Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New here with one question
      #306232 - 04/30/07 10:26 PM
gnt

Reged: 04/30/07
Loc: NY

Dear fellow IBS suferrers,

I'm new posting here. I have been reading Heather's site (and books) and taking acacia, as she recommended, and basically following her diet. I have had major improvement, although, I am not sure it can be attributed to Heather's diet or to the improvement of weather (I live on the east coast and summers are horrible over here). We will see this summer.

So, the only problem I have is... SOY.

Apparently, going into previous threads, you guys have discussed both soy and milk extensively. People (I think one of the posters was Candey) have mentioned how detrimental soy is to humans and have posted links to studies about this... Many scientists have posted warnings about the dangers and explained extensively why and how exactly soy damages our health (and what it causes).

So, my question is, why do you guys drink soy milk if there are alternatives (to milk and to soy milk) such as rice and almond milk (and hazelnut milk too, that's pretty tasty). Do you truly trust the FDA (if you do, I recommend the documentary Sweet Misery: A poisoned world) and the soy industry who claims soy is the solution to all illnesses? I think those sources can't be trusted because of their interest in the matter, but even if they are right, the negative reviews should get us thinking.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just feel the responsibility to tell the people I have learned from (I've been reading the board for the last year, but never was brave enough to post... it might sound bad but I feel uncomfortable talking about my IBS) and I owe so much.

Do you even know about soy? Just google "soy dangers" and read on (I can post some links too if someone is interested).

Thanks
Gabrielle

P.S. I usually use almond milk in case someone wonders. I also like the hazelnut milk, but can't always get it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here with one question new
      #306235 - 05/01/07 03:09 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

I use rice milk, but for cheese and vegetarian substitutes there are only soy based usually and rice cheese isn't milk free in the uk (it contains whey)
to be honest, i am getting on with my life since ibs and dont want to read a report on dangers of a certain food, i eat fruit veg, exercise and try not to stress- it's enough for me.

#306239 - 05/01/07 05:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly? I don't trust the FDA. I don't trust the government. I don't trust articles about the dangers of soy. I don't trust anyone. No offense, but I don't trust you. (Hey, I don't know you. You shouldn't trust me either!)

Breathing will kill you too. Being born is a sure way to die.

I'm hardly going to fuss about a little soy, especially since, in my case, it really IS a little soy. I don't believe it's the miracle food they thought it was a few years ago, but in moderation, I fail to see how it's a problem. Soy, in moderation, has been a part of Asian cuisines for ages, and I don't see how it's been detrimental there.

As a board moderator, I'm going to ask that you NOT post links. I recognize and can appreciate that your intentions are good, but things like this often stir up drama and arguments on these boards FAR more often than they accomplish anything good.

#306241 - 05/01/07 05:48 AM
gnt

Quote:

i am getting on with my life since ibs and dont want to read a report on dangers of a certain food

Of course, it's your right to choose to do that... if you want to ignore available information, that's your problem (I mean, that's not my problem, not that I am making much more of a point here)

I hope you don't get any of the diseases directly linked to soy. God bless you.

-Gabby

#306244 - 05/01/07 06:04 AM
gnt

That's not bad No, I don't trust you either, I didn't say that I did... However, I do care about you and that's different, I hope you agree.

Of course we are all going to die, I don't dispute that. However, eating poisonous substances will kill us faster. Do you recommend ingesting high doses (or even small doses) of aspartame (assuming it didn't stir up IBS tummies) because we are going to die anyway and diet iced tea tastes good? I hope you don't. We, IBS-ers, are trying to eat right despite our conditions... why eat right if all of us are going to die anyway? You see yourself that that is not an argument to not seek information...

Quote:

As a board moderator, I'm going to ask that you NOT post links. I recognize and can appreciate that your intentions are good, but things like this often stir up drama and arguments on these boards FAR more often than they accomplish anything good.

OK, it is your right to want to hide this. I am not going to insist You also know your boards better and I recognise that.

I just pray for you (and the rest of the soy users here) that you don't get sick from it.

Going back to my previous silent state...
-Gabby

#306246 - 05/01/07 06:11 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Thank you for your concern. It's really hard to know what is safe and what isn't. Especially when the "experts" keep changing their mind!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Agreeing with Atomic Rose on this one... new
      #306255 - 05/01/07 06:55 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

The internet is full of articles and so called research and facts about everything and anything... Being a scientist myself I know you can't trust anything you read just because it says it's been proved in a study... I believe more in serious studies performed by serious people than random things I find on the internet.

