All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Odd symptoms
      #305644 - 04/22/07 12:05 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

Hi! I'm new to IBS, and I guess that I am looking for some sort of common ground. Here's my story. At the end of Oct 2006, I began having these "attacks" that would send me to the emergency room. The attacks begin with D, then this curious sweating, flushing sensation, followed by nausea and excruciating (like labor kind of excruciating)abdominal pain. I had x-rays and a HIDA scan for my gallbladder, which wasn't working, so I had it removed in Nov. End of problem, right?

Well I was fine until Jan, when the attacks started up again, usually ending up in the ER. I had more X-rays, a CAT scan, and lots of lab tests, but nothing was abnormal. I was finally admitted to the hospital at the end of Feb, where I had an MRI, endoscopy, and colonoscopy. The gastroenterologist dismissed me, saying all the tests were normal, and I have IBS. He never even bothered to see me after the tests, he just told the hospitalist, who relayed the message to me. I got mad and left the hospital, weighing 30 lbs less than I did in Nov.

After I was done being angry, I looked up IBS on the internet and came across this site. I bought Heather's First year and recipe books. I have felt better, and was trying to incorporate more IF and veggies in my diet by using SF as a base, and I haven't touched a trigger food since Feb. I have two problems: one is that I had another attack last night (my attacks are usually around midnight)but was able to work through it with the drugs my regular MD gave me to use "just in case". I don't know what triggered it. The other problem is that I am so incredibly tired that I can't get much done after 2:00pm. My regular doctor is not convinced of the diagnosis of IBS, but I would have to travel two hours to see another gastroenterologist for a second opinion (I live out in the middle of nowhere). I'm not sure what to do. Does this sound familar to anyone? Sorry for the long post, but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Odd symptoms new
      #305651 - 04/22/07 02:41 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Hi,

It sounds like your tests were pretty comprehensive. A second opinion never hurts but you seem to have a pretty solid diagnosis.

It takes a while to stabilize your tummy and even though things improve it isn't unlikely that you'll still have attacks on occasion "for no reason." It might also be that some trace amount of a trigger was in a meal and you didn't even know it.

Quote:

a HIDA scan for my gallbladder, which wasn't working, so I had it removed in Nov. End of problem, right?

I've heard from a lot of people lately who have developed IBS (or at least IBS symptoms) after having their gallbladder removed. Have you discussed Dumping Syndrome with your docs?

Quote:

The gastroenterologist dismissed me, saying all the tests were normal, and I have IBS. He never even bothered to see me after the tests, he just told the hospitalist, who relayed the message to me.

This, too, is pretty common. A lot of docs dismiss us when they dx us with IBS. We have to be pretty pushy to get what we need and to have docs talk with us. That being said, there are some wonderful doctors out there. They're not all that way.

Read through the diet info and if you haven't picked up Heather's books, I highly recommend doing so.

Ask any questions you have and welcome.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#305661 - 04/22/07 04:37 PM
kimberste

Thank you so much for your reply. It seems that my symptoms are so strange, that it is good if you have heard similar things. One symptom I forgot to mention is that after the pain of an attack, I get the shakes, like when you have a high fever (but I don't develop a fever).

What is Dumping syndrome? Does it have something to do with bile going directly into the intestine and irritating it? I read something about that in Heather's book, but I'm not familar with the term.

Thanks again!

#305669 - 04/22/07 08:05 PM
hohoyumyum

There have been times when I have gotten the shakes during or after an attack. You're symptoms do seem a bit toward the extreme but nothing I haven't heard of before. In fact, mine used to be very much like yours.

Dumping syndrome is basically when the contents of your stomach are "dumped" to rapidly into your intestine. Here's a link to more info.

If you haven't yet, check out the hypno audio program.

--------------------

#305682 - 04/23/07 05:29 AM
kimberste

Thank you for the link - I do have a lot of those symptoms - I'll have to look into it.

I'm still not sure its IBS because the symptoms are so severe, but the diet seems to be helping, so I'll stick with it for now - but I sure miss my morning coffee.

Thanks for your support!

#305744 - 04/23/07 06:11 PM
hohoyumyum

Quote:

I'm still not sure its IBS because the symptoms are so severe

Go with your gut. Your symptoms are severe, and if you don't agree that IBS is the cause, keep searching.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

--------------------

#305747 - 04/23/07 06:19 PM
thetreester

Reged: 07/26/04

It sounds like you've been through the mill. I had ibs before I got my gall bladder out. I believe that since I was already on this low fat diet, I wasn't as affected as some people are with the lack of gall bladder. I know it bites to not eat some of the foods you used to, but its your choice! I'm a pretty disciplined person, so I'm more likely to choose not to eat something that will make me sick.. but it's not easy ALL THE TIME, but esp at first.

Hang in there

#305912 - 04/26/07 04:51 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

Hi, I am new to the message board and have posted some questions with no response yet. I am happy to see someone who is "chatting". I understand exactly what you are going through! I have had IBS for years but it has gotten significantly worse last fall into this year. I have also recently been diagnosed with diverticulitis and am doing everything I should be regarding diet and am still having weekly flare ups. Frustrating does not even describe what I am feeling. I am awaiting a colonoscopy that will hopefully show a little more. If I can help you I would be more than happy to.

#305946 - 04/26/07 01:33 PM
kimberste

Thanks for your post. It is frustrating when you can't figure out your own body. You mentioned a colonoscopy - The worst part is the stuff you have to drink beforehand, the rest you sleep through. I didn't have any afteraffects except some gas - other than that, I couldn't tell that anything had been done.

Did you have any kind of extra stress in the fall that could have triggered your worsening symptoms?

Take care, and thank you for your kind words.

On "chatting" and not getting answers new
      #305956 - 04/26/07 03:23 PM
hohoyumyum

I've noticed lately that there have been many more question than answers on the boards. It seems to go in waves. Sometimes lots of questions, sometimes lot of answers.

When you post a new thread and it receives no reply, you can reply to it yourself with "bump n/t" in the title to let people know you are still seeking a response and to give new people a chance to see it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review