All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone else ravenous?
      #306402 - 05/02/07 09:21 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I've always had a big appetite, but lately I am in this pattern where I wake up around 7:30, have a bowl of oatmeal around 8:30 and I'm satisfied, then by about 10:30 I am ravenous! I know it is recommended to eat frequently, even every 2 hours, but my concern is that when I have that second meal I think I'm eating too much. Typically I will have a bagel (with Smart Balance Light) and some fruit but then I'm still hungry so I'll have a luna bar or some other granola type snack. If I wait until closer to lunch time, I'll have a sandwhich with turkey and tomato, baked lays chips, and then again...still hungry so I'll have another snack. Does that sound like too much at one sitting? I haven't had attacks from this, but I have been trying to lose a few pounds and I don't know if this is going to do it!!! lol

Does anyone else get like this? After this second meal, I am usually good until about 2-3 o'clock and I"ll try to make that a snack instead of a big meal b/c it is close to dinner time. I've never been one to count calories or points like in weight watchers. I have been watching the fat intake for the IBS which I think is alright except for days when I obviously indulge, but I can't help feeling sooo hungry and needing to keep eating at those times. Sometimes I am ravenous at dinner too so I am trying to eat a smaller meal knowing that I'll want something else afterwards anyway. The good thing is that I don't eat late at night though...I'm usually done eating my last snack by 7-8 in the evening.

I've read posts where protein is suggested to make us feel more full...what else besides turkey and peanut butter could I have in the am/afternoon? What about protein powders? Would you add that to a smoothie or my oatmeal? Does it add calories/fat?

Thanks for any advice.

(I am only 5 foot 1 inch tall and I weigh about 115 pounds. I exercise moderately...trying to walk 2 miles at least 3 times/week and I do some sit-ups and free weights often)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone else ravenous? new
      #306409 - 05/02/07 10:36 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

If you can tolerate egg whites, they are a good source of protein. I think there are several good egg white omlette and french toast recipies on this website.

I find myself very hungry at 10:00am and 2:00pm also, so I have to have a snack. All of my food is low/no fat, so I figure that I can have the snacks because I'm not eating fatty things that fill me up. I haven't gained any weight, so I think it works for me. Try keeping track of your weight and energy, and that will give you an idea on whether or not you are eating too much.

#306410 - 05/02/07 11:03 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hmmm... Yes, I tend to get hungry often. But for me I think it is that my breakfast doesn't have any protein. I just want it to be a really safe meal so I eat toast with applesauce and cinnamon and peppermint tea and a banana. Sometimes I don't get protein with my snacks either since it's hard to find good snack type protein that is safe. I think I will have to stop being so lazy and go to the deli and get myself some nice turkey slices and I'm also thinking about trying a protein supplement to make it easier to get protein for the snacks.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

If you're still hungry, it's okay to eat. new
      #306421 - 05/02/07 04:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Don't go hungry trying to stick to a preconceived notion of how we should eat. We're always told how our bodies work and what we have to do when really we are capable of determining just how much food we can eat and when we can eat it. If you're hungry, eat. If you're still hungry, eat some more. Just don't overeat. And only eat until you aren't hungry anymore. And keep you're meals safe for IBS. I eat several times a day and I hardly ever have "snacks". It's pretty much always a whole meal. But I quit eating when I'm not hungry anymore and I do just fine. As long as you keep exercising, it should be okay.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#306437 - 05/02/07 08:17 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It sounds like you're not getting enough protein in your diet. Try having some with every meal and it should help fill you up.

#306459 - 05/03/07 10:13 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

Someone told me to try peanut butter for protein but even the low fat kinds have too much fat, any other suggestions on that. I have tried protein powder but it seems to bother me for some reason, it was the only new thing I had been trying. I have chronic C but when I up my fiber and take laxatives the only way I seem to have any success is when I have D. I try regulating the amounts and then I stop going again, I can't find anything in between!

Thanks everyone...protein .... new
      #306464 - 05/03/07 11:00 AM
line415

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I agree about the protein. My concern is that I get gassy from peanut butter although I love the stuff. Sometimes I get gassy after a turkey sandwich too. Could it be the protein in these products? What other protein snacks are good? Interestingly, I used to get d from eggs, but when I started this diet and switched to egg whites I got gassy and just felt kind of "yucky" if that makes any sense from egg whites. I'll have to give it a whirl again though b/c that was months ago. Does it matter what kind of protein powder I use? I can try putting some in my oatmeal.

I do feel like since I've been walking I can eat a bit more, but I guess I'm struggling b/c I'd like to lose weight not just maintain my current weight.

--------------------

Re: Thanks everyone...protein .... new
      #306482 - 05/03/07 02:55 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I like to keep those faux crab legs (surimi) on hand. They are filled with good protein, as long as you aren't allergic to shellfish.

#306486 - 05/03/07 04:22 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You should not be taking any laxatives. Have you read the IBS inforamtion on the website, or just the boards?

Thanks...I like crab. n/t new
      #306566 - 05/04/07 05:49 PM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2386

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review