Over here in Sweden we have a tv program called "You are what you eat". The woman in that program is all for alternative stuff and she claims to have the answers to how to cure everything from skin problems to IBS. And believe me her IBS advice is nothing like Heather's and my bowels would go crazy if I followed her advice instead of Heather's. She has also repeatedly pointed out that eating micro waved food will make you ill and she motivated that statement by referring to so called research. When a Swedish evening paper investigated it more thoroughly it turned out the researchers behind the article didn't even exist. It seemed it was just some random thing she had found on the internet.

It may be true that there can be some things that aren't good for your health but that still aren't forbidden by "national food agencies" whatever the right term is for that in English. I avoid MSG although the Swedish national food agency says it's ok in the small amounts that are allowed here. But in general I trust the information given by our national food agency much more than reports that pop up here and there and the current views of alternative nutritionists. The food agencies don't pick up on every little thing all the time, because research results often change rapidly and so they need to wait for substantial proof before they change any guidelines. Because research does change quickly I don't listen too much to what pops up occasionally. As an example: a few years ago people went on and on about how brilliant it was to use fructose instead of sucrose in food. Now research has instead shown that fructose is not good as a replacement for sucrose since it can lead to decreased insulin sensitivity and subsequently type two diabetes.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#306267 - 05/01/07 07:45 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

if i do get a disease, then im not going to know its from soy am i! theres not a disease you ONLY get from soy! im sorry, but this has upset me, i have spent the past few years dealing with my ibs, and found a lifestyle avoiding milk, eating reguarly and dealing with stress that has helped me no end. I eat low fat, I eat at least five portions a veg a day, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I exercise for over an hour at least 2-3 times and I am 21 years old, ive spent my teenagers years doing this. Every day I get weird looks and comments from my family, my friends, my colleagues, not to mention waiters in restarants! but i do it!!! and i feel healthier than i have in ages!So Im not having someone have a go on these boards, the only place where i can get support,for eating soy!
what do you want me to eat, paper!
you've made us aware of the research, now let it go, cos to be honest- ill admit it, i couldnt get thru life without my soy ice cream or soy cheese (ocassionally of course!)it doesnt harm by bowel- its healthier and low fat than dairy and to b honest, i could get hit by a car, stuck in earthquake or in a plane crash, who knows! thats life!

#306361 - 05/01/07 07:47 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Other cultures eat soy and are healthy. Everything in moderation should be the rule.

Re: Agreeing with Atomic Rose on this one... new
      #306931 - 05/09/07 06:36 PM
gnt

Hmm, well, I'm not a biologist or a chemist, I am just a statistitian (but well, scientist too, according to my degree and title) so I do not trust many studies either... Unfortunately, whoever pays determines the outcomes Especially when you have data that you can manipulate That's so sad.

Anyway, I understand you fully, that's why I don't look at the studies, rather at the so called historical data. That is, peoples who used soy, how they used it and what problems they had (if any). Studies (where things are "tested" on animals and then results are "measured" and "reported") are not to be (readily) trusted, and, I think, government organizations, far less so.

So, apparently, soy needs to be fermented (like in Tofu) to be eaten safely (that makes soy milk dangerous, because it is not fermented... they can do it the right way, but it would be expensive). It causes cretinism (an extreme case of hypothiroidism, that is a deficiency in the thyroid hormones, thyroid is an endocrine gland) by its general effect of suppressing the thyroid.

I am just concerned, that's all. They don't want me to post links and I won't. Plus, I have no time or strength to read the boards right now.

I agree with the "with moderation" idea, the only problem is we need to know how much "a moderate amount" is. If we were talking about some poison - it's 0 grams. If it's fat - it's well, personal, but no more than (compute your number given your calorie needs) grams. If it's soy, how much is moderate? I don't know. Some people tell you it's more, some claim it's less... how do we know? Just saying "moderate amounts" is not enough, unfortunately. That's why, I try to stay away from it. And I feel not everyone wants to hide from information the way an ostrich does (by sticking it's head in the ground), but people are so caught up in the endless living-with-IBS dance that they just don't turn to look for this kind of info.

Also, remember, some specific people might have done OK with soy, but lots of peoples on the earth lived without soy too. Does the mediteranean diet contain soy? I was initially confused by all this so I just avoided it altogether... But that's just me, of course.

Sorry, I just had food poisoning and have to go back to bed (we ate out for the first time in months and now... anyway, I am not here to complain). Thank God for my husband who took care of me.

God bless.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1818

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review