All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help
      #306149 - 04/29/07 12:44 PM
Deb58

Reged: 04/20/07

I seem to be bouncing all over the place trying to get this IBS thing under control I do ok for a few weeks and then I feel like I am back at the beginning. I have 2 other factors that seem to be problems also. The first is that I seem to be sensitive to gluten and the other is that I dont tolerate much fat due to having my gall bladder out. With all of this I get confused to what to eat. I am also allergic to most fish. I have also had an eating disorder for years ( binge eating) so all of this is really messing with me emotionally. Then the emotions seem to mess up my stomach and then here comes the diarrhea. I feel like I am on a roller coaster and dont really know what to do. Also alot of gluten free foods have hidden msg in them. (Like gelatin and guar gum and xanthen gum)I also seem to have gas and bloating. I could really use some words of encouragement. Thanks for letting me vent
Debbie-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help new
      #306165 - 04/29/07 09:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, the good news is that the IBS diet is low-fat to begin with, but CAN be extremely low-fat if that's what your gallbladder requires... and although there's a lot of wheat-based recipes in the index and books, you can definitely follow the diet without eating wheat.

One of the most important things with this is to be patient, and yes, expect bad days and feeling like you're not making any progress. The body, unfortunately, sometimes takes a while to figure out what to do with all this healthy living. I know it's cliche, but hang in there. It really does get better.

As someone who's dealt with eating disorders for most of my life, and who deals with the emotional aspects of it almost every day, I can't say enough how important it is to take care of that, too. What that means is kind of an individual thing... for some people, it's as easy as learning how to relax, perhaps with yoga or meditation or something "distracting" like a craft or hobby, or it may mean therapy, or medication, or some combination thereof. All I can really tell you is that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to stabilize IBS with any kind of excessive stress, anxiety, or other negatively-perceived emotion happening.

Anyway, I don't know if any of this was encouraging at all, but I do, at least, know how you feel. It took me a long time to feel like I was making any progress at all, but it did happen, and it'll happen for you too. Hang in there!

#306172 - 04/30/07 04:59 AM
foxj6

Reged: 04/24/07

I am new on this board and have suffered from eating disorders for over 20 years. I have been bulemic for many years and have good spells and bad spells. I'm pretty sure my eating habits through the years have not helped with the situation I'm in now with IBS. Bread really works for me and very low fat, and while the low fat part is fine, the bread is hard for me to deal with but if it helps me in the end, that's what I'll do. I know my health is more important now than anything else. Also the walking for 30 minutes after dinner has really helped me this past week. I was only diagnosed with IBS 3 weeks ago so I'm just starting this too. Good luck. Keep posting.

#306337 - 05/01/07 02:31 PM
Deb58

Thank you for your kind notes and information. When I wrote the other day, my head with spinning and feeling so overwelmed. As you know with an eating disorder all of this extra stress with the IBS symptoms makes me want to eat. And then I really suffer. I was re reading the trigger sections of this website today. Somehow I missed that I should be avoiding margerine and butter. I guess I was thinking I could use it in moderation, but I ate it this morning on waffles and suddenly realzied it is the fat that is keeping me out of control and causing the pain. After a couple cups of peppermint tea, it is easing up. I feel like the light finally went on. I just hadnt factored the fat thing in like I should have.
I hope your day is going well and stable.

Debbie

Edited by Deb58 (05/01/07 07:55 PM)

#306339 - 05/01/07 02:42 PM
Deb58

Bread can be a tricky food cant it? WE love it and hate it. I have only been at this a short time too. And sometimes I get so confused I dont know what to eat. I am thinking because I have been so unstable the last week, that I sould go back to the very safe foods for a few days. I am finding that fat of any kind is a big trigger for my pain. I like you have had an eating disorder, before they even talked about them. I too have felt guilty and that I have brought this on myself. But I am trying to look at this website and the changes I need to make as an answer to prayer. I dont have to stay trapped and in pain and I dont have to feel guilty. This is a place where I get to allow myself to get better.
Thanks again for writing

Debbie

Edited by Deb58 (05/01/07 07:57 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2792 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review