All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HI
      #306170 - 04/30/07 04:09 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi, I don't usually post on this board although I read here occasionally. I've had IBS-C for about 6 years now and I'm going to try Heather's diet. I was hesitant to try it before because of the high amount of processed carbs (ever read the post about the "health-nut lady by Ruthie"? That's exactly how I feel ). But now I'm desperate and I really want to be helped.
My doc had me on a bunch of elimination diets last year - no fructose, no dairy, I tried no wheat on my own. I usually got a bit better just because I was too scared to eat anything. I also take Citrucel (the clear mix powder) and 1t of flaxseed oil every day.
I'm starting with "break the circle of IBS" today - I'll keep you posted !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HI new
      #306178 - 04/30/07 08:10 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi Zara,

I have been a 'health nut' for years and tried every kind of 'healthy' diet out to try and feel better (I am IBS-C, pain predominant). But Heather's diet has helped me the most. I was worried about all those white carbs, too, but I have realised that they are much easier on my touchy tum than the brown stuff. I have come to the conclusion that a 'healthy diet' is a very individual thing i.e. if what I eat causes me less pain and distress, it is therefore 'healthy' for me. As I always have done, I steer clear of artificial, highly processed foods and incorporate as much IF as I can tolerate with an SF buffer. It taken time to change my ideas - for example, I ate a large salad daily for years, little realising how much it was aggravating my pain. Now I eat well cooked fruits and veggies instead.

Hope the diet works for you too - keep us posted!

#306181 - 04/30/07 08:51 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Me too! Used to eat green salads, whole wheat, etc. Always got immediate bloating--as soon as I got up from the table!

In the Health Food World, it's like a "sin" to eat white bread, white rice, sugar, etc. We have to quit feeling guilty about some of the food choices that help us feel better.

C

#306185 - 04/30/07 09:10 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I never cared for full whole wheat breads (my husband always wanted it but now finds he has gas galor, even he's on light wheat or oatnut breads)so I was overjoyed to find out that eating white bread was the way to go for me. It's instant permission to eat well for you and not how others say you should. People joke at me when I say I can't the cake or cookies they are serving. They think it's because I'm watching my waste line. Then I tell them it's because they are wheat. I let them know that if ate them I would be sick for most of a week and in pain. That stops them cold. I look totally normal and seem to eat normally but they don't realize there is a pattern and reason to my eating. Do what you have to do for YOU to be happy and healthy.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#306210 - 04/30/07 03:48 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Thanks, everyone! The salad thing - that used to be me as well. Sadly, I still find it hard to eat well at some restaurants. If I want pasta, it comes bathed in fat . Oh well, I'll figure it out.
I ate mostly bananas and pealed apples and now I'm making myself a dinner of quinoa and cooked carrots.
Catnut, I also find it hard when people don't understand that I have certain diet requirements and think I'm just trying to lose weight. But now I don't care anymore. The people I care about understand and that's all that matters.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#306286 - 05/01/07 10:01 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I've started eating salads again but I use only a small amount of Spring mix and add quinoa, rice or pasta type of thing to it along with some chicken, salmon and such. I sprinkle on a bit of the Acacia to add to the SF factor and I do ok. My issue with veges is usually in the amount I eat. Too much and it's a problem. I also will cook baby carrots for dinner and whatever is left over can go into the salad. People look at my salads and get envious compared to what they are eating. With that said they are amazed when I say I can't eat wheat or dairy. I'm finding more people are educated about "alternative" diets and are curious to hear how I manage it compared to being put off. I still get those who feel bad when they offer something I can't eat. It's not an issue for me as I don't feel I'm truly living without. When I look at the food I can't eat I see red, pain and constipation. It has no appeal to me, so I'm not missing out. As Heather has said in one of her recipe write-ups. "Take a quart of this to any party and everyone will envy you"(about her recipe for sorbet).

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1070 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2411

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review