All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone feel the effects 4-5 hours after eating?
      #305899 - 04/25/07 07:07 PM
mmasseychase

Reged: 03/18/07
Loc: Western Australia

I've noticed a few times now that if I eat a heavy dinner (i.e. pasta) or eat a bit too much at dinner and feel really full afterwards that I don't start getting an "attack" until a few hours later.

Last night I had spinach & ricotta filled ravioli around 5:30-6:00pm and then a bread roll around 7:30-8:00pm. By the time I went to bed at 8:30pm I was feeling pretty full and my guts were growling like crazy (even though I was sitting up reading not lying down) and they didn't quit for about 30-45 minutes. I eventually went to sleep around 9:30pm and then woke up an hour later feeling quite sick with an acidic taste in my throat. I got a hot water bottle to ease the nausea and settled back into bed about an hour later.

This has happened a few times now; I usually wake 4-5 hours after I've eaten dinner feeling full or sick. I also suffer GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and emetophobia (fear of vomiting) so waking up feeling sick usually spirals into a full on panic attack.

Does anyone else find it takes a few hours after eating to feel the effects? I'd always thought a bad reaction to food was quite instant. Could this be related to IBS or more to my anxiety/panic attacks & depression?

Thanks for your advice guys

--------------------
What doesn't kill you makes only makes you stronger; I just hope this doesn't actually kill me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone feel the effects 4-5 hours after eating? new
      #305902 - 04/25/07 08:14 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

There's a few issues with what you wrote.
First you can have an attack up to about 2 days after a certain meal that contains triggers. Attacks don't always happen right away. Also you really shouldn't be going to bed with a full stomach. You should wait at least 2 hours after eating before going to bed. And the most important thing is that you really, really need to avoid dairy if you have IBS. Ricotta is dairy.

Edited by Gracie (04/25/07 08:15 PM)

#305910 - 04/26/07 04:18 AM
mmasseychase

Reged: 03/18/07
Loc: Western Australia

It has been my understanding that triggers and reactions are individual to everyone.

Re your issues: I always try to eat at least 2 or 3 hours before sleeping. I did eat my main dinner (the raviolli) at 5:30-6:00pm and when I said I had a bread roll later on I meant a dinner roll, smaller than my fist. I was also sitting upright in bed reading and didn't actually lay down to sleep til 9-9:30pm.

I also don't have many problems with dairy, aside from icecream which I haven't eaten for about 3 months (and even then I don't know if it was a trigger). I have tried to stay away from most of the trigger foods, but manage to have small portions of all the following with no problems at all (when I say no probs I mean nothing other than my usual C and no gas or cramps more severe than usual):

Beef mince, BBQ chicken incl. skin, cake, muffins, cream used on cakes, butter, milk (in small amounts), cheese, mayo, tartare sauce, lollies, crisps and chocolate.

The only foods I have had problems with so far are fresh, peeled pears and applesauce. They caused immediate nausea, some pain, gas and bloating. And yes, I am going to be tested for fructose intolerance/malabsorption though I can eat bucketloads of honey with no problems. So again, it's either a unique case of IBS (as many people's is) or something completely unrelated. I was really just looking to see if anyone else had the same delayed reactions as I did.

--------------------
What doesn't kill you makes only makes you stronger; I just hope this doesn't actually kill me.

#305915 - 04/26/07 05:11 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

So you're one of the lucky ones who don't have a problem with dairy!

Dairy is a trigger for me, but I don't have problems with some other trigger foods, either.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's not unusual for me to feel the effects for 12 hours or more and sometimes up to two days.

#305918 - 04/26/07 07:12 AM
foxj6

Reged: 04/24/07

My attacks are always around midnigh to 1:00 in the morning. I go to bed feeling fine and then wake up with the terrible nausea (ending up with the vomiting and diarrhea and passing out). But mine is never even remotely close to eating dinner. Always about 5 or 6 hours later.

#305949 - 04/26/07 02:03 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

My symptoms also usually occur at night. I am actually fine in the am, and I tend to restrict my diet more as the day goes on. The attacks (D, horrible pain,nausea) usually happen between 11pm and 1am for some reason. My anxiety starts to spiral upwards when I recognize what is happening, and I have had some success with deep breathing and repeating "I'm OK" to myself. Sounds simple, I know, but it does help me.

Hope this helps!

Do you react to dairy? The ricotta cheese would kill me!

#305983 - 04/26/07 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Last time I tried to have a 'normal' meal and indulge myself with roast beef and brie and chocolates and tea I got D about 4-5pm but I ate at 11:00am. I was making stinky gas and mildly gurgly all afternoon but it took hours for it to really hit.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#305994 - 04/26/07 11:23 PM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I agree "mmasseychase",triggers and reactions are individual to everyone, they can be so unpredictable too. There have been times a meal has affected me within an hour or two of eating it, or not until the the next morning, sometimes a certain food will bother me, other times it won't. Having lived with IBS-D for over 25 years (not too much was known back then about IBS, a lot of trial and error, we never talked about it, no computers... so no Support Boards),I know only too well the many different ways it can frustrate and interfere with life! You only have to read through these IBS Forums to see that and though many of us suffer from many of the same debilitating symptoms,what will work for one will not necessarily work for another. Also keep in mind there are severe cases and the not so severe cases.

#306062 - 04/28/07 04:54 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Yes, this is what happens to me too. Sometimes even longer for the effect to be felt. I guess this is because our digestion track is messed up and things go through a lot slower than normal.

#306203 - 04/30/07 12:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

If something is going to give me D, 6 hours seems to be my magic number.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#306219 - 04/30/07 05:26 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I usually I don't feel the efect until the next day. If I eat something "bad", I don't get sick until about 2pm on the following day.
I also believe I can tolerate dairy. For now, I'm really trying to follow the diet so I'll wait until I'm stable and slowly add it to my diet again.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1661 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review