All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need Help!
      #306088 - 04/28/07 03:25 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Usually, I am IBS-D but as a result of becoming pregnant, I am currently hard-core IBS-C. I'm not used to this sort of discomfort & it's been really bad! I just can't figure out what I need to do to get the food "moving" through me at a more regular pace. I do the IBS diet for D but not for C so I feel like a total novice in this department. It's been weeks and I really need some advice and help to try and regulate my digestive system. Any advice to break the C cycle is welcome & thanks for reading!

Jennifer

--------------------
IBS-D!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Help! new
      #306090 - 04/28/07 03:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you tried upping your IF?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#306095 - 04/28/07 03:54 PM
MamaCat

I never took a fiber supplement before because my D got under control with my modified diet from Heather's books. Lately I have tried salads but they haven't helped. I do eat carbs mostly--what sort of IF is recommended for IBS C?

--------------------
IBS-D!

#306101 - 04/28/07 04:13 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm a D so I'm not sure what's best for getting things moving. Though acacia fiber is supposed to help with both C and D. I'd try working in as many various veggies as I could, but slowly and keeping track of them.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#306103 - 04/28/07 04:29 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Try fruits too and drink lots of water. Out of curiosity, how pregnant are you? I found that the further along I got in my pregnancies, the more "pressure" the baby put on "everything" down there which made me c (and I was a d too so I actually LOVED being pregnant!). Nothing really helped that much but I knew nothing about this diet then. Try eating smaller meals and make sure you have IF at each meal. Also, carbs are fine, but reduce the quantity at each sitting and see what happens. Just do it all slowly of course. HTH.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#306110 - 04/28/07 07:20 PM
MamaCat

Water is my primary beverage--I drink a TON of water and I do eat IF but mostly via pasta, bread, or crackers. I'm wondering what other IF I should get/ try. I'm three months pregnant and it has been a few weeks of this crazy IBS C. I am so bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable. All of this constipation has set off my GERD and the acid is atrocious due to the food back up.

I will definitely try the fruit/ veggies and some exercise. I walk a lot @ my job but at night I've been so tired that I crash/ nap.

I often eat a Luna Bar for breakfast--is that a problem for IBS C? What about soy? I've been eating Soy Dream ice cream because I try to avoid dairy whenever possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#306120 - 04/29/07 08:04 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I'm a C--and a big advocate of vegetable soups for IF. I buy a variety of veggies to use--I don't follow any recipes. I lightly sautee the chopped veggies in the soup pot with a bit of vegetable oil---celery, mushrooms, red pepper, parsnip, turnip, rutabaga, etc. before adding the liquid. And I usually put in a small can of tomato sauce and sometimes a small can of crushed or diced tomatoes for extra flavor--and season with Italian herbs and a little salt.

The soup can be reheated and eaten with the SF any time of day--this works best for me because I don't tolerate fruit too well.

Try substituting some of the soy milk with rice milk--the "beans" might contribute to more gas--that's what they do to me sometimes.

Luna Bars? I haven't tried them, but have not had much success eating any of the "energy bar/ nutritional bar" types. They're very concentrated, loaded with soy--and maybe hard to digest? Eating something that you're sensitive to, first thing in the morning, can mess you up for the rest of the day.

I think the first 3 months of pregnancy your body is full of new hormones and is trying to get used to it's new condition. So maybe things will settle down soon---hopefully.

C

#306123 - 04/29/07 09:26 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Soy can definitely be causing you gas/bloating. Try the rice milk or almond milk instead. Also, pasta, crackers, etc. are definitely not going to help the c. You need to have a meal for example like some pasta, then lots of safe veggies. Fruit smoothies as a snack or lunch are great. Frozen blueberries/banana and a touch of almond milk in a blender is all I mix and it helps me to go. You can increase the berries as you need it. I eat luna bars too but they may be causing you some gas. Do you like oatmeal? That's my staple breakfast b/c it is IF and SF plus you can add fruit or raisins to help more with the c. Also, how about brown rice? This would be less constipating than white rice as long as you can tolerate it which many of us can. If you are tired in the evening, try at least doing some stretches to get things moving...even if you're watching tv you can do this. Feel better!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#306140 - 04/29/07 11:42 AM
KonosMom

Reged: 03/19/07

Hi Jennifer --
Prenatal vitamins contain lots of iron which can cause constipation. I wonder if this is causing any of your symptoms. There are prenatal vitamins that have "colace" in them - it's a stool softener that balances the constipating effect of the iron. You could check your prenatal vitamins to see what's in them.
Congratulations on your pregnancy & I hope things straighten out quickly for you!! :*)

#306148 - 04/29/07 12:30 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I am a C so I sympathize with your current discomfort. Adding fruits and veggies to your diet will help you tremendously. Have fruit blended in a smoothy which will make it more tolerable for you. You mentioned that you eat pastas- adding well cooked veggies to your pastas is a great way to add IF to your diet. Pastas and crackers, unless wholewheat, are soluable fiber. To deal with constipation, you must add IF to your diet.

Also, try fennel tea for the gas and bloating. It helps.
Hang in there and feel better soon!

#306150 - 04/29/07 01:05 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I agree with Konosmom. I'm almost done (35 weeks) and my C really got bad. I think it was mostly due to the prenatals and the extra calcium. I upped my Benefiber and took 4 Colace a day but last week, I finally switched my Calcium from Carbonate (off-brand OsCal) to Citrate (Citracal) and that made a huge difference! I take the off-brand (Walgreens) Calcium Citrate Plus with Magnesium. (don't forget the plus with magnesium!) I'm amazed at how much a difference it has made.

You can do a search here and read up on what others think but the general thought is that Carbonate is better for D's and Citrate for C's.

I've been on the boards for some time now and never bothered to switch my calcium until now. There's so much information on this board and sometimes you just have to start slow. However, that might be a good place for you to start.

Good luck.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#306160 - 04/29/07 03:33 PM
MamaCat

THANK you for the tips, especially about the soy. I drink rice milk but have been eating the soy ice cream, Luna Bars, etc. I am going to try the oatmeal and I love the soup idea. I'm not used to eating SF like this so I feel clueless when it comes to what to eat. I have some frozen fruit so smoothie, here I come.

THANK YOU--I may have more questions as I go along!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#306161 - 04/29/07 03:35 PM
MamaCat

I definitely love brown rice and didn't think of using it since I eat it for IBS D. I am going to try that out & your tips on berry smoothies. THANK YOU for your help--I am a desperate gal!

--------------------
IBS-D!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review