All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Struggling, please help
      #306435 - 05/02/07 07:44 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I have been changing my diet by not eating wheat or dairy and I have been drinking lots of pepperment tea, but still seem to be terribly bloated. Everyone talks about becoming stable but i'm not sure I fully understand how to do that. I am lactose intolerant and have trouble with most fruits and I'm not too sure how to increase my fiber intake. Does anyone have any suggestions of some things that might start to help me?

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Struggling, please help new
      #306452 - 05/03/07 07:04 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you read all the diet information on this site? Have you read either of Heather's books? It's hard to get a grip on the diet just by reading the boards...

Also, unless you have celiac disease, there's no need to cut out wheat!

--AC (who re-reads Heather's books at least once a year...)

Re: Struggling, please help: How much soy is too much? new
      #306457 - 05/03/07 08:13 AM
abby6126

I have read the diet information on the site and I do have Heather's book. I think I am having a hard time grasping how to add extra SF and limiting IF. I have cut back on wheat because I used to eat so much that it was giving me problems. Also, I was wondering how much soy is healthy per day? I have always eaten soy but have added more recently. I am severly lactose intolerant and have been trying the cheese and other soy products.

--------------------

Re: Struggling, please help: How much soy is too much? new
      #306461 - 05/03/07 10:41 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I have read the diet information on the site and I do have Heather's book. I think I am having a hard time grasping how to add extra SF and limiting IF. I have cut back on wheat because I used to eat so much that it was giving me problems. Also, I was wondering how much soy is healthy per day? I have always eaten soy but have added more recently. I am severly lactose intolerant and have been trying the cheese and other soy products.

Wait a sec - do you mean increasing IF and limiting SF? Actually, Heather's diet means you start out with a base of SF for every meal and add as much IF as you can handle. (With the caveat that you can try cooking or chopping up your IF to make it easier to handle.)

Since Heather's diet has *no* dairy, the lactose intolerance shouldn't matter. There's plenty of non-soy ways to get protein in your diet: chicken or turkey breast, fish and seafood(including tuna packed in water), lentils and other beans (hummus!), nut butters in moderation.... Check out the recipe index for inspiration!

--AC (whose lunch is decaf black tea with soy milk, pita with hummus, and an apple)

inceasing SF and decreasing IF new
      #306472 - 05/03/07 12:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Rice, pasta and potatoes - particularly when they are cool - will add SF to your diet. You can limit your IF by peeling vegetables and reducing your consumption of whole grains.

Wheat will only give you problems if you have celiacs disease. Have you been tested for this?

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? It would be helpful to put this information in your signature so that other know how best to advise you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: inceasing SF and decreasing IF new
      #306475 - 05/03/07 01:20 PM
abby6126

Thank you for the reply. I have been tested for Celiac and do not have it; although I did read that White and Sourdough are safer than wheat, is this true?

--------------------

#306483 - 05/03/07 03:36 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi, I'm sorry you feel bad. I'm doing pretty similar. Following the diet, still getting terribly bloated. Actually, I got so bad last night that I made an appointment with a new doctor today (he won't see me until the 22nd, however). I don't know if I'm lactose intolerant so right now I'm dairy free just to play it safe.
Even if you don't have celiac disease you can still be wheat intolerant. Try not eating any gluten for a few days and see how that goes.
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#306487 - 05/03/07 04:40 PM
abby6126

thank you for the message and I am sorry that you are not doing well. Good luck with your new doctor!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review