All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need advice on adding IF...Anyone? Confused here.
      #305453 - 04/19/07 05:02 PM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

I've been on the diet for a couple weeks now, including SFS and Fennel capsules when necessary. I'm eating SF as the basis of each meal and snacking on rice cakes or SF cereals between meals so I don't get too hungry. All of these things have helped a lot. But after reading through the recent posts, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough insoluble fiber, which may be why I'm still not having regular bm's. (I'm C. It's improved with the diet, but still not regualr.) I'm really scared to add IF, as it seems to be problematic for me.

So far, I've tried eating an apple with the peel on and a small salad after dinner. I also put some raw greens on my sandwich at lunch. I'm guessing this isn't enough. What are other good ideas for insoluble fiber. I'm kindof a picky eater, so I could use quite a few suggestions.

Also, it seems contradictory to the diet to eat tons of IF. I thought you were just supposed to have small amounts of IF with a good SF base to your meal.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Carolyn
IBS-C

Edited by Carolynjoy1228 (04/19/07 09:54 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump new
      #305475 - 04/19/07 09:48 PM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

Bump
Please help!

Re: Need advice on adding IF...Anyone? Confused here. new
      #305494 - 04/20/07 07:07 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Ways that I incorporate IF:
Always take SFS before I eat them.....then
Instant Oatmeal w/ raisins
Smoothie with soy/rice milk, banana, and small amount of berries
Soy yogurt with 1 TBSP. ground flax seed
Cooked Spinach
Cooked greenbeans
I also noticed you eat raw lettuce. I think this may be difficult to be the first IF to incorporate. Maybe wait until you are more stable. Also have you tried Natural Calm at night. All of these have me on my way to being stable.

#305495 - 04/20/07 07:13 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You may have more luck getting your IF from cooked veggies instead of raw ones. The safest way to have IF is cooked, purreed, ground up. Maybe start with cooked spinach, carrots, peas, green beans etc. Also try some berries with your SF cereals, I find blueberries the easiest to tolerate. Ground flax seeds are good for getting things moving.

The key to getting enough IF is to spread it evenly throughout the day. Don't pile it on at dinner, try to have a bit with every meal/snack. You'll have to play around with your tolerance for how much SF you need to buffer the IF, and how much IF you can tolerate.

--------------------
Kat

#305527 - 04/20/07 10:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Also, it seems contradictory to the diet to eat tons of IF. I thought you were just supposed to have small amounts of IF with a good SF base to your meal.

Not exactly! Let Heather explain: Insoluble Fiber and IBS

In short, you should be getting as much IF as you can tolerate. Many IBS'ers have found that IF from fruits and vegetables is more tolerable than that from whole grains - good thing, too, since they're so good for you!

--AC

#305547 - 04/20/07 03:17 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

Also, it seems contradictory to the diet to eat tons of IF.

This isn't always the case. For some people, it couldn't ring truer. However, for others, the majority of their diet is IF. You should be incorporating as much IF into your diet as you can while using, as you already are, a SF base. What's more, for some people, the ratio is constantly changing. When I first started this diet, I was almost %100 SF. Now, if I don't incorporate a decent (for me) amount of IF into my diet, I have all sorts of troubles. I always sautee, broil, or steam my veggies to make them easier to digest. Steamed veggies on rice or pasta is very good. I love sauteed green veggies with fish over rice. Yum!

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#305549 - 04/20/07 03:23 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Howdy,

I'm new to the board and finding it really interesting to hear of so many who have the same issues. Everyone I know is IBS-D. I've been using the Acacia fiber for the last week and half since I had to get off the Zelnorm. I'm still using Miralax. If you really have trouble I have found it to be a lifesaver the last 2 years(especially when traveling). That could help to get you going regularly- no pun intend and it's not habit forming. I think the trick is to soften things up so it will move and let the irriation heal.

Till then do what the others have suggested and make sure what you eat that is IF is pureed, cooked well or chopped up. Pea soup is great and very easy to make. It handles a lot of different flavors too. I've been having good luck with a mix of greens like a spring mix or baby greens. I make a salad with them but also include rice or quinoa along with other chopped veges and chicken or turkey. It's very filling and satisfying. I eat some applesauce with the acacia mixed in before I start on the salad. Rice crackers or cakes or something of that sort come after for a "dessert". Just a thought- anything that is really stringy- asparagus, celery and such must be cooked and lettuce can fall into that same catagory. I never did like eating apples with the peal and now I know why.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#305555 - 04/20/07 05:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You're IBS-D and your doctor gave you Zelnorm? I thought Zelnorm was for people who are C.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review