty french/italian
egg noodles
pizza crust
cornbread
several different kinds of rice: arborio(risotto), basmati, jasmine, sushi, long grain, even brown
couscous
misc grains like barley or quinoa
cooked mushrooms

Here are some easy meals:
make Heather's fantastic cornbread in a castiron skillet, marinate chicken in safe BBQ sauce and then bake and make one vegetable for a side.
make kabobs and have white rolls or baguette
make tacos and have long grain rice (with tomatoes and green chilis in it)
make jerk chicken and pineapple salsa and have grilled sweet potato wedges
make Pad Thai with shrimp
make barley with grilled veggies and throw in rotisserie chicken
make fajitas with mushrooms and flour tortillas

our basic meal in this house is fish, shrimp or chicken with jasmine rice and broccoli and I make a variety of Asian sauces or whatever for the meat. We love Thai and other asian foods and we love good sticky rice. I buy jasmine in sacks at Sam's Club and we eat tons. Another great one is put some Thai roasted chili paste (you can buy at store, I make mine) in a saute pan. Add some asparagus pieces and about 1/2c lite coconut milk. Cook about 4 min, then add 1-1.5# shrimp (raw and peeled) and cook until done. Serve over jasmine rice with lime and cilantro or Thai basil.
I don't have many snack/lunch ideas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#306601 - 05/05/07 10:33 AM
kamikat

No, they don't help you digest gluten better if you have celiac or gluten intolerance. I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance BEFORE there were blood tests, using just the gluten challenge. This past year, I finally had all the blood and gene tests. They all came out negative. However, without the meds, I have a severe IBS attack when eating ANY wheat product, even what would normally considered IBS-safe. Now, with the meds, I can eat IBS-safe wheat products without triggering an attack. My GI says that wheat (even EFI safe French bread) is a very common IBS trigger and in the past, used to be misdiagnosed as gluten intolerance since the removal of wheat would mean an end to symptoms.

Re: II am not on a gluten /wheat free diet. why? new
      #306611 - 05/05/07 02:28 PM
emmasmom

No I can handle stuff that has wheat in it like french bread and chips but like frosted mini wheats. I can't do them. is that the same thing? I don't eat wheat pasta I am afraid of what that might do. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!!!!! Keep the advice coming!
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas gas gas

kamikat new
      #306613 - 05/05/07 03:02 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

You never mentioned the pill you were taking. My daughter is border like Celiac, what ever that might mean, and they will check her again in about a year to see if the numbers have changed or not? They did it twice and both times it was border line. I was just wonder maybe she's gluten intolerance? Any way what was the name of the pills you were taking.
Thanks E.

Re: II am not on a gluten /wheat free diet. why? new
      #306621 - 05/05/07 04:32 PM
kamikat

If you can tolerate french bread, you should be able to tolerate regular pasta. Both are made with white flour. Things like mini-wheats are whole wheat, which are big triggers. A gluten-free diet means no oats,rye or barley in addition to avoiding wheat and is very difficult to follow while following the EFI diet.

Re: kamikat new
      #306622 - 05/05/07 04:35 PM
kamikat

If her bloodwork shows even a tiny amount of antibodies that means she has celiac. No medication will change that. No medication will allow her to eat wheat. Celiac is a genetic disease that will be with her for life. It doesn't matter if her numbers change. She should remain on a gluten-free diet for the rest of her life. If she has celiac diease and eats gluten products, it dramatically increases her chances of colo-rectal cancer, as well as a whole host of other diseases.

#306642 - 05/06/07 09:46 AM
Angel in Pain

WHAT is a EFI Diet ????????
Thanks, E.

#306646 - 05/06/07 11:42 AM
kamikat

EFI stands for Eating for IBS which is the book and the diet plan laid out by Heather on this website.

#306674 - 05/06/07 06:32 PM
Angel in Pain

Thanks, Boy am I embarrassed.
Thanks

#306791 - 05/08/07 07:29 AM
emmasmom

Don't be thats what this bored is for! Get the book if you can its a big help!
Emmasmom
ibs-c
gas gas gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 861 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review