All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HElP....Chronic Constipation but desperately need to take calcium
      #306182 - 04/30/07 08:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How do I take calcium for my bones when I have chronic constipation? I really need the calcium supplement, but how can I intentionally put a pill in my body that I know will give me more pain from constipation, and possibly gas or pain? I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HElP....Chronic Constipation but desperately need to take calcium new
      #306183 - 04/30/07 08:58 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Calcium can be found in things like canned sardines or canned salmon because there are bones. The bones are soft and once you mash up the fish really well it's no big deal to eat them. It's not something you'd do everyday but it's another source besides pills. Broccoli also has calcium.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#306186 - 04/30/07 09:14 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I do OK with the Citracal products (calcium citrate, plus D, plus magnesium). I spread the pills out during the day--take them with meals.

Start with one pill a day, and work up to whatever you need (I take 5 per day). It can be done.

Also, get the soy and rice milk drinks that are "enriched" with calcium--that should help. Some studies show that women who eat less red meat metabolize calcium more efficiently--so the IBS diet should be good in that respect.

Are you taking any of the meds like Actonel or Evista? They help with osteoporosis, as does weight-bearing exercise.

C

TAKE CALCIUM GLUCONATE new
      #306205 - 04/30/07 01:22 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

its the most absorbable form of calcium and will not cause C

#306217 - 04/30/07 05:15 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried coral calcium? It absorbs very quickly and contains magnesium too. Here a link to one that I like. www.herbalab.com

#306227 - 04/30/07 06:17 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I have to agree with Calli66. I just switched my calcium from Carbonate to Citrate. I take an off-brand of "Citracal with D plus Magnesium" and I'm amazed at the difference. I made the switch only a week ago. Good luck!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#306247 - 05/01/07 06:21 AM
Jordy

Thank. Are you a C and still able to take this calcium without getting more C? How many milligrams a day do you take? Do you have to take anything else to conteract the effects....like Miralax or fiber supplements?

I have been taking cal/mag in the form of citrate, but still get constipated. I even take Natural Calm magnesium to make it more of 1:1 ratio instead of 2:1. I worked up slowly, but maybe I need to reduce and begin again. It's so frustrating....but I know my future health is in danger without the calcim.

I do take the calcitonin nasal spray for the bones...but it seems that half the time it drips back out!

Do you take any of the prescription drugs? Which one? I've heard they cause major GI distress, which is what keeps me from them. My mom and her friend took Actonel and it killed their stomachs...and they don't even have GI issues.

What are some weight bearing exercises?

--------------------

Thanks new
      #306248 - 05/01/07 06:23 AM
Jordy

I've talked to my doctor about diet and he doesn't think I could get as much calcium as I need from food alone. I cannot tolerate broccoli that well...and sardines are too fatty for me...even in water they are pretty high in fat, aren't they?

Hmm... my canned salmon doesn't have bones in it.

--------------------

Yep, I take the citrate form new
      #306249 - 05/01/07 06:25 AM
Jordy

And still get the constipation. Glad it works for you! My body just must be obstinent!

--------------------

I've read some things on glyconate and coral calcium
      #306251 - 05/01/07 06:28 AM
Jordy

Much of what I found didn't support these forms of calcium as making much of difference for the bones because you can't absorb enough of the calcium.

I don't know if that's true or not, though. Thanks for answering. I need all the advice I can get. I hate having to choose between broken bones and curved spine later...or pain and constipation today!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review