All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-C and stool softeners
      #306520 - 05/04/07 07:29 AM
CubanMistletoe

Reged: 05/04/07

Hello, I was diagnosed with IBS about a month and a half ago. I've just ordered the Acacia fiber because FiberCon doesn't seem to be helping much with my constipation. I had been taking a docusate sodium stool softener that seemed to help, but i stopped taking it and found my self constipated again. The problem is that I am going out of town for the weekend in one week and I am staying at a friends house. I'm worried because I have pretty bad bloating and gas along with the constipation, and that could be rather embarrassing. I was wondering what would be the best way to keep these problems at bay for the weekend? I've been using charcoal, fennel, and peppermint, but none seem to help with the gas. Should I take the stool softener or something else for the constipation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C and stool softeners new
      #306523 - 05/04/07 08:21 AM
Cinsue

Reged: 04/25/07
Loc: Tustin, Ca.

Hi-
I am an IBS-C as well & someone suggested I try Natural Calm. It is amazing! I suffer from horrible bloating & gas as well, so I understand the embarassment. You can order it online-I'm not sure which stores carry it.

--------------------
Cindy Sue

#306536 - 05/04/07 10:58 AM
CubanMistletoe

Reged: 05/04/07

Thank you. I will check into that.

Natural Calm new
      #306547 - 05/04/07 12:34 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How much do you take? I usually take 2 tsp...but I'm also on Miralax. Coudn't go without either!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#306615 - 05/05/07 03:39 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

SOoooo Does taking Natural Calm or Stool Softener, harm any taking with benifiber or acacia? and How often do y'all take them. Also not sure were you get natural calm and is it a pill or powder? Even though my daughter goes now a little ever day she is still bloated very much and I'm not sure if she need to go more and would the stool softener would help. She was on stool softener off and on before we started the IBS diet.
Thanks for the help
E.

Re: Natural Calm new
      #306680 - 05/06/07 08:11 PM
laurab

Reged: 11/28/06
Loc: Boston

Hi Jordy,

Do you also take acacia? I cant seem to figure out how to make my C any better, and have thought about Natural Calm given the reviews. But not sure if that means i would stop the acacia. thanks,

Laura

#306700 - 05/07/07 06:46 AM
Jordy

No, I don't take Acacia. I couldn't tolerate it at all....or any other SFS. They just bloated me up and gave me gas and really didn't help the Constipation or my ability to eat more IF.

If you are tolerating the Fiber supplement, I think you should keep taking it even with the Natural Calm. Do you take miralax?

--------------------

#306703 - 05/07/07 08:02 AM
Cinsue

Reged: 04/25/07
Loc: Tustin, Ca.

I have heard about Miralax, and after this weekend might look into it. You take both?

--------------------
Cindy Sue

#306716 - 05/07/07 10:20 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

Hi, what kind of luck are you having with Miralax. I have been taking it and can't seem to find the right dosage. I have serious constipation and the only way I can go is with a laxative. It gave me D so I gave it some time to regulate and it didn't so I dropped the dosage just a little and stopped going again. I have adjusted it again and it goes back the other way. Frustrated!!! What are you taking for a dosage and can you offer any advice?????

#306724 - 05/07/07 11:42 AM
Jordy

Yes, both...unless I go too often or to Dish. Then I back off the Natural Calm. I haven't taken it over the weekend...but looks like tonight I will be on both again!

--------------------

#306725 - 05/07/07 11:45 AM
Jordy

This is a tough one for me too. Sometimes I go so well...and other times it's too much...and some days not at all! I, too, have been trying to play around with the dose, but the same thing happens when I reduce it just a tad...I don't go. So, I usually just stick to one dose a day no matter what. It's just easier that way.

Do you take it in the am or at bedtime? Did you answer this for me already?

--------------------

#306779 - 05/08/07 04:44 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

My doctor has me taking a capful (I forget how much) in the morning and at night, that is how bad my C has been. When I am taking nothing (laxatives) I can go well over a week with not a thing happening, even with taking fiber. However, when I swing to D it is affecting my job which I'm sure all of you deal with but I work with Autistic children (severe) and can not just run to the bathroom and it is causing problems. Luckily my employer has been understanding but I have missed quite a bit of time. by the way I have not heard of Natural Calm, what is it similar to??

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review