All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help-Vacation cruise-How do I handle it
      #306173 - 04/30/07 06:24 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Hello all, my husband and I have decided that we are finally going to take that cruise we have discussed for five years. I was very excited originally and now I am spazzing over my stomach. I have anxiety anyway and will really have to work to control my panic over being confined to one place - every if it is a very big place with no possible way to get off. Add to that now I am worried about food and eating. To me part of the appeal has always been the food and eating and eating till you drop. With my stomach now I can only eat small amount, anything too much and I literally throw it up, I had a half a chicken breast sandwich late last night for a night, a left over piece of grilled chicken with mustard and tomatoe and lettuce chopped up and that made me throw up. It is almost like my stomach can only hold so much and then I reflux it up and throw it up. I actually feel better afterwards.
Anyway any help on controlling both my stomach and my nerves will be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help-Vacation cruise-How do I handle it new
      #306177 - 04/30/07 07:58 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

One of the unfortunate side issues with having IBS and all its varied complications, is that eating no longer holds the fun it used to. I used to love to eat lunch out at work, (even though I paid for it later). Now, there are so few places I can safely eat I just bring my lunch. I would suggest, on your cruise, to write down what you know for sure you can eat. And stick to it religiously. Straying would just mess up your vacation. I find I can enjoy vicariously what others are eating and just know that the consequences for not following "the rules" are not worth it.
No, it won't be easy, and probably not much fun, to sit there and watch others enjoy the cruise fare, but if you follow your own guidelines, you can enjoy your vacation. Have a good time.

#306199 - 04/30/07 11:07 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Check out this post from my cruise in February!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#306540 - 05/04/07 12:20 PM
sandys

Reged: 03/22/06

Do you produce enough stomach acid? I used to throw up all the time until I found out I lacked stomach acid. Now I take beta-pepsin with every meal. More with more food, less with smaller meals. My food was never digesting. I no longer throw up my meals.
On the cruise issue, my IBS seems to get better on a cruise. Not sure why since I eat everything, maybe less stress?

Sandys-Question new
      #306735 - 05/07/07 01:41 PM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Actually, I produce too much stomach acid. What happens is that I will eat and it is "too much", which is hard to gauge, I get reflux really bad. Then my food or acid will reflux back into my mouth and eventually I will throw up. Sometimes, I want to throw up since I actually feel better afterwards.
My reflux is so bad that the other day I went walking and forgot my water, so I stopped at the store and got a bottle of water afterwards and guzzled it. I no sooner got home than it was coming back up. This was plain water.
Also, the two much seems to change, for example the other day I had a couple of egg whites scrambled, turkey bacon with two pieces of toast. THREE hours later I started tasting the bacon again and soon afterwards got sick. Not much undigested food.
I am on Prevacid for my reflux and at one time was taking two and then they switched me down to one a day since two did cause my stomach to not produce enough acid.
Does this sound anything like what you went through?

Re: Sandys-Question new
      #306754 - 05/07/07 05:11 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

i went to mexico during christmas, and it wasn't that bad of an experience, the buffets they had at the resort had plenty of food that I could eat, and i just made sure to have enough SF with every meal. The only difficult part for me was breakfast, as they didn't really have anything i could have safely. The most difficult part for me was the alcohol, i drank a couple nights and had the worst experiences ever both right after and the next day. So I would recommend avoiding alcohol all together!!!

I know it is so temping when everyone else is drinking 24/7, just try to fill up your day with fun activities away from the bars. The good stuff booked up earlier like snorkling gear, jet skis, and excursions and it was difficult for me especially since i didn't plan ahead at all both in terms of booking earlier and planning on spending more money.

Lastly, they had a la carte restaurants to choose from, which also booked up earlier...i know that there are foods that i tolerate much better than others...italian is usually good for me, meditarian seafood options also were fine, and they had a japanese stir fry which was fantastic and safe!!! I got stuck at a steakhouse one night so it wasn't fun afterwards, and also DO NOT DEPEND on room service, everything is fried, or has cheese on it.

My number on recommendation would be to definetely bother your travel agent and get as many details as you can about the cruise line/tour operators, so that you can plan all the details ahead time, and even if you can't book anything till you get there, at least you will be one step ahead of all the others.

Anyways, have an amazing trip!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 589 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